• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Andy Miller
#21 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2007 1:03:04 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Re: improving UPS shipping--Sure I've thought about it. But based on my past experience with the Shipping Cost Estimator for BVC2004, enhancing an existing feature is not well received. Potential customers get mad at the vendor (BV) for not including the enhancements in the original product, and are reluctant to pay me for my effort because there is not enough added value. Of course, "enough added value" is and should remain a subjective judgement that every customer must make. But from my perspective, the risk (that I will not be rewarded for my effort) is much higher with that kind of project.

I don't know if I understand your question about the addresses. Are you asking if there can be 3 addresses: 1) the address the package ships from, 2) the address the package should be delivered to, and 3) the address the package should be returned to if undeliverable? And that the actual cost of shipping (or the postage printed on the label) should reflect the cost of shipping from #1 to #2, not the cost of shipping from #3 to #2 (unless #1 and #3 are the same)?

Mitch asked about generating return labels, and that is definitely on my list (it may not be the 1st release). Would that take care of your concern? The original shipping label would have #1 and #2 printed on it, while the return label would have #3 and #2 printed on it.

USPS already has international (you can see the Customs tab in some of the screencasts...although I never demonstrate filling it in). FedEx will get it.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
birdsafe
#22 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2007 8:35:38 AM(UTC)
birdsafe

Andy --- this indeed looks great, to be able to handle everything from within BV -- as one of the problems I have is working with ShipManager/Endicia/ShipManager while processing packages, I then need to go back into the store admin for something and my session has timed out so I need to log back in -- minor issue, but this eliminates that. I guess I would love to test for you, but not sure if it is at a stable enough point to where it might/might not cause problems that I would have to spend time reverting to backup files.

My question that I have now is when you say "Higher volume shipping would still be best handled by Shipper" -- what is "high volume" - if you referring to how you can use Shipper to batch orders -- I don't use that feature -- I'm not sure it is even applicable in my situation. But right now in a given afternoon, I'm moving between BV, ShipManager, Endicia, Shipper, and USPS.COM (as I find Endicia is not real friendly in handling international shipping)
Andy Miller
#23 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2007 12:39:08 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Joe, I think you answered your own question. When I wrote "higher volume", I was deliberately vague because it depends so much on how you use the products and divide the responsibilities. I have some customers that push all of the shipping functions to the warehouse and keep all of the order processing in the office. For them, Shipper is a much better feature because the warehouse is not switching back and forth from a web page to UPS WorldShip...they just want to stay in UPS WorldShip (many also setup Shipper to automatically push the shipments into UPS WorldShip).

The combination of Shipper + carrier software supports all carrier features, batch processing, integrated report writer (pick lists, etc), and facilitates the separation of duties.

The integrated products supports most carrier features, single-piece processing, and relies on the host ecommerce package for other order processing features (such as report writing).

I do not recommend that you install any pre-release software on a production system.

Do you run a test system locally? If not, why not?
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

birdsafe
#24 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:39:35 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

Hi Andy,

I have a local copy of my site, but it connects to my actual remote SQL database, so I wouldn't want to impact that; other than setting up a new store locally with a SQL Express db.
Andy Miller
#25 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 11:10:32 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

I keep my local copy connected to a local copy of the database. It's pretty easy to make a local copy using SQL 2005 Express so I treat the local copy as throw away...each time I try something (this is for my own site at http://structured-solutions.net) I make just take a snapshot of the live database, copy it locally and then dev and test the change.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

websuperman
#26 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2007 11:28:08 AM(UTC)
websuperman

Sorry for taking so long to reply. In reference to the 3 addressess for processing UPS shipments. UPS allows for 3 addresses when creating a label via UPS Online.
#1 Address of the shipper (would almost always be the store address, except for when blind drop shipping for a customer, this is the address that shows on the label)
#2 Address from which the package actually ships (this allows for accurate "setup" in the UPS system for route planning)
#3 Address to which the package will ship

FedEx does not have this ability, wish it did. But I was asking more out of curiosity. I certainly think it would be useful, but likely not enough people care about that to warrant the effort.
MitchA
#27 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:33:58 PM(UTC)
MitchA

Andy, how is this coming? The videos look terrific.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
frodolfo
#28 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:13:39 PM(UTC)
frodolfo

I decided to give this a test drive. I ran the installer and followed the instructions in the readme.txt file. The last step said to browse to the FedEx Shipping plugin. Since this is my first time using a plugin, I was asked to select a default plugin. When I chose FedEx Shipping as the default plugin, I encountered the following error:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Descript<b>ion: </b>[color=#ffffcc>

[tr ][td ]<CODE>
Line 47: if (ve.Success)
Line 48: <FONT color=red>PSL.DataBind();[/color]Line 49: else
Line 50: ShowMessages(ve.Messages);</PRE>[/code][/td][/tr]</TABLE>
Source File: d:\WebApps\trustworksgroup.ejungle.us\BVAdmin\Plugins\FedEx Shipping\PackageHistory.ascx.cs Line: 48

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Any ideas? What could I have possibly done wrong?
Andy Miller
#29 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:06:51 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

The GridView (PSL) is binding to several objects. Some of those objects come directly from BVC5. It looks like at least one of them is a different version than expected. I wrote the code using SP2. If you have SP3 or higher, it probably will not work.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck in limbo land right now with FedEx. It may be several more weeks before I can release a new build.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

frodolfo
#30 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:10:05 PM(UTC)
frodolfo

