• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

TKatch
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:19:51 PM(UTC)
TKatch

I have the Billing Address set to "Same as Shipping Address" as default. In admin, when I select an existing user, they may have a different billing address set in their account. So when I uncheck the "Same as Shipping Address" button, I would hope that BV would retrieve the user's correct billing address. However, it simply blanks out the Billing Address, and I have to locate it and type it in by hand.

What is the best way to solve this? I'm okay with setting the "Same as Shipping Address" to default as unchecked, if need be. If so is there a setting to change or would I need to change code? If code, would I change the Checkout.aspx from:

<asp:CheckBox ID="chkBillToSame" Text="Same as Shipping Address" Checked="true" AutoPostBack="true" CausesValidation="false" TabIndex="2001" runat="server" />

to

<asp:CheckBox ID="chkBillToSame" Text="Same as Shipping Address" Checked="false" AutoPostBack="false" CausesValidation="false" TabIndex="2001" runat="server" />
Aaron
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:39:28 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TKatch Go to Quoted Post
So when I uncheck the "Same as Shipping Address" button, I would hope that BV would retrieve the user's correct billing address. However, it simply blanks out the Billing Address, and I have to locate it and type it in by hand.

It doesn't work this way by design. The behavior you describe may or may not be what a user would want. When the "Same as Shipping Address" button is checked the billing address holds a copy of the shipping address. Un-checking the box, at least in 2015 SP2, does not clear the billing address fields but rather displays their current values (i.e. the shipping address); this gives the user the ability to easily make small changes to the billing address from the shipping address (e.g. to change the first & last name or phone number).

What is the best way to solve this?...If so is there a setting to change or would I need to change code?

Changing the behavior to work as you describe will require some custom code. Keep in mind, too, that if a customer has any addresses in their address book, not just a default billing and/or shipping address, you will be able to select that address from the address book on the order entry page (like a customer can from checkout).

If code, would I change the Checkout.aspx from:

<asp:CheckBox ID="chkBillToSame" Text="Same as Shipping Address" Checked="true" AutoPostBack="true" CausesValidation="false" TabIndex="2001" runat="server" />

to

<asp:CheckBox ID="chkBillToSame" Text="Same as Shipping Address" Checked="false" AutoPostBack="false" CausesValidation="false" TabIndex="2001" runat="server" />

No, this will require code-behind changes (i.e. editing the .vb file).
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
TKatch
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 10:49:56 AM(UTC)
TKatch

Okay, yes, it does not clear the Billing Address fields but fills in the Shipping Address values. So we have never added addresses to the address book field ourselves. I would think any addresses, Shipping or Billing, would appear in the address book automatically. No? Otherwise I would have to hand-enter anything into the address book separately, which is unnecessarily redundant and impractical, I would think. And if there is no addresses in the Address Book, then that drop-down does not appear as an option for new orders.

Am I understanding this correctly?
Aaron
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 1:24:54 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
I would think any addresses, Shipping or Billing, would appear in the address book automatically. No?

You'd think so, and that would make sense, but they don't. You can see this played out on the /MyAccount_AddressBook.aspx page. Unfortunately that's always the way that it has been and is a little tricky to retroactively address. We'll have to take another look at it to see what can be done. Worst case I guess it could just be improved going forward.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Yep!
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012