• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Andy Miller
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:48:13 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've been working on integrated FedEx and USPS shipping for BVC5. These work just like the "Ship by UPS" feature that comes with BVC5...although they look a little different. Please feel free to post questions or comments here, or send me email.

Also let me know if you are interested in beta testing. The first beta test will probably be available well before I get the signoff from either carrier, so they will create test labels and postage only. But if you think this will be a critical feature for your store, your early input could make the difference between something you can barely use and something that really rocks.
Andy Miller attached the following image(s):
usps.png (62kb) downloaded 307 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
Andy Miller
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:09:10 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

I just thought of a question you might have. As you know I also have the Shipper system that works with BVC5. So you might wonder how these are different.

These "Ship by FedEx" and "Ship by USPS" products are different from the Shipper system in some important ways:

<UL>
* Shipper can batch process UPS, FedEx, and DHL shipments (and USPS soon).

* Shipper works with the carrier's desktop application which means you can take advantage of...

<UL>
* Support for every carrier option

* Integration with an electronic scale

* Integration with any Windows printer (this one is really big...the web based products will basically give you a PDF or image to print...you will need to make sure your printer is configured correctly)
</UL>
* Shipper has an integrated report system so you can print pick-lists, packing slips, and more
</UL>
I'm thinking "Ship by FedEx" and "Ship by USPS" will fit really well with stores that process up to a dozen or so FedEx or USPS shipments each day. Any more than that, and Shipper is probably a better choice.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

MitchA
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:26:08 AM(UTC)
MitchA

Off the top of my head (a dangerous place)... for a low volume shipper (I REALLY HATE my pick-pack-ship days) I say go for it. Some features I've counted on from either Shipper or Fed Ex Ship Mgr.: (Assuming you're doing away with the need for Fed Ex Ship Mgr....)

Storage of addresses for 'off catalog' products. A simple database of customer nicknames and ship to's with emails....

Storage of popular box sizes. I use about 20 different sizes on a regular basis. Be nice (as with Fed Ex Ship Mgr) to be able to scroll down a list or pick a letter to populate the package size field, plus a 'Z' wildcard.

Better yet, if the product page has dims and only one of any product is sold, grab the dims from the store, if BV passes these through at checkout.

Easy - and I mean easy - recall of tracking numbers. (see below, not all orders go through BV checkout) Nothing makes you sound less than competent that when a customer wants a tracking number and you need to go through multiple screens to get to 'history' and it's in a stack of coded shipments.

Not everything I sell/ship comes from the website. A way to enter a product, addy, etc., into BV5 admin just to generate an invoice, sales records, labels, etc., would be wonderful. Until BV5 allows COMPLETE editing or creation of an order from scratch, (basically creating and selling a one-time product which exists solely on the invoice), I need to have two order/fulfillment schemes - one web based, one manual. Seems short sighted I can't make up a product on the fly on the admin page, and then ship it and use BV's admin to keep track... So, I'd still need Fed Ex Ship Mgr. on my desktop.

I'd like BV5 to have a place to enter a 'ship to' email. The 'Sold to' email is good, both would be better. Perhaps you could offer this feild so if it's filled in, a ship notice with a tracking number will go to the recipient.

Carry over of fields from one package to the next. Picking the projected ship date for each next package and the "bill to" when they don't change form package to package is a pain.

I'm not sure about you, but when I ship something with a retail value of $200.00, I'd like the insurance to reflect this. When I drop-ship an order for a reseller and his invoice is created at a discount, Fed Ex sees a value of $140.00. I then have to change this back manually to $200.00 so I have full coverage. I've asked BV to incorporate the full retail value into the database at checkout... maybe someday this will be done.

Tab navigation please. I hate having to reach for my mouse while typing.

Ship notification/delivery notification to: shipper, third party seller, recipient. Mentioned earlier, bear repeating.

Reporting of the actual shipping cost (after the size, weight, etc. are entered) in addition to the 'billed' shipping cost should be on the screen to not only double check for errors but to adjust invoices. Manually entering a size on ship day can bring big surprizes. I've repackaged large items to save $20.00 in shipping costs. Real-time/actual reporting is a must.

Zip code/city lookup? Too much to hope for?

Creation of a return label. I've had to generate 2 in the last 5 years, but it should be there.

I'm not even going near considerations for international import/export, duty, etc.

Hazardous materials declarations / special handling.

Spacing of the fields on your example... you can tighten this up A LOT. I hate not being able to see the entire form on the screen, and scrolling is for the birds.

Related to tracking/history: I'd like to keep a separate database of activity, even if its just a simple speadsheet on my computer, something in a separate file on my site would be better.

Fed Ex prints a paper tally at the end of each ship session. Can you do the same?

