• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Zorkmaster
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 5:33:10 PM(UTC)
Zorkmaster

United States

Need to move my installation of BV from 2008R2 - 64 bit to a new server "right away". The old server is not working well. Using version 2018.0.1.2031

I have successfully performed the following:

1. Copied web files.
2. Configured and provisioned IIS 10.0 to serve the BV web site (Server 2016 - 64 bit).
3. Backed up and Restored the BV database to its new location (MSSQL 2014 - 64 bit).
4. Edited the web.config BV connection to refer to the new MSSQL 2014 installation.
5. Confirmed the new "BV connection" string in the web.config is working via the 2014 SQL manager.
6. Set up the server's local DNS pointing the domain to the new server IIS web site; so I can use the "server's" local browser to test (via remote desktop).
7. MSSQL and IIS are installed on the same (virtual) machine.

Upon navigating to the store home or "BVAdmin" page on the new server (local browser, via remote desktop), I receive:

"provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified"

Since I have confirmed the SQL and Web server are at least setup correctly and the new connection string works, I narrowed the issue down to the "Global.asax" file; next, I created a simple test .aspx page to "check" the database connection using the following code from the "BVSoftware.Bvc5.Core" and "Global.asax" file:

cn = New SqlConnection(WebAppSettings.ConnectionString)
cn.Open()
Datalayer.SqlDataHelper.TestConnectionString(WebAppSettings.ConnectionString)

When I remove the file "Global.asax", my simple test page works fine; however, when I place the "Global.asax" back in the root (as it is required), then my simple test page returns:

"provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified"

Error reproduced! Thinking there is something "else" in the "Global.asax" file referring to the old connection string? All this seems odd.

Please advise, thanks, Joe (long-time customer)
Aaron
#2 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 11:45:05 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
This sounds like a server configuration issue of some kind. Here's a Stack Overflow post that has several things you can try:

https://stackoverflow.co...rver-instance-specified

One of the suggested answers also links to this Microsoft MSDN article on the subject:

https://blogs.msdn.micro...erverinstance-specified/
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
fantazma
#3 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2020 5:10:07 AM(UTC)
fantazma

Albania

Originally Posted by: Zorkmaster Go to Quoted Post
Need to move my installation of BV from 2008R2 - 64 bit to a new server "right away". The old server is not working well. Using version 2018.0.1.2031

I have successfully performed the following:

1. Copied web files.
2. Configured and provisioned IIS 10.0 to serve the BV web site (Server 2016 - 64 bit).
3. Backed up and Restored the BV database to its new location (MSSQL 2014 - 64 bit).
4. Edited the web.config BV connection to refer to the new MSSQL 2014 installation.
5. Confirmed the new "BV connection" string in the web.config is working via the 2014 SQL manager.
6. Set up the server's local DNS pointing the domain to the new server IIS web site; so I can use the "server's" local browser to test (via remote desktop).
7. MSSQL and IIS are installed on the same (virtual) machine.

Upon navigating to the store home or "BVAdmin" page on the new server (local browser, via remote desktop), I receive:

Since I have confirmed the SQL and Web server are at least setup correctly and the new connection string works, I narrowed the issue down to the "Global.asax" file; next, I created a simple test .aspx page to "check" the database connection using the following code from the "BVSoftware.Bvc5.Core" and "Global.asax" file:

cn = New SqlConnection(WebAppSettings.ConnectionString)
cn.Open()
Datalayer.SqlDataHelper.TestConnectionString(WebAppSettings.ConnectionString)

When I remove the file "Global.asax", my simple test page works fine; however, when I place the "Global.asax" back in the root (as it is required), then my simple test page returns:

Error reproduced! Thinking there is something "else" in the "Global.asax" file referring to the old connection string? All this seems odd.

Please advise, thanks, Joe (long-time customer)

Hello there,

SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error - appear while trying to connect to a SQL Server named instance and not when you use default instance. The client stack could not receive SSRP response UDP packet from SQL Browser.

to fix that you can try:

Recheck the server name for any error and fix it
Check the instance name for any error
Check if SQL Server browser is running
Control if this instance exist on server
Ping the server and check if DNS can be resolved correctly

Also more step by step solution you can find on the following source: https://www.get-itsolutions.com/sql-server-error-26-sql-error-40-fix/

Thnx