• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

CFord
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:47:32 PM(UTC)
CFord

I feel like I have to be missing something somewhere.

I'd like to create a "New User Welcome Email" email template that gets sent to new users when they've signed up for the site.

I can make an email template with that name but I'm not sure where I can set that template to be a welcome email.

User Sign-up Config just lets me add questions, mail server doesn't list new user signup as an option to pick a template for, workflows only deal with Orders, Products, and Shipping...

Any advice is much appreciated.
Steve95
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 8:56:30 AM(UTC)
Steve95

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I am not sure there is a way to do this without some custom programming. If you like me to to post the code please let me know it is only a couple of lines.
CFord
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 10:45:38 AM(UTC)
CFord

That'd be great thanks!

Hard to believe it requires any custom code to have a welcome email go out. Like a Swiss army knife that's missing it's blade or something.
CFord
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:00:40 AM(UTC)
CFord

Just checked the Demo Site to see if the behavior is the same as ours currently is and it looks to be the case.

A welcome message seems crucial to BV Commerce because, by default (I think) Login and Password Resets use only a username. So if you forget your username and you never got a welcome email with your username in it, then you'd have to use the contact page to ask a staff member to look up what your username is so that you can reset your password so that you can login to your account.

Just some food for thought to any other folks out there who'd like their users to be able to login more than once without using password vaults or other similar tools.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:02:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Steve95
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:13:23 AM(UTC)
Steve95

The forgot password page does send the customer there username and password in the same email.

If you are happy editing pages you could try the method below. If not please get your developer to do it for you. As always backup the files before making a change.

Edit the newuserControl.ascx.vb with the code below before the Me.BvinField.Value = u.Bvin (about line 200)

If you are going to be adding your own templates then its probably worth creating a static class with the constants of your templates so that you can easily reference them

Code:

If Me.BvinField.Value = String.Empty Then
Dim eTemplate As Content.EmailTemplate = Content.EmailTemplate.FindByBvin("Bvin/Guid of your template")
Dim m As New System.Net.Mail.MailMessage
Dim sentEmail As Boolean

sentEmail = False

m = eTemplate.ConvertToMailMessage(eTemplate.From, u.Email)

If m IsNot Nothing Then
sentEmail = Utilities.MailServices.SendMail(m)

If sentEmail = False Then
' log send email failure and take what ever action you require
End If

End If
End If

Edited by user Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:54:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: code typo

2 users thanked Steve95 for this useful post.
CFord
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:26:33 AM(UTC)
CFord

Thank's I'll give this a try.

My point about the forgot password process is that you have to know your username first. You put in your username to get the forgot password email sent to you.

People have trouble remembering which email they used to sign up for things sometimes, let alone which arbitrary username they picked. For how heavily BV Commerce leans on usernames, I'd expect there to be some kind of help given to users who might have forgotten what there's is.

From what I've seen though, our site and the Demo site don't actually display the username at all once your logged in, neither one has a welcome email, and both exclusively ask for a username to initiate a password reset. Just seems a bit silly that these are the defaults BV Commerce has chosen.
Steve95
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:59:16 AM(UTC)
Steve95

I understand what you mean now. I changed our implementation of the forgot password screen some time ago. I have also made changes to sign up form so that the customers username is also their email address by editing the login and New user controls.

I hope the above code helps
CFord
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:15:10 PM(UTC)
CFord

Thanks for the all the help. I'm planning to take similar steps on the site I work with.

I'm curious if a staff member has any justification for the default experience other than that's just how it got built 10? 15? years ago. I know changing parts of BV Commerce isn't that bad but I'd expect more thought than this to have gone into the out-of-the-box user experience.
Aaron
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:31:44 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CFord Go to Quoted Post
I'm curious if a staff member has any justification for the default experience other than that's just how it got built 10? 15? years ago...I'd expect more thought than this to have gone into the out-of-the-box user experience.

For an ecommerce website I don't think that this should be the default behavior; at best it could be an option. Typically account creation happens as part of checkout where the customer is going to receive an order confirmation email. That's the more important email and the one that you want to make sure the customer sees.

That said, every business is different so your needs may dictate that a 'welcome' email is essential.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
CFord
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:35:51 PM(UTC)
CFord

Originally Posted by: Aaron Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: CFord Go to Quoted Post
I'm curious if a staff member has any justification for the default experience other than that's just how it got built 10? 15? years ago...I'd expect more thought than this to have gone into the out-of-the-box user experience.

For an ecommerce website I don't think that this should be the default behavior; at best it could be an option. Typically account creation happens as part of checkout where the customer is going to receive an order confirmation email. That's the more important email and the one that you want to make sure the customer sees.

That said, every business is different so your needs may dictate that a 'welcome' email is essential.

I'm more talking about the complete reliance on usernames (for logging in, resetting a password) while having a complete lack of ability to recover your username (by default). I can't see any good justification for it but maybe I'm just missing something.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:39:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Aaron
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:03:36 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Sorry, I missed a whole bunch of messages while I was replying! Yes, I understand where you're coming from now. We do plan to phase out usernames. The only reason that they're still there is for legacy reasons. From a technical perspective changing usernames to email addresses is very simple. Our challenge is making this change a seamless experience for existing store merchants and their users.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
CFord
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:08:40 PM(UTC)
CFord

Originally Posted by: Aaron Go to Quoted Post
Sorry, I missed a whole bunch of messages while I was replying! Yes, I understand where you're coming from now. We do plan to phase out usernames. The only reason that they're still there is for legacy reasons. From a technical perspective changing usernames to email addresses is very simple. Our challenge is making this change a seamless experience for existing store merchants and their users.

That's pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the info. And you can put me down for "would like welcome email to be an available option that can get setup without custom code".