• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

sternyy
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:52:52 AM(UTC)
sternyy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We have a lot of B2B customers that want to use a credit card but reference their own company PO number. They enter in the credit card info, then click the PO radio button to place their order, not realizing they changed the payment method to PO and all the credit card info is removed. It becomes a hassle for customer service to explain and retrieve the credit card. Most customer's get annoyed (on top of giving the wrong mail address) which makes the whole purchasing process a bit of a mess.

Does anyone else run in to these issues?
matt
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:00:31 AM(UTC)
matt

I agree, maybe having a "Customer Reference" Field at the checkout page?
Aaron
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:05:36 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sternyy Go to Quoted Post
They enter in the credit card info, then click the PO radio button to place their order, not realizing they changed the payment method to PO and all the credit card info is removed.

That's one of the reasons that the new checkout in 2013 hides the credit card fields when you select another payment method. If customers are still missing this UI clue then you should use the instructional text area to the right to explain it to them.

We have a lot of B2B customers that want to use a credit card but reference their own company PO number.

Originally Posted by: matt Go to Quoted Post
I agree, maybe having a "Customer Reference" Field at the checkout page?

If you didn't want to customize the checkout you could instruct customers to enter their PO in the Special Instructions textbox. Beyond that I guess this would require some customization.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
sternyy
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:35:04 PM(UTC)
sternyy

Originally Posted by: Aaron Go to Quoted Post

That's one of the reasons that the new checkout in 2013 hides the credit card fields when you select another payment method. If customers are still missing this UI clue then you should use the instructional text area to the right to explain it to them.

Ya we do already do that, but they still skip over it. They still think that because they select the credit card info, then click the radio button for PO, its still using the credit card method to pay for the order, even with the new checkout. We instruct them that if they want to use a credit card and reference a PO number, they need to put the PO number in the special instructions field. 90% of the time it doesn't happen.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:08:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Aaron
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:30:36 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Ya we do already do that, but they still skip over it. They still think that because they select the credit card info, then click the radio button for PO, its still using the credit card method to pay for the order, even with the new checkout. We instruct them that if they want to use a credit card and reference a PO number, they need to put the PO number in the special instructions field. 90% of the time it doesn't happen.

Users... :) Given that I'm not sure what the solution is. If you added another field, like Matt suggested, where would it go and how would it relate (or not) to the payment methods?
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
toolsup
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:19:06 PM(UTC)
toolsup

We have this problem quite a lot. the customer enters the credit card information and then enters a po, after the po is entered the credit card information is removed.

The po field should be allowed with other payment methods.

I think hiding the fields is going to be confusing to the customer.

Matt
Thanks Matt
Aaron
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:55:07 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

If the customer is paying with a credit card, how do they expect the PO number that they enter to be used?
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
sternyy
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:07:03 AM(UTC)
sternyy

My CSR's tell me the customer wants to use a PO number because they use internally with their company. I guess they need it referenced somewhere on the order for when they submit it to their invoicing or financing department. I've found with our customer base, most customer's do not take the time to read any instructions and just point and click.

Normally, for us, if a customer chooses PO number at checkout, we create an account for them internally, do all the credit checks, ship and then invoice the order for whatever our terms are. The problem is, I think the customer thinks PO number at checkout is for them to use, even though they still want to pay credit, check or cash.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:10:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

lcasey
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:26:31 AM(UTC)
lcasey

Yes - a "Customer Reference (PO number, etc.)" field in the credit card payment screen would be useful for B2B sales. In our case, many customers need to put a PO number or similar on the order for internal reference when they have prior internal approval for a purchase with credit card.
MarcoM
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:50:42 PM(UTC)
MarcoM

United States

We also do some B2B Sales and I agree that it would be very useful to be able to associate the Credit Card method of payment with an actual P.O.#!

