• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Cliff
#1 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 6:24:41 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Some of the merchants I work with have mentioned that certain folks from these forums, among others, have been doing some snooping that goes beyond the line of curiosity and friendly testing. I know we've discussed this here before, but it's been awhile, so just a reminder:

* Don't add and dump things from a store's cart over and over again. Just out of consideration for the merchant, because it gets very annoying for them, especially the ones who are monitoring. If you aren't there to purchase something, go easy on the cart. It's fun to check out a new store and see what type of checkout process they're using, but don't overdo it.
    * On cart subject, NEVER check out with dummy payment information because you think you're doing the merchant a favor by testing the checkout process, especially if the store is live. Unless they have specifically requested it, don't f-ing do it. This is considered fraud and you'll be lucky if legal action isn't brought against you.
    * Don't try to download, say, a theme's Header.ascx control. You can't do it, the server won't let you, and it will trigger an alert to the merchant who can see exactly who you are in many cases. Not only does this waste the time of the merchant, it's stealing.
    * Copying code, markup, css, js, etc., from a site to use in your own is also stealing if you don't have prior permission.

I'll stop there. Before anyone accuses me of being paranoid, these have all happened, most of them quite recently.

A few of us try to help where we can on these forums and even go so far as to share code and details and even package files that otherwise give us the edge in our respective industries. Pulling stunts like the above make some of us question this practice. I, personally, don't mind going away. So please, to the very few of you whom this is directed to, knock it off.
[email protected]
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:12:54 AM(UTC)
info@cpapsupplyusa.com

Alright... I'm guilty. I will admit it to the masses. Yes, on occasion I have downloaded someone else's CSS to see how in the hell they did something that amazed me. I never considered it stealing, only learning. I will stop. <sniffle>

I'm curious though, Cliff. I have some tools for firefox that immediately download the CSS, can view entire JS, and other development tools. Would you consider these tools to also be no-no's? If so, I will have to speak with my team here... I would never want to make another merchant upset when seeing my IP address in their logs.

As for the shopping cart items... well... that's just plain mean.
M. Hall
CPAP Supply USA

http://www.cpapsupplyusa.com
Cliff
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:22:50 AM(UTC)
Cliff

No, I don't consider studying CSS and markup in live sites stealing. That's how most of us learn, including myself. It's only the blatant copying of said property without the green light that is considered theft.

I don't know what I'd do now without Firebug, the Web Developer Toolbar, and the other incredible tools that the extendable nature of Firefox has made possible. Both as a 'classroom' and for everyday work.