• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Marcus
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:21:17 PM(UTC)
Marcus

I've been thinking a lot about user accounts and how they are used by merchants and customers. BV Commerce 5 added the option to checkout without requiring a user to create an account first. Studies have shown that every extra bit of information you ask for from the customer reduces conversion rates. So the thinking is that by not requiring an account you've saved a step and will increase conversions.

So why do we need them at all? It appears to me that the main reasons are a) to keep track of all the sales for a specific customer, b) to allow the customer to review their history c) to allow the customer to manage an address book. Did I miss anything major?

a) Keeping tracking of sales for specific customers. In most cases we have a username and email for creating an account. Often username and email are the same things. If we ask the customer for their email address during checkout we can automatically look up all sales for a given email address. Email addresses can change over time but it's easy enough to merge a few records if needed.

b) Allowing customers to review order history. Many sites allow customers to view order information without an account by asking for unique information like order number, billing zip code, grand total, etc. It seems like it would be easy enough to ask customers for two or three pieces of information that could uniquely identify an order and then present the details. Customers forgot their passwords all the time and it may be easier to remember a couple of key bits of information about yourself and your shopping history.

c) Cookies could be optionally used to store address information from previous orders so the customer doesn't have to fill it in again. While not a true address book our studies show that less than 1% of our customers actually used more than one billing and shipping address.

Why else would you need user accounts? What flaws do you see if we get rid of user accounts? Would you like to get rid of them?
Matt@9BallDesign
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:59:37 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

1. If a customer calls about an order, how do we go about finding their order? same as usual?

2. Don't forget about merchants that conduct B2B via your software. Reorder feature is a selling point and useful tool. Would this feature be scratched?

3. How would you handle Wishlists? In the B2B world, we've spun this feature into a commonly used *frequently purchased* tool.

4. Registries? Not that BV offers this OOTB, how would a customized BV handle registries?
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative & Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
Andy Miller
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 3:13:41 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Some electronic goods may need more protection than (b) would provide. Many merchants implement DRM by controlling access to a repository (i.e. your account). And digital lockers (also an account) are popular for digital goods that are unique to a customer (i.e. not a song, but perhaps a custom generated PDF).

But I think that is changing. It seems like DRM has been moving to a two part system with one part in the digital good and the other part in the "player". An obvious example is a rented video that can only be played in iTunes/iPod/iPhone for a certain amount of time. But that is the direction I have been taking my software products (where the "player" is Windows). In either case, there is very little need for an account or repository. Once you have the digital good, you can back it up, move it around, etc. without ever having to visit the account again.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
Matt@9BallDesign
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 3:30:53 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

I have a long list of Adobe/Macromedia products. I had to call them the other day since an upgrade installation was not accepting the older product's serial number. The only way the Rep could verify the serial number was by checking my account history to see if I did in fact own a valid older version of the product.

Probably could have provided them with a copy of the UPC Label, but what a PITA if I had to do it.... uggghhh... where's that 2 year old illustrator box again?!?!?!
Matt Martell

Marcus
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 8:47:30 PM(UTC)
Marcus

Matt,

When you called Adobe, what information did you have to provide for them to look up your account history? Would it have been just as easy to fill out a web form with that same info to see your history?
Matt@9BallDesign
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:09:24 AM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Marcus,

Username and then a couple security questions. Definitely would've been just as easy, however the installation instructed me to call them. I would've looked for a roundabout way to see if it could be done via the web however I needed it quick, so phone call was the fastest solution.

I've stated my opinion several times about the Account Creation aspect of the BV checkout process. If you're saying that the *Account Creation* process is going to be eliminated while perserving the ability for merchants to easily perform customer lookups, order history access, targeted reports, etc.. Go for it!

As it stands in BV5, my client's have called me more than once asking how they can find a order in the dashboard since the orders are not necessarily recorded correctly during the anonymous checkout process. What stopped the phone calls was the Task Flow update to require an account to be created.
Matt Martell

[email protected]
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 1:07:54 PM(UTC)
bobn@laurastamm.net

We have custom designed restricted access sections for our staff on our web site with products assigned to them that require a secure log in.

We do not maintain a record of our customers Credit Card numbers on our site at all but a lot of merchants do for repeat customer convience. How would removing the user log in feature affect Credit Card Industry Compliance issues? I'm all for simplifying the log in process but how will that affect Compliance?

Bob Noble
Marcus
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:52:22 PM(UTC)
Marcus

Bob,

I'm not talking about removing logins from the admin side, just from the store side. My argument is that it is possible to help customers get all the same functionality of a user account without asking them to create one. Matt's concern seems to be related to the admin side and how merchants will be able to view order history for a specific customer with that customer having created an account. A fixable problem in my opinion.
Matt@9BallDesign
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:26:34 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

I do like the ability to check an order that I've placed on a site by copy/paste of an order number and/or email address. Something to toss around is not calling it an *Account*. You've noticed that a bunch of sites provide the option for any user to create a "User ID"?

