• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Aaron
#1 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 1:10:11 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
1. Automatic rewriting -- I would like to see this feature removed. It makes it way too easy for a merchant to mess up their search engine rankings by simply renaming a product or category. Rather, I think the Custom URL field for a product or category should be a required field. You could add a button next to the box that says "Generate URL" which would derive the URL from the name of the product or category (alternately you could use JS to generate the URL as the merchant enter the product or category name). However, now there is a fixed URL so a merchant can freely change the name of a product or category without fear of messing of their rankings.

2. Semi-automated 301 redirects -- when a user changes the URL in the Custom URL field, a pre-checked checkbox should appear that says "create 301 redirect". This makes it idiot proof and saves time when a change to a URL must be made.

3. Extension-less URL's would be nice...I realize that this will require IIS 7 and probably ASP.NET 3.5

4. Breadcrumbing URL -- the way this is currently implemented isn't done so in a true hierarchical way, though I think this is due to the inability to do extension-less URL's. See example below:

Currently:
/Departments/Parent-Category.aspx
/Departments/Parent-Category/Child-Category.aspx

Should be:
/Departments/Parent-Category/
/Departments/Parent-Category/Child-Category/

This way the parent/child relationship is communicated via the directory structure.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
Matt@9BallDesign
#2 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 1:13:14 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Originally Posted by: "Aaron" Go to Quoted Post

(Semi-automated 301 redirects -- when a user changes the URL in the Custom URL field, a pre-checked checkbox should appear that says "create 301 redirect". This makes it idiot proof and saves time when a change to a URL must be made.)
Would eliminate a third of the gruntwork. Absolutely, positively love the concept. Don't even bother with the checkbox!
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative & Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
Marcus
#3 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 1:32:50 PM(UTC)
Marcus

One concept I've been working with is a product URL that looks like this:

/products/1234/some-text-slug-for-product/

In this instance the "1234" part is the id of the product and will never change. Any text you put after the id will be accepted and direct to product 1234. This guarantees that all old urls for the product will work after you change the name.

Thoughts?
Matt@9BallDesign
#4 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 1:56:35 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

as long as the system can handle this as well:

domainname.com/some-text-slug-for-product.aspx

it's all good :)
Matt Martell

Marcus
#5 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 2:37:19 PM(UTC)
Marcus

Matt,

In your example you would need to manually add a rewrite rule:

domain.com/some-text-slug-for-product.aspx = domain.com/products/1234/some-slug-text-for-product

Would that meet your needs? Assume that we could auto-import any custom URL rules you have in BV5
Matt@9BallDesign
#6 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 3:17:12 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

I don't mind manually rewriting a URL, it's my job. as long as this:

some-text-slug-for-product.aspx

Displays the product that the URL is for and is indexed as such, it's all good.

Have at it with the auto-rewrite URL feature, I'm only suggesting that you keep the option of Extension/No Extension wide open for developer/merchant choice.

For all I care, you can have 100 /'s with 100 keywords and no extensions in the URL's, as long as my orginal custom rewritten URL from BV2004 & BV5 continues to work exactly the same as it's indexed in BV6, I'm happy.

I manually rewrite everything, please do not remove this feature from future versions and please do not lock us to having to go with no extensions.

I'm certainly being selfish but in a way I'm trying to mold your future version to solve everybody's needs!

Attached is an example...LOL
Matt@9BallDesign attached the following image(s):
sample.png (3kb) downloaded 279 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Matt Martell

Aaron
#7 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 3:21:35 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Marcus,
I'm not really a fan of that for two reasons:

1. The 1234 is not "friendly", at least to users, and is excess noise in the URL.
2. The URL prefix is potentially excess noise in the URL and can be a detriment to SEO. I hate being constrained by it.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Marcus
#8 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 3:43:21 PM(UTC)
Marcus

Aaron,

The reasoning behind this is that the "1234" is the functional part but you are allowed to add more text for indexing:

Code:
/products/1234/text-for-seo

If you just have a url like this:

Code:
/products/text-for-seo

The system must do a text index lookup on the name (slow) and if the name ever changes (which could happen often) the system would need to keep track of every old value to ensure it gets a 301 redirect.

Another option would be something like this:

Code:
/products/details.aspx?id=1234

That's pretty ugly in my opinion

A hybrid would look like this:

Code:
/products/text-for-seo?id=1234

Again, ugly in my opinion.