Fed Ex Ship Mgr. is way more than I need. As you said, for a small shipper something less cumbersome right in BV5 would do fine.

A big list, sorry.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Andy Miller
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 10:41:25 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Easy - and I mean easy - recall of tracking numbers. (see below, not all orders go through BV checkout) Nothing makes you sound less than competent that when a customer wants a tracking number and you need to go through multiple screens to get to 'history' and it's in a stack of coded shipments.

Do you have a picture of what this looks like?

...one web based, one manual. Seems short sighted I can't make up a product on the fly on the admin page, and then ship it and use BV's admin to keep track... So, I'd still need Fed Ex Ship Mgr. on my desktop.

The "Ship by UPS" feature in BVC5 also allows you to create labels for ad-hoc shipments (BV Admin &gt; Orders &gt; UPS Shipping). I will include a similar feature in both "Ship by FedEx" and "Ship by USPS". This is not the same as creating an ad-hoc order, but I don't think you will need Ship Manager for this.

Reporting of the actual shipping cost (after the size, weight, etc. are entered) in addition to the 'billed' shipping cost should be on the screen to not only double check for errors but to adjust invoices. Manually entering a size on ship day can bring big surprizes. I've repackaged large items to save $20.00 in shipping costs. Real-time/actual reporting is a must.

I've included the calculated shipping costs on the page so you can compare them to the actual rates you quoted. Is this what you mean? Does "adjust invoices" mean that you would like a quick way to transfer the actual cost to the order?

Spacing of the fields on your example... you can tighten this up A LOT. I hate not being able to see the entire form on the screen, and scrolling is for the birds.

I can tighten them up, but you will still not be able to see everything. For most packages, the addresses will be correct, that is why they fall off the bottom of the screen. The stuff that may change with each package is shown at the top. Unfortunately, the pages you see in the screen shots are not done. They still need customs, special handling, etc.

There are lots of ways to design an interface to collect a lot of information. Checkout pages are good example: multiple pages (i.e. multi-page checkouts), sections that expand and collapse, tabbed interface, pop-ups, etc. Because of the popularity of single-page checkout, I'm currently going for a simple (very few bells and whistles) one-page shipping solution. Perhaps I could include multiple versions. What would the other version look like? Tabbed interface? Expanding sections?

A big list, sorry.

Thank you for taking the time to write it. (I did not respond to everything in your list...but I definitely read the entire post.)
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

websuperman
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:05:00 PM(UTC)
websuperman

I will help test. I definitely could use this feature for certain packages. This would really make the move to BV5 worth it for us.
MitchA
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:35:17 PM(UTC)
MitchA

Andy, re: easy tracking number retreival...

Assuming you have only a few employees, one of them is going to handle shipping/receiving - perhaps in the back of the shop, store, off-premises location, etc. BV5 Users can be granted access to some areas and locked out of others via permissions. If the request for a tracking number goes to the shipping guy in the back room, it'd be great if he had a simple "Name, order number, date, tracking number" database available that was separate from the balance of the admin. He's got no business getting into the orders manager where tracking is currently available.

I'v found Fed Ex's Ship Mgr to be incredibly unreliable when it comes to finding a tracking number - Until BV5, I had to write each number on the paperwork just to make sure I didn't need to wait for Fed Ex Ship Mgr. to open (up to a minute) and another minute to fiddle with entering a name, order number, etc that came up empty anyway. (I just searched for any of the 14 boxes I shipped on Monday... not one shows up. I don't want to fix this, I just need something to work when I open it. I'm glad I can get tracking numbers in BV5 Order Mgr. when I need to find one.

For a really large firm, maybe Fed Ex Ship Mgr is ok and open all day long. I'd like something far simpler - right at the fingertips - like BV5 Order Mgr, for shipping (only).

K.I.S.S. for the employees that don't have computer science degrees.
birdsafe
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:43:38 AM(UTC)
birdsafe

Andy,

I could test -- it sounds like a good alternative to the Shipper/ShipManager and Shipper/Galaxy combinations -- questions:

I'm assuming your pdf print file could be configured to use a FedEx thermal printer?

What type of account information would you create for USPS -- the same one I use for Galaxy?

Thanks
Andy Miller
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:16:22 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

FedEx generates DPL, EPL2, and ZPL II thermal printer programming languages, or a PDF. I have not dealt with the thermal printer programming languages yet. The PDF will open in whatever PDF reader you have installed (Adobe Acrobat, Foxit Reader, etc.) I will not supply a PDF reader with the product. So the question really becomes, can your PDF reader be configured to print to your thermal printer.

USPS generates EPL2 or ZPL II thermal printer programming language; or GIF, JPEG, or PNG images. The images will open in a web browser. So the question then is can your web browser be configured to print the image to your printer correctly. This is not an obvious yes. Web browsers are notoriously bad at accurate printing. EBay solved this problem by not even asking you what type or size of label to print...you just get the one that they decided works best.

