• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Kyle@Resposio
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 4:16:24 PM(UTC)
Kyle@Resposio

United States

How can I isolate and edit the styling for a specific column on a category page? I have tried to edit the style.css directly, the foundation.min.css and even the category template called "simple list" after isolating what I thought was the correct column (I had a colleague more experienced than I help me out as well, but he knew no more than I did because it is new to him as well). But, time and time again after doing at least 50 edits (it was a lot), neither him or I can figure how isolate the column directly.

Edited by user Thursday, March 26, 2015 4:24:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Removed URL for security purposes.

Kyle@Resposio attached the following image(s):
site_edit.png (147kb) downloaded 13 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Nathan
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 4:47:37 PM(UTC)
Nathan

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
1. You mentioned the simple List Template. Is that the template your category is set to use?

2. What template are you looking at/editing/styling against?
/bvmodules/themes/categorytemplates/simple list/
or
/bvmodules/categorytemplates/simple list/

3. Do you want your change to only effect categories that use the Simple List Template?

Nathan Baker
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
Kyle@Resposio
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 4:56:36 PM(UTC)
Kyle@Resposio

United States

1. Yes that is the particular template the category is set to use

2. /bvmodules/categorytemplates/simple list/ is the template I had edited previously. I had removed the edit, which then reverted the column back to the way it was before. My main concern is the "Search" button because now the "h" is cut off.

3. And yes I do want the change to affect only categories that use the Simple List Template.
Nathan
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 9:29:45 PM(UTC)
Nathan

Kyle,
Are you creating your site theme by 1. editing the Foundation4 Responsive theme directly, 2. editing a duplicate of the Foundation4 Responsive theme, or 3. starting from scratch?

If your active theme is Foundation4 Responsive or a duplicate, the site is using the theme's version of the Simple List category template /bvmodules/themes/YOURTHEMENAME/categorytemplates/simple list/, not the Simple List category template located at bvmodules/categorytemplates/simple list/.

The ability to override core files from within a theme is a new BV 2015 feature. You can read about it on the blog here: http://www.bvcommerce.com/blog/post/2015/03/05/New-Theme-Architecture-in-BVC-2015
The Foundation4 Responsive theme makes extensive use of this new feature.

In order to target the Search content block within your template's Content Column, add at least one class to your category template.

Let's say I add a class to the out most <div> of the Simple List template.

class="simple-list"

Now I'll have the hook I need to target anything within that class from my stylesheet.

If I needed to style the Search Box content block text input I'd add this to my stylesheet:

.simple-list .search input[type=text] {
color: red
}

Only Search Box content blocks on categories which use the Simple List Category Template will be affected.

I hope this helps.
Nathan Baker
BV Commerce
Kyle@Resposio
#5 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 10:44:41 AM(UTC)
Kyle@Resposio

United States

Thanks for the information, Nathan. I was actually able to increase the column width and in doing that made the search button itself expand thus revealing the entire word.

I have a new question now: I noticed in the BV Admin side of things, the categories list is in a content block called "Category Menu." I have tried looking for a template for that, but I have come up with nothing. When looking at a browser's Developer tools, I am seeing the Menu as: <div class="categorymenu block"</div> and underneath that; <div class="decoratedblock"</div>.

In order to target this particular element, how would I go about doing this? My goal is to make the Category Menu and the graphic next to each other.

Thanks.
Nathan
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 9:25:04 AM(UTC)
Nathan

Glad to help.

Is your theme responsive? I was concerned, if it is, that browser resolution changes may affect your column fix since typically, responsive column widths flex. What fits at higher resolutions may not fit at lower. Just something to consider.

To address you're new question:

Content blocks live in the /bvmodules/contentblocks/ directory. The Category Menu content block is one of many you'll find there. To change the markup of Category Menu you'll need to edit or override(preferred method) the content block's view.ascx file.

Location of the core Category Menu view.ascx file...
/bvmodules/contentblocks/category menu/view.ascx

In BV Commerce 2015 we have the ability to override content blocks from within the theme.
To override the markup of the Category Menu content block, add a new directory to your theme called "ContentBlocks" and copy and paste the directory of the content block you wish to override into it.

So the directory structure will look like this...

BVModules/Themes/YOURTHEMENAME/ContentBlocks/Category Menu/

Then you can edit the view.ascx file inside your theme and leave the core files alone.
For more info, read: Powerful Theme Architecture of BVC 2015

Am I correct to assume that you are editing an existing theme?
If that is indeed the case it may not be pertinent, however, I feel like I should point out that the newer category menu content block (Category Menu Plus) is all I ever use. Category Menu is really just there for legacy themes.

If you haven't already, read the blog post entitled "The Power of Content Columns" for some useful information about content columns.

Nathan Baker
BV Commerce
Aaron
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 1:25:29 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
One other thing that might be helpful is to create a fresh install of BVC 2015 so that you have a solid reference point for how to setup and use the responsive theme,
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Poonam120
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2020 5:50:29 AM(UTC)

Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: Not specified