• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

TKatch
#1 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 3:08:18 PM(UTC)
TKatch

I would like to see an option to Display Up Sells on the Cart page. The Cross Sells are being displayed on the product page, but we have no option to show something different (Cross Sells) on the Cart page. Please, please add with future update.
Aaron
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 9:52:39 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Up-Sells are intended to replace the item that you just added to your cart, hence the reason that they can be displayed on the interstitial page (the page shown after an item is added to the cart but before the cart page is shown)...if you are using that feature.

This is somewhat limiting so in newer themes we've added Up-Sells to the product page template. However, this is something that we had been doing for years with sites we created for merchants. This really is a simple theming/design change, just like replacing the Cross-Sells on the cart with Up-Sells.

Many merchants will not agree with your suggestion as they would rather display Cross-Sells on the cart. It really comes down to how the merchant uses Up-Sells and Cross-Sells what will make sense.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
TKatch
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 4:46:56 PM(UTC)
TKatch

This is how VWO blog describes cross selling, which is done at the checkout:

“Buy me those chocolates.”

The kid said sternly, pointing his stubby finger at a big jar of sweets on the shop counter as they waited to check out.

The counter guy grinned. I smiled. The mother winced.

She just got cross-selled.

This is how VWO blog describes up-selling:

Upselling is a strategy to sell a superior, more expensive version of a product that the customer already owns (or is buying). A superior version is:

- a higher, better model of the product or
- same product with value-add features that raises the perceived value of the offering

If upselling is choosing a different model or one with added features, then this should not be done in the cart since the customer has gone through all the trouble of selecting size and color, etc. They would then have to cancel the original item and go to a new product page to select a different item. I honestly think that BV has these terms backwards.

Here is an example of how Staples.com does it: At the product page they offer bigger, better more expensive items as an Upsell (see Upsell attachement) "Consider this similar product" - ie. more expensive. After adding this to the cart, the cart page shows other items(see Cross-Sell attachment) "you may like" - ie. this additional cheap item to add to your order.

If I'm right about this, I would prefer to simply have you add the option to BV to include your "Up Sells" on the cart page. That way, it won't affect anyone already using "Up Sells" and Cross Sells" in some other manner. It would simply give me the flexibility to use it how I want to (and how I see it being used by other major retailers).
File Attachment(s):
Cross-Sell.jpg (1,619kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
Upsell.jpg (1,086kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.