You will not be able to use your existing account.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

bvuser
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:26:20 AM(UTC)
bvuser

Hi Andy,

Not sure currently, but I do know that in the past Fedex also supported EPL2 for thermal printing of labels.
Netriplex Corporation<br />
Andy Miller
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:35:57 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Originally Posted by: "caplink" Go to Quoted Post

Hi Andy,

Not sure currently, but I do know that in the past Fedex also supported EPL2 for thermal printing of labels.

Good point. I've updated the post to reflect all the supported label formats. I still have not dealt with connecting the web browser with the thermal printer so that the raw PL is sent. This (and connecting electronic scales) are the 2 biggest hurdles for a web-based solution.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

bvuser
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:57:34 AM(UTC)
bvuser

Hi Andy,

Just as a little potential tip, we tried just about everything in the past to get something web-based to automatically print to a printer on our local network. After hours upon hours of trying different things and forum postings, and everything else under the sun, we deemed it pretty much impossible. Our workaround to the problem was to create a windows service that locally on a computer on the local network that had access to the printer in question. The service would connect to the "web site" and look in a pre-determined directory for raw label files that would then be downloaded and output to the printer on the local network. This in some ways functions like your Shipper software and has been something we had been considering to do with BVC5 to go along with a more robust inventory system which included serial number tracking.
Netriplex Corporation<br />
Noah
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:07:37 PM(UTC)
Noah

It looks like a slam dunk Andy.

I'm not sure how many of you merchants use Andy's shipping tools but we suggest it to ALL of the merchants we host for. For active stores, it saves literally hundreds of hours of work and eliminates volumes of manual errors.
Noah
Andy Miller
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:45:30 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

[quote="caplink"]
....Our workaround to the problem was to create a windows service that locally on a computer on the local network that had access to the printer in question. The service would connect to the "web site" and look in a pre-determined directory for raw label files that would then be downloaded and output to the printer on the local network....Very cool idea. Thank you.

I imagine a service-based solution is much more stable than a browser-based solution such as a FF extension or IE control. The browsers seem to change every other week. Windows services have pretty much been the same for years.

I have to store the labels anyway so that they can be re-printed (paper jam, etc). I keep this in mind as I flesh these out.

Thank you again.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Andy Miller
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:11:27 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

The USPS Shipping beta is now available for download and testing. It works with both SP2 and SP3. Although it should not break any existing features of your store, I don't think you should install it on a production site unless you can absorb some downtime.

FedEx Shipping will follow shortly (1-2 weeks). It will look and work much the same as USPS Shipping, so please give USPS Shipping a try and let me know what needs to change in FedEx Shipping (besides the obvious like the options available, etc).

Link
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Andy Miller
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:15:34 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Here are some screencasts demonstrating USPS Shipping

Screencasts
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

MitchA
#16 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:21:28 AM(UTC)
MitchA

Andy, are you setting up a plug-in that will do away with Fed Ex Ship Mgr... and run shipping from a panel in BV5 Order Mgr? (That's what it looks like) If so, will there be the ability to create and ship a package that isn't generated by the catalog, or will we still need Fed Ex Ship Mgr on our desktop?

Multiple email notifications - sender, recip and shopper? Label notes?

Built-in tracking?

History?

Built-in storage (drop-down menu) of standard size shipping boxes? See below:

Edit declared value?

Still need Shipper?
MitchA attached the following image(s):
Fed-Ex-box-sizes.jpg (70kb) downloaded 205 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Andy Miller
#17 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:44:12 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

I expect it will replace Ship Manager for most tasks. Shipper will be a better choice for higher volume shipping.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Andy Miller
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2007 3:24:00 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

I have updated USPS Shipping and posted the first beta of FedEx Shipping. Noteworthy features include a history tab with easy search, and a box editor (so you can pick dimensions from a list).

USPS Shipping Beta 2

FedEx Shipping Beta

There are videos on the FedEx Shipping page that show the new features.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

MitchA
#19 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2007 4:16:30 PM(UTC)
MitchA

Andy, I just watched the videos. Slick. I'm up to my pits w/Chrismas stuff... first thing Jan.

Shipping w/Fed Ex Ground from inside BV5. Oh, my.
websuperman
#20 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2007 10:11:02 PM(UTC)
websuperman

Andy, these look promising. One note I'd like to add. Any thoughts of improving upon the existing UPS shipping that is built in? One feature that is sorely lacking is having control of both the Shipper and Ship From addresses. The Shipper address is used for what goes on the label while the ship from address is where the package is actually shipping from. I say the more options with shipping, the merrier. Will international shipments be possible with the fedex shipping you are building?
3 Pages123>