• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
blueacorn
#21 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 1:09:07 PM(UTC)
blueacorn

I realize I'm a bit late jumping into this conversation, but for what it's worth I love the manual URL definition. I don't care if we have 10,000 products, I'd rather put it in Excel and create my own formula for the URL and bulk import that puppy. Automatic URLs is nice but if you're serious about it then manual is definitely the way to go. I've seen other platforms insert the category name into the URL but when you have one product in 10 categories you have potentially 10 URLs and if you're not properly defining the canonical version of that page you have potential concerns with dupe content.

Another consideration Marcus, and one reason I actually prefer the way you have it now is that you don't want product URLs that look to be 5 or 6 "directories" deep - closer to the root is better and popping in ID #s in the URL is not very user friendly IMO

If you want to change the automatic setting (please please please not the manual as it is one competitive advantage I see with BV vs. the others is I have total control over the entire URL - it doesn't have to be automatic and not just the slug) then I'd suggest letting people define their own format where you have it right now with /departments and /products allow them to use variables like {{productid}}, {{category}}, etc.

Otherwise I tend to agree with Aaron. We've gotten extensionless to work via some ASP.NET / IIS configuration already but otherwise the auto 301-creation if you ever change that value could come in handy. Like he said, clients have a tendency to fudge that up sometimes.
CorneliuTusnea
#22 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:34:49 AM(UTC)
CorneliuTusnea

I'd also vote for the domain.com/my-cool-product with no id in there.
There is a lookup involved? It's cheap to pre-build all the product urls when the site loads and keep it cached in a dictionary and just hit that once. It's very cheap.
And because a dictionary has a complexity of O(1) I would not consider that expensive at all. It's actually very very fast. You can include there also details about older urls that have to get 301 and it's still very very cheap to maintain and check such a dictionary.
Corneliu.
http://www.bestgames.com.au
http://www.bestchess.com.au

BV Product Links, Details and Signatures: Improve your customer experience:

http://www.acorns.com.au/projects/bv/quicklink/

Marcus
#23 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:18:21 AM(UTC)
Marcus

Corneliu,

Some stores have 10 products, some have 500,000+. If I assumed a best case scenario of using only ASCII characters (1 byte per character) with 255 characters of space to hold a URL * 500,000 products = About 120MB of data just for the urls. That doesn't include 301 data. If each product had 2 old 301's you're adding another 240MB of memory just for this.

Yes, for a small store that might be efficient but it won't scale.

That is the problem with domain.com/random-text-for-each-product

Everytime you have to do a SQL table scan for a text match on 500,000 records that's a heavy operation plus the overhead of going across the lan to the DB in the first place. I'm not worried about this for a small store but once you start to put a significant number of products in place things could get slow quickly.
BMFResposio
#24 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:49:26 AM(UTC)
BMFResposio

Personally what I would like to see is the ability to choose what I want to add to my URL's. I agree with Matt that we should always keep the rewrite URL field but what I would add is the option for the store owner to add what they want to the URL. Have a series of options to check to add product name, sku, vendor name, etc... anything beneficial from the edit area. Using this feature would override the stock URL rewriting and only the items checked to be included would appear in the browser.

I could check of some boxes to include the above options so i would get a URL like the following: /Sony-Bravia-HD460-Sony.aspx.

Also I think it would be nice to have the option to "Use Category Name in URL" within the category edit area so you could see a URL like www.example.com/HDTV/Flat Screens/Sony-Bravia-HD460-Sony-Inc.aspx The default would be as it is now if the person choose not to use this feature. In my opinion this gives total granular control of how the URL's appear from an automatic or manual perspective.

Just my thoughts.
Aaron
#25 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:28:09 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Originally Posted by: "Brendon-Resposio" Go to Quoted Post
I would add is the option for the store owner to add what they want to the URL. Have a series of options to check to add product name, sku, vendor name, etc... anything beneficial from the edit area. Using this feature would override the stock URL rewriting and only the items checked to be included would appear in the browser.

That's an interesting idea, but think how brittle that will make the URL. If the user changes any one of those fields you'll need to 301 the old URL to the new one. Granted, if BV implements my suggestion of explicitly defining a URL for every product and category, then by default the old URL would be retained.

Originally Posted by: "Brendon-Resposio" Go to Quoted Post
Also I think it would be nice to have the option to "Use Category Name in URL"

Again, this is very brittle unless the URL for a category is explicitly defined. Otherwise if you change a category name you've broken the URL of every child category and product. Also, since a product can belong to multiple categories, you would need to use the new canonical link tag to prevent duplicate content. This also means that there needs to be a way to specify what the canonical link is in the admin (i.e. which category is the master).

Honestly, why is URL rewriting so darn complicated? Sometimes I wonder if we should all go back to query strings. It was so much easier then. :)
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
BMFResposio
#26 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:15:32 PM(UTC)
BMFResposio

I totally understand what your saying.

We usually handle any 301 with an ISAPI to assure and old URL's point to the new one if the customer decides to change things up. In reality you shouldn't be changing your URL's up too much anyways. Well not if you want your pages to be indexed properly.

It's really a catch 22 I guess. I like to be able to manipulate my URL's with as much content as possible but make sure they are cemented in stone until it requires a change.
HPros
#27 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2009 10:20:38 AM(UTC)
HPros

Originally Posted by: "Matt@9BallDesign" Go to Quoted Post

as long as the system can handle this as well:

domainname.com/some-text-slug-for-product.aspx

it's all good :)

1000% agree with this. It's fine to consider implementing the well thought out changes but please leave the rest of us with the old school options. We like the simple domain name plus product name listings. www.bvsoftware.com/myproduct.aspx
2 Pages<12