• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Yoyo
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:19:48 PM(UTC)
Yoyo

We are setting up a new site, and I am wondering the pros and cons of different folders for the images.
Putting everything in one folder or separate folders for each group of images.

Headers, Icons and product images.
Should product images be broken into smaller categories, such as based on product type or supplier.

We will have about 3000 images to load up.

My plan was to load only one size of image, about 1000x1000 pixels, and let BV13 re-size them.
Aaron
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:58:46 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Yoyo Go to Quoted Post
We are setting up a new site, and I am wondering the pros and cons of different folders for the images.
Putting everything in one folder or separate folders for each group of images.

Headers, Icons and product images.
Should product images be broken into smaller categories, such as based on product type or supplier.

You're bound to get a variety of opinions on this one. In my mind, the most important thing is to organize your images in a way that makes it easy for you to manage. In most cases that means separate sub-folders under the images folder. Creating manufacturer sub-folders (e.g. /images/manufacturer-1/myimage.jpg) makes sense to me. If you have a lot of products that might not be granular enough so you might need to go one step further and organize by product type/category (e.g. /images/manufacturer-1/product-type/myimage.jpg).

One thing that we've found that makes it easier to manage images is to use the SKU as the filename. This is beneficial if you ever need to perform bulk changes to your catalog data because you can generate the filename by using the SKU. If you have multiple images per product you would want to name them in a standard way (e.g. myimage-1.jpg, myimage-2.jpg, etc).

One final consideration is SEO. The filename and path (folder structure) does have some effect on SEO, particularly for Google image search. This is where you will need to make a trade-off between manageability and optimal SEO.

My plan was to load only one size of image, about 1000x1000 pixels, and let BV13 re-size them.

This size is great for the additional images, but you'll definitely want to reduce the size for the small and medium images (it sounds like this is what you're planning to do, but I just wanted to clarify).

Edited by user Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:59:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
Yoyo
#3 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 6:33:35 PM(UTC)
Yoyo

My plan is to upload one size of image, (1000x1000) and have BV resize the image automatically.

When looking at the images I see this
1,000px × 1,000px (scaled to 110px × 110px)

Is this still loading as a big image, and is this a concern if the customer has a slower internet connection?

The last time I did a site, we made a small and big image, so downloads on DSL connections would not take forever.

Aaron
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 10:00:55 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
My plan is to upload one size of image, (1000x1000) and have BV resize the image automatically.

When looking at the images I see this
1,000px × 1,000px (scaled to 110px × 110px)

Is this still loading as a big image, and is this a concern if the customer has a slower internet connection?

If you specify a 1,000 x 1,000 pixel image for the small or medium image, that is the size image that it will load. If it is appearing smaller it is because the CSS is telling the browser to resize the image after it's loaded. Yes, this will cause very slow page load times.

The last time I did a site, we made a small and big image, so downloads on DSL connections would not take forever.

Yes, you still need to do this. If you don't want to resize the image in an image editor, you can use BV Commerce to do this. You will need the upload the same 1,000 x 1,000 image for each image size (i.e. small, medium, and additional). The additional image would be full size (1,000 x 1,000). Then when you upload the small and medium images, check the boxes in the uploader to rename the image (e.g. myimage-sm.jpg or myimage-md.jpg) and to resize it to the dimensions you want. The predefined small and medium image dimensions are taken from the settings in Options >> Site Settings >> Images, in case you want to change them.

Edited by user Saturday, February 15, 2014 10:02:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012