• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Surfscience
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2007 6:42:50 AM(UTC)
Surfscience

Hi folks,

We've just completed migrating our old classic asp web store into BVC5 (4 weeks start to end) and would be very pleased to hear your comments, especially as we digressed from a standard store quite a bit to get the look and feel we wanted.

US version of the store is at:

http://us.codejunkies.com/shop/

UK version of the store is at:

http://uk.codejunkies.com/shop/

The rest of the main website will be redesigned to bring it in line with the new store (in the next month or so) but the BV bit is what we're interested in here!

We did a bit of custom code to restyle the pages based on what category of the store you're in, created our own mini-basket which displays images of the basket contents on the screen at all times and also moved the whole login and checkout process to fade in dialogue boxes but unfortunately, that last bit has had to be removed temporarilly because there is no way for the user to see that they were in a secure zone. Once we crack that, we'll put this back in because it looked really nice!

I look forward to your comments

Matt
Chris Dittmeier
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2007 8:20:40 AM(UTC)
Chris Dittmeier

My 2 cents:

The upper right corner: The black to gray buttons look nice, but the hover transition over the darker ones may need some lightening since it isn't that apparent. The colored buttons below that are fine except I don't think the arrows are needed. They make it harder to read.

The game unit images all have the same "Welcome to Codejunkies" alt text and should show the actual unit name since they are links to categories.

The format change per category looks good.

Do you actually sell the gaming units? I didn't see them on the site, just accessories. That isn't clear on the site and it appears that you have more than accessories.
Chris
Sirius Programming

www.siriusprogramming.com
MitchA
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2007 10:14:25 AM(UTC)
MitchA

I'd like to see a confirmation that I've added something to the cart. If it's there, I missed it. I clicked 'add to cart' 5 times thnking nothing happened, then the cart loaded. The lag time was more than a few seconds. If this is an inventory checking induced lag, perhaps a small "Please Wait" could show up to let me know something's going on.

I do like the image of products in the cart in the upper right.

Need more informative alts on the mapped home page graphic. I like the ones on the products - way too 'techie' for my site, but here they work.

Bread crumbs... I know they're old fashioned, but I really got lost and forgot whether I was in PS2-land or in Xbox-world. I clicked "Home" and went to a totally different site, with Codejukies listed as a category. I don't trust sites that are confusing and hard to follow, especially if I'm going to trust you with my credit card #. Also, I want to know I've seen all of the choices available before buying.

I just went back and found the category themes pick up the color of the text per unit type. Easy to miss - I did at first (see above). Are these colors tyed to the product off-site? The text for the specific game system should be more prominent in the graphic... "PSP Accessories" in 36pt type would help, esp. dads and grandmas shopping for junior.

Featured product "Action Reply DS" link is broken in L col.

I know it's a site in progress... if the 'specs', 'press', etc., for a product won't be or can't be filled in, get rid of the buttons for them. I'd like to see how one of the headsets fits on the ear, battery life, where the mic sits... a picture of the product in the box is OK, but I'll need to click "specs" for more info.

I know this is a BV5 shortfall... I searched for 'headset' and got a few hits. I searched for 'headsets' and got nothing!!!! REALLY?? Isn't it time search gets smart enough to add 's' and 'es' to a search term just for kicks? It won't get foot/feet, but it'd be a start.

Just for kicks, I searched headphones and got nothing. This should be in the product's terms.

The site looks high-tech, just right for the audience it's designed for. Very nicely done.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Cliff
#4 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2007 7:32:41 PM(UTC)
Cliff

I really dig the look for the most part, nice work, Matt.

I've also done the login in a modal box thing, but have yet to use it in production in BVC5. Would love to know how it works out for you.
Surfscience
#5 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2007 5:17:36 AM(UTC)
Surfscience

Thanks for the details comments folks. We're implementing some of the suggestions, especially with regard to breadcrumbs and spelling out to people more where they are. Sometimes, it's so easy to be too close to a project. Just because we immediately associate certain colours and styles with a console platform doesn't mean that customers (especially mum and dad!) will and so you're quite right that this needs spelling out to shoppers.

We'll also add some kind of obvsious prompt that items have been successfully added to the basket. This is another good point.

Cliff, I'll let you know how we get on with the pupup. I'm keep to bring the checkout back into a pop-up but obvsiouly not at the expense of usabilty.

Thanks for looking.

Matt
tmissey
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:02:24 PM(UTC)
tmissey

Alt tags are your friend. Make search engines happy to find them.

Good use of Footernav for policies.

I like the use of black. I agree with a previous post about the top left Nav. What would be cool would be to have your 5 colors defined so that as you move from low to high they shade slightly darker then there previous color but less than any before. That would look like it sounds when you slide your finger on piano keys. I would also be sure it flows through all pages. If I remember correctly the main page does not use the blue shades.

Echo::Bread crumbs. There included in BV and people like them.

Nice site and good luck!