We are in fact using the SP3 version of BVC5. That's unfortunate that it's not compatible with this version. I would have really liked to have this implemented because it's one of the key features that my client is requesting for.
MitchA
#31 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:19:58 PM(UTC)
MitchA

The hold up is on Fed Ex's side. Compatability with SP2, SP3... won't be an issue.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
frodolfo
#32 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:58:32 PM(UTC)
frodolfo

Hey Andy, any word on the SP3 compatibility?
GregM
#33 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:09:53 AM(UTC)
GregM

Andy, you sound like one that could help with this problem.
Our developer added your ups module to our BVC5 and we've been unable to get correct correct UPS rates back.
A good portion of our shipments are dimensional and in testing after the addition of your module the actual weight quotes are around 10% high while dimensional weights are around 12% low.

Any thoughts you have on this would be appreicated.

Thanks
Andy Miller
#34 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2008 1:02:10 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Hmmm. I don't have a UPS module. The UPS shipping rate and tracking provider is built into BVC5. You can use my Shipping Rate Rule Providers to wrap the UPS module in rules so that packages below a certain size (or any other criteria) are discounted by 10%, while everthing else is increased by 12%.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

GregM
#35 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:31:33 PM(UTC)
GregM

Thanks Andy,
i came in late to the party and don't totally know where the pieces fit yet..
Your product is what allowed our cart to send dimensions to UPS?
Andy Miller
#36 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:54:30 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

The UPS module from BVC5 will estimate the package dimensions. My product can override the estimated dimensions with fixed box dimensions. That is probably what you are doing.

If you are already using my product, then you can adjust the rates by adding an appropriate multiplier to the shipping cost rules. For example,

...use rate from 'UPS Ground' x 1.12.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

jacobkdavis
#37 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:53:13 PM(UTC)
jacobkdavis

Andy, has the FedEx integration plugin been finalized? We have a client that this would be a great fit for (Shipper would probably be overkill) and I'm wondering about the details.
Andy Miller
#38 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 4:14:35 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

I have abandoned the implementation that I demoed last fall. FedEx is still not able to accept 3rd party products for resale into their system (they are accepting inhouse implementation...ie. they will evaluate products that you write yourself for your own use).

This past spring I evaluated several 3rd party libraries and chose ShipRush--the same technology that Intuit uses to provide UPS and FedEx label printing in Quickbooks. Z-Firm has already gained approval for the ShipRush technology from all the major carriers. Shipper 3.0, which is currently available for testing, uses ShipRush technology to print labels.

Once Shipper 3.0 is out the door, I plan on resurrecting the web-based product you saw last fall and switch it to ShipRush also.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

birdsafe
#39 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:54:41 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

Andy -- question -- does this mean that using Shipper with FedEx ShipManager is a thing of the past? I can't tell if Shipper 3 works with ShipManager or you MUST purchast ShipRush to use. That is a big jump for our small business, to go from a small one-time license fee to now $600/year for Shipper and ShipRush -- plus not to mention learning a new system for printing labels. I really don't need the bells and whistles associated with Shipper 3, just the simple integration between BV5 and ShipManager.
Andy Miller
#40 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:02:59 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Hello Joe,

Shipper 3 does not use FedEx Ship Manager or UPS WorldShip to print labels. Instead it uses ShipRush for all carriers.

If you want to use Shipper 3 Gold Edition, you will need 1 Shipper 3 Gold Edition license and 1 ShipRush Standalone license (Basic or Pro) for each workstation. The ShipRush Standalone license has a reduced renewal cost the 2nd year and after.

If you want to use Shipper 3 Platinum Edition, you will need 1 Shipper 3 Platinum Edition license for each group of 5 workstations. The Shipper 3 Platinum Edition license also includes ShipRush Pro Standalone licenses for up to 5 workstations.

If the only feature you need is to read the address from the database and write the tracking number back to the database, then you can use the built-in integration feature of FedEx Ship Manager. Your FedEx Rep can help you set that up. Here's what you'll miss:

*Shipper can make intelligent choices about what service to assign based on any order field. For example, you could decide to automatically upgrade certain customers. Ship Manager will not make intelligent choices about the service to use. You may end up picking the service each time.
    *Shipper "knows" about BVC5 including workflows. So when Shipper records the tracking information back in the store, it also performs other logic such as running the Shipping Changed and Shipping Complete workflows. When Ship Manager inserts the tracking number, it will not run any workflows. You will have to manually perform the steps in the Shipping Changed and Shipping Complete workflows.
    *Shipper can send customized emails. Ship Manager can send a canned email.
    *Shipper can print custom pick lists and packing slips. Ship Manager has no reporting or printing features.
    *Shipper can help you run your business. For exampe, using the data analysis features, you can analyze your actual shipping costs compared to the amount you collected and adjust your shipping methods.

Shipper 3 is a complete shipping solution for companies that want to streamline their operations. For example, I have a customer that used Shipper to process over 3000 packages/day using 2 workstations and 2 people. Even if you aren't processing 3000 packages/day, you can get similar results. What may take you an hour a day without Shipper may only take a couple of minutes with Shipper. The time you save will either be time you don't have to pay for (if you hire someone to process shipments) or time you can spend growing your business.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

3 Pages<123>