So, Aaron, Matt, anyone else... What's your ideal URL format for both categories and products?
Matt@9BallDesign
#9 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 5:03:11 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

I've done both types of rewriting/manual URL setup for websites. I haven't seen a difference in peformance between the Extension/No Extension concept coupled with directory structure setup. In my experiences so far, the performance has been about the same with both having their pros and cons. Frankly, I don't care for the argument that could result from me saying this.

We know there's a difference between linking to www.domain.com vs. www.domain.com/ vs www.domain.com/default/ vs. www.domain.com/default.aspx

add .php, .htm, what have you for an extension.

I asked way back in the beginning of a BV5 build if I could get rid of Departments/ & Products/ but still maintain the use of the auto-rewrite. Couldn't happen, so resorted to manual rewrites.

This request was based on the previous store having Aram's rewriter in place for 2 years with an attempt at easing the transition to new version.

Preference: Manual Rewrites - Results: A ridiculous sales & engine performance comparison. So changing to a whole new naming structure simply isn't going to happen for another few years. We've nailed it, until there's a problem, we keep it the same.

Why do I like manual rewrites? Because I get to control all of it. My client's like to fiddle, knock yourself out I say, please don't touch the URL. Let me know when you break something and I'll fix it. :)

So my preference:

1. Do not remove the ability to manually rewrite URL's for products and categories

2. Allow for it to not need Departments/ & Products/ or any derivative of for auto-rewrites. I know this is a tough one, you've explained it to me several times as I can be persistant in my annoyance...LOL..

3. If I went with auto rewrites, I would love to see it as (Noting option between extension/no extension. Even the ability to choose extension.):

Category-Name/Sub-Category-Name/Sub-Sub-Category-Name/auto-rewritten-product-name-url/

or

Category-Name/Sub-Category-Name/Sub-Sub-Category-Name/auto-rewritten-product-name-url.aspx (or .htm/.html)

But that opens up a can, what if the product is assigned to multiple categories? You'd end up having 10 rewrites for one product if it's assigned to 10 categories? What if the product is temporarily assigned to a higher category because it's a featured item at the parent category level, how does the system pick the URL name? if it's then moved out of that category, does the URL get rewritten? (There's that 301 table size issue).

So that's why I am going to continue to pound a dead horse about manually rewritten URLs and keep mentioning it until I get a clear cut answer as to whether or not it's going to be included or deprecated from future versions!!!!!

LMAO.. c'mon Marcus... is it going to be deprecated or what?
Matt Martell

Aaron
#10 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 6:11:42 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Marcus,
I understand the technical and performance implications of doing an integer-based lookup vs. a string comparison, but I feel it is worth the effort. We built a URL rewriter for BVC 2004 that works this way. One other thing to keep in mind about your proposed URL scheme is that while you can put any text after the 1234 and still resolve the product, that still does not obviate the need for a 301 redirect if you make a change to the text. Google will see those URL's as being different.

Matt,
You raise an excellent point about what the product URL should be when it belongs to multiple categories. We're struggling with this now as we're developing a guided search featured for two BV 5 sites. How do you avoid duplicate content but still have a URL that has taxonomical meaning? Honestly I think this is a limitation of the URL scheme.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Matt@9BallDesign
#11 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 9:31:27 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

(Honestly I think this is a limitation of the URL scheme.)
I know I'm being a redudant record... Automation is fantastic, but it has it's limitations like we're pointing out. I try to automate as much as I can in my routine but I'll never sacrifice the importance of being exact just for convenience purposes.

Now if it were 10,000 rewrites...
Matt Martell

Marcus
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:43:55 AM(UTC)
Marcus

Aaron,

You make a good point about still needing a 301 redirect to keep the highest page rank possible. I hadn't considered that fully.

What I'm concerned about is that with a flat URL structure like Matt is proposing with /product-slug at the root of the site the text lookup is not going to scale as you get to any large number of products. You're talking about indexing a very long text column and if you have 300,000 products you have to scan 300,000 records (potentially) to get a URL match.

Now, multiply the number of products X the number of old names you have to keep around for 301 redirects and you start getting some really big numbers which will kill performance. Google considers page response time in page rank too. How much will the slow down hurt ranks versus the text lookup or 301 redirect?

Matt, if you have every category name in the URL it is friendly and "hackable" but I'm worried again about the exponential cost of keeping around all of the old 301 names when a category changes. Plus, you may run into a problem with the length of the URL on some systems. For security reasons, some servers will cap the URL length because it can be an attack vector.
Aaron
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:59:48 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Matt,
When I said:

Honestly I think this is a limitation of the URL scheme.

