• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Yem
#1 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2015 2:07:51 PM(UTC)
Yem

Hi,

We currently have Avalara setup for our website to collect tax in the correct states.

We are currently trying to set up BV to collect tax for certain products outside these states. I have setup a new tax class for these products and then create a new tax rule to only apply to the new state and this tax class. The problem is that the rule seems to ignore the tax class and applies tax to all products going to that new state.

Again, BV is currently setup to go to Avalara to get the correct tax percentage for each tax rule.

I know Avalara currently overrides any tax percentage setup but does BV ignore the tax classes for products when avalara is being used? Or there is something I am missing?
Aaron
#2 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2015 3:47:45 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
When using AvaTax, the tax rules in BV Commerce are only used to determine whether an API call should be made to Avalara to get the sales tax based on the location. So, there must be a tax rule that corresponds to the area(s) where you will collect tax. If we're talking about the US you could create a single rule for the country, but that would mean that you'd be making needless API calls for states where you don't collect tax. So, in this example, it's best to create a rule for each state.

Tax classes that you assign to products are passed to AvaTax as the tax code. You can then create rules on the AvaTax side that work with those tax codes.

Edited by user Friday, August 28, 2015 3:48:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012