We will still need a "Payment On Account" or "Pay Later" method of payments with the option to input as well a P.O.# (just like is working the current Purchase Order method of payment option).
I am sure that other vendors like us have some B2B customers that pay by C/Card while others have a Net 30 Days account, therefore having both method would be great.
MarcoM
Aaron
#11 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 7:46:45 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

If customers are still missing this UI clue then you should use the instructional text area to the right to explain it to them.

Ya we do already do that, but they still skip over it.

I just took a look at your checkout. The instructional text to the right is very subdued and easy to ignore. If this is critical information, as it seems to be, I think you need to make it louder (e.g. larger type, color, graphics, etc).

Also, you can add description text to the PO payment method by going to Options >> Payment >> Edit Purchase Order; currently this text is blank on your site. You can use this text to tell users not to use this payment method if they are paying by credit card.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Aaron
#12 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 8:20:24 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Originally Posted by: MarcoM Go to Quoted Post
We will still need a "Payment On Account" or "Pay Later" method of payments with the option to input as well a P.O.# (just like is working the current Purchase Order method of payment option).

Do you need another payment method or can you just use the existing purchase order payment method?
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Aaron
#13 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 8:21:00 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

It sounds like most of you need the ability to enter a PO number with any payment method that's used, not just credit cards.

My CSR's tell me the customer wants to use a PO number because they use internally with their company. I guess they need it referenced somewhere on the order for when they submit it to their invoicing or financing department.

Originally Posted by: lcasey Go to Quoted Post
In our case, many customers need to put a PO number or similar on the order for internal reference when they have prior internal approval for a purchase with credit card.

For this to be referenced by the customer it needs to be a field that can be referenced by a replacement token so it can be used in email templates.

From an implementation standpoint I'm thinking that we could store the PO number in a new field in the order table, a custom property (of the order), or a public note. I see pros and cons to each approach. A custom property of the order probably makes more sense than adding a new field to the order table; either way we would need to add a new replacement token for email templates. If we used public notes there is already a replacement token for that, but the downside is that the PO number would be mixed in with any other public notes that might be added to the order (granted, public notes are typically only added in the admin).
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
sternyy
#14 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 10:03:26 AM(UTC)
sternyy

I just took a look at your checkout. The instructional text to the right is very subdued and easy to ignore. If this is critical information, as it seems to be, I think you need to make it louder (e.g. larger type, color, graphics, etc).

Also, you can add description text to the PO payment method by going to Options >> Payment >> Edit Purchase Order; currently this text is blank on your site. You can use this text to tell users not to use this payment method if they are paying by credit card.

Ya we have done it multiple ways. I could honestly put it in bold flashing text and they still would not pay attention. We have tried so many different ways of presenting important text, but it still gets ignored. In our case, i think there needs to be some type of field for reference with each payment method, but that might not be the case with anyone else.

Remember the conversation you and I had about which browser and resolution is most widely used on our site... ya its that bad... ;)

Edited by user Friday, September 27, 2013 10:04:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MarcoM
#15 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 11:58:05 AM(UTC)
MarcoM

United States

Originally Posted by: MarcoM Go to Quoted Post

Do you need another payment method or can you just use the existing purchase order payment method?

I can definitely still use the existing Purchase Order payment method (we use it now), so that can stay "as is" .
MarcoM
Aaron
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 9:40:53 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

We're preparing to implement this functionality for the next release of BV Commerce, and I wanted to share the details of how we're planning to do it. I believe this addresses everyone's needs, but I wanted to run it past you guys to make sure that we're not missing anything.

• Add "customer reference number" field to each payment method (except the current Purchase Order method, of course)
  • Add admin options to edit this new field's name and to enable/disable it--these settings will apply to all methods rather than being an option for each method
  • Data will be stored in the existing bvc_OrderPayment.purchaseOrderNumber field in the database and be accessible from the existing Orders.OrderPayment.PurchaseOrderNumber property in the Core.
  • The existing [[Order.PurchaseOrderNumber]] replacement tag will retrieve this value for your templates
  • The PO number field for the existing Purchase Order payment method will be hidden until the method's radio button has been selected (similar to how the credit card fields are hidden until the credit card method is selected)
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce