• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Ryan Heldt
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:12:51 PM(UTC)
Ryan Heldt

United States

Greetings!

We have a customer that sells a particular item which weighs 56 lbs and is 56" x 14" x 14". In other words, it's big and heavy. He also happens to have two websites, each selling to different audiences. One of the sites is on BV2013 and the other was recently updated to 2015. Anyway, the rates coming back from UPS on each of these sites is wildly different for this item. For example:

Qty | Site 2015 | Site 2013
  1 | 45.74     | 49.08
  2 | 180.62    | 98.16
  3 | 420.08    | 147.24

The product details (weight, dimensions, etc.) are exactly the same between both sites. The only difference between the sites is on the BV2015 site, I have the "Don't use package dimensions, only weight" option checked. Otherwise, the rates are even higher -- substantially higher (3x or more).

Customer is asserting that the rates in 2015 are too high and something is wrong with the software. I know some changes were made with respect to dimensional shipping in BV2015, but with that part of it shut off, I'm unsure why there's still a discrepancy?

I do know after the second package gets added I start seeing messages in the BV2015 site's diagnostics that read "Large Package Surcharge has been added to Package X", which probably explain the massive jump from 1 to 2 items. I'm not seeing that at all in the BV2013 site's diagnostics.

Has anyone run into something similar or have any suggestions to bring shipping prices back under control?

Thanks!
Ryan

Edited by user Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:17:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Aaron
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 3:53:16 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ryan Heldt Go to Quoted Post
We have a customer that sells a particular item which weighs 56 lbs and is 56" x 14" x 14". In other words, it's big and heavy...One of the sites is on BV2013 and the other was recently updated to 2015. Anyway, the rates coming back from UPS on each of these sites is wildly different for this item. For example:

Qty | Site 2015 | Site 2013
  1 | 45.74     | 49.08
  2 | 180.62    | 98.16
  3 | 420.08    | 147.24

The product details (weight, dimensions, etc.) are exactly the same between both sites. The only difference between the sites is on the BV2015 site, I have the "Don't use package dimensions, only weight" option checked. Otherwise, the rates are even higher -- substantially higher (3x or more).

...I know some changes were made with respect to dimensional shipping in BV2015, but with that part of it shut off, I'm unsure why there's still a discrepancy?

If the cart/order only contains one item, with a quantity of 1, the rate difference is probably just the difference between sending UPS the dimensions or not.

Once you move to multiple items (that don't ship separately), the packaging algorithm is used to calculate the shipped package size to use for the shipping estimate. The algorithm that BVC 2013 (and 5.X) uses can be very inaccurate. So, you're probably dealing with the difference between an inaccurately calculated box dimension vs. no box dimension.

In BVC 2015 you can select your packaging dimension calculator (Options >> Site Settings >> Shipping). If you set the dimension calculator dropdown to the "Extended Dimension Calculator", it should calculate package dimensions just like BVC 2013. Doing that, and un-checking the "Don't use package dimensions, only weight" checkbox on the UPS shipping settings, should result in the same rate.

That said, the "Extended Boxing Dimension Calculator" in BVC 2015 is typically much more accurate.

Originally Posted by: Ryan Heldt Go to Quoted Post
I do know after the second package gets added I start seeing messages in the BV2015 site's diagnostics that read "Large Package Surcharge has been added to Package X", which probably explain the massive jump from 1 to 2 items. I'm not seeing that at all in the BV2013 site's diagnostics.

Are you getting real-time rates from any carriers other than UPS? If not, I'm not sure why you would be getting that message only in BVC 2015 if you're not sending dimensions to UPS.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
Ryan Heldt
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 5:02:35 PM(UTC)
Ryan Heldt

United States

Originally Posted by: Aaron Go to Quoted Post
In BVC 2015 you can select your packaging dimension calculator (Options >> Site Settings >> Shipping). If you set the dimension calculator dropdown to the "Extended Dimension Calculator", it should calculate package dimensions just like BVC 2013. Doing that, and un-checking the "Don't use package dimensions, only weight" checkbox on the UPS shipping settings, should result in the same rate.

Thanks for the tip. I tried that earlier and again just now and got higher prices. $48.16 for 1 of the previously mentioned item (which is okay), $304.00 for 2, and no rates at all for 3.

Originally Posted by: Aaron Go to Quoted Post
Are you getting real-time rates from any carriers other than UPS? If not, I'm not sure why you would be getting that message only in BVC 2015 if you're not sending dimensions to UPS.

No, customer is only using UPS. The large package surcharge message I was in the XML returned from the UPS web service. It never showed up anywhere in the UI.
Aaron
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:52:33 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Can you provide the origin and destination addresses? Also, it would be helpful to post the request and response XML.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
Ryan Heldt
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 11:00:46 AM(UTC)
Ryan Heldt

United States

Hi Aaron-

Thanks for you help! I've attached the request and response from UPS for a shopping cart containing 3 of the aforementioned items. There's also a JPG containing the product info. On that JPEG, you may notice an LTL shipping checkbox -- it doesn't affect the shipping calculations any. It simply presents a message to the user to call a 800 number to order.

Thanks!
Ryan
File Attachment(s):
request_xml.txt (5kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
response_xml.txt (8kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
product_details.jpg (319kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.