I mean that it is a limitation of URL's in general. In other words, a URL does not have the ability to relate to multiple directories in the same way that a product can relate to multiple categories. Now, if a URL had meta data, then we might be able to address this problem.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Aaron
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:11:46 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Marcus,
I have a few thoughts about the performance concerns you raise:

1. Store the current page URL's in a separate table from the redirects. That way you will only need to query the redirect table when no match is found in the other table.
2. Create an index for both tables
3. Limit the length of the URL to something reasonable (512 characters?)
4. (crazy idea) Could we come up with an algorithm to "compress" a URL into fewer characters to increase the speed of the DB lookup?
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Marcus
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:39:51 PM(UTC)
Marcus

Aaron: Good points all around. A hash on the URL might speed lookups

Matt: I'm curious about why specifically you don't want "/products" and "/categories" at the beginning of your url?
Matt@9BallDesign
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:51:47 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Marcus,

I asked about the removal of the prefixes because at the time I was upgrading a store where the 3,000+ indexes were all automatically rewritten with no prefixes. Since I couldn't do auto-rewrites without the prefix, I didn't want to deal with the re-indexing issues since it was a monster project already.

I have another site primed for an upgrade, auto rewrites, no pre-fix. So naturally, I'm going to ask for this to fulfill my own needs for future versions.

If "no-prefix" is available, I have to resort to my own tried and true methods which I have absolutely no complaints about doing.

So I'll kindly ask again, is the ability to manually rewrite URLs going to be deprecated in future versions of BV?
Matt Martell

Marcus
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:56:03 PM(UTC)
Marcus

While I am looking at improving the auto-rewrite of URLs for the next version of BV I have no plans to remove the manual rewrite option. There will always be someone who wants to explicitly map one URL to another and I think we should continue to support that.
Matt@9BallDesign
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:10:56 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Possible prefix for products instead of /1234/ ?

A product can only be assigned one Product Type:

/Products/Product-Type/rewritten-url-name.aspx or Products/Product-Type/rewritten-url-name/

If no product type is assigned:

Products/General/rewritten-url-name.aspx or Products/General/rewritten-url-name/

Doesn't necessarily have to be "General", just randomly chose it.

possible to eliminate the first /Products/ ?

What do you think would be the impact on lookup time?

I have lengthy product type lists in stores that absolutely cover the general product category it's associated with.
Matt Martell

eric
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 10:19:59 AM(UTC)
eric

I'm not a URL rewrite expert, so this going to be more of a functional request...

Realizing that different stores are going to have different URL requirements,perhaps a rule based hierarchy would be the most flexible. Set the store default as you have it now, and the override at the category/product level, and create rules between the two.

You could have a rules page that is defined by a matching criteria (similar or the same as selecting products in the category page), so that you could apply different rules to different groups of products/categories. Those that meet the criteria follow the URL rule, if no matching rule use the store default, and obviously if there is an
override for the product, use that.

In each rule, you have the option to choose url scheme, as well as the extension. It would be nice if the url scheme could assign the rules in a label-replacement type format,
like you have in the email/print templates.

That way you can have (or whatever labels you make available):

/Products/Product-Type/rewritten-url-name

/Products/Manufacturer-Name/sku/rewritten-url-name

/Parent-Category-Name/sku/rewritten-url-name

If there are technical/performance hurdles that won't allow the matching criteria, perhaps a simliar rule structure could be defined at the store level, and allow overrides
at the product/category level as they currently are.

If you allow matching criteria, you would likely need an audit/report available to show which rules had possible duplicates, or invalid rules.

Perhaps you could add it to the workflow engine, so custom re-write plugins can bypass it, or allow you to develop feature enhancements without impacting existing stores.

Another thought..create an option to use ISAPI_Rewrite, in addition to a standard set of rewrite rules. If selected, a process is run to create the ISAPI rewrite rules based on custom rules defined within the store. The custom rules page could only be accessed if ISAPI_Rewrite is selected. This would offload the lookup from BV.

Just some thoughts.
Omer
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:47:34 PM(UTC)
Omer

If there is a limit to 301 redirects at a given timeframe, then the performance would not be a problem. Just an idea... The reason is that a large number of 301 redirects at one time is never recommended for SEO purposes. It will kill the website. It needs to be done gradually and it needs a great follow up. Besides, let's not forget the external links feeding the pages which 301 redirect is being applied.
So I believe there has to be a limit to a number of redirects within a time frame and there has to be an option to remove the 301 redirect after assuring no more needed.
2 Pages12>