You're spot on for my primary concern. As long as the admin's and customer's are able to quickly and easily locate order information...I see no issues.

How would you handle a Private Store, Price Groups, etc. without an Account Created?
Matt Martell

bvcoder
#10 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2008 1:04:58 PM(UTC)
bvcoder

Hello Marcus,

I guess you are right. We dont really need a user account to connect a visitor with his past history. We can retrieve a user's history any time given an email address. But think from the following viewpoints:

1. You said we will require at least 2 or 3 key pieces of information to get the order history for the user. Technically it is possible. But how secure is it? Lets say I order a few products from a site and I tell my friends about it. I might even show the order receipt to someone. Now anyone who has the Order Number and may be a Last name or a zip code (which typically people tend to know) will be able to look up the order details, payment details, etc. Even though you only show the last 4 digits of the CC, what about the privacy? Password is a piece of information that people dont share with anyone. But all other pieces of information like Order Number, Billing Date, Billing Address, Zip Code, Last name, etc are all easily achievable. That means we might end up showing order information to anyone who has this basic information.

2. What if I change my email address? How will the site merge old history associated with another email address with the current email address? If you have a plan for merging, read item #3.

3. All order information is now sent through email. And people tend to delete emails. What will happen if a user doesnt have the 2 or 3 key pieces of information? How can he request information from the site? As of today, they can request for the password by providing an email address. What will they request in the future because we dont have a password? Will we send them order information / key pieces of information based on the email address and also may be some other information (which is not really a password)? Then we will end up sending user order history to anyone who knows a person well enough and an email address. This is applicable after a user merges 2 email addresses based on item# 2.

There are a lot of stuff linked with user accounts but I am sure you will find a way to handle them. I am really thinking from a user perspective. How an end user experience would be while ordering and after ordering.

I think you will eventually end up having another key field in addition to the email address. Which is really nothing but similar to a password. Sure technically it makes sense. But from privacy/security side, it might freak out some customers. It would be nice to do an experiment on some set of users. I understand that you are brainstorming here. Its a great idea. Not sure how the market will take it. May be you can try it on a few sites targeting different sets of users and see what the response is.
Thanks,
Satya
support @ bayquel.net
Work: +1 803 883 3226
CorneliuTusnea
#11 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2008 1:37:22 AM(UTC)
CorneliuTusnea

Marcus,

I love the way www.zendesk.com does the "username". Once you create a support ticket (order) you already have an account just that you don't know/care about it.
If you come back later and try to login it asks for email. Punch email, get a password by email and you can login.
You could call it "Transparent account creation". I'd love the same plus a way to have SSO (Single-Sign-On). I think this woudl be critical as I could centralize my users and have one password (or even OpenId) for a user.
a: use email. There is no concept of "account".
b: if you want to see stuff, punch your email, you'll get a new password and you can login. No need to "create" something or click on a link or enter 3 pages of personal data.
c: dangerous but if you link it to the email it should be ok. Same session (via cookies) and same email, ok, load address.
Get rid of the user. Every order creates or matches an existing user.
Corneliu.
http://www.bestgames.com.au
http://www.bestchess.com.au

BV Product Links, Details and Signatures: Improve your customer experience:

http://www.acorns.com.au/projects/bv/quicklink/

john.power
#12 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2008 9:40:50 PM(UTC)
john.power

I think there are significant differences between selling to "consumers" vs "businesses".

I can understand the logic behind "don't ask the consumer for account info" etc, but selling to businesses is a whole other ball game. People come and go, the relationship is often 1 (your business) to many (your customer's users). A non personal account, even if using a particular individual's email and a separate ID or password is usually required. Alternatively, a secure logon via username and password with the ability to communicate via alternative email addresses is required. Here's a scenario...customer (a business) buys 10 seats of your software application and has a support agreement. User X needs to access online support or download a service pack or update that the customer is entiltled to.

In my opinion, in the B2B world, asking the customer to set up an account is not unreasonable and if a prospective customer doesn't want to, you're probably better off without them.

Don't remove the option to force account creation...if anything extend it to more easily provide access to non public "Customer only" or "Partner only" content via groups etc.

Cheers

JP
HPros
#13 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 7:04:23 PM(UTC)
HPros

I'd agree with JP3 but with the caveat that the user shouldn't have to setup anything at initial checkout. The customer is already inputing email address, shipipng information etc, if they do not already have an account under the email it should be auto-created. IE the order is placed and an order email is sent immediately followed by an email with a random password and instructions on how to create a unique password/view order status etc.

Once they have an account they should have the option to simply enter the username/password combo. This is how so many other stores do it on both the consumer and business side.

PromoManagers

Promotional Products
[email protected]
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:29:38 AM(UTC)
edwin.brandse@gmail.com

For a B2B situation an email address combined with gsm sms confirmationcode can make sense. Or confirmation through an email link

Selling to bigger companies with their own erp systems etc brings more complexity.

- make sure the guy is a purchaser and allowed to order

- combined with 30 days nett accounts you want to make sure your bill will be paid

- flexible shipping addresses is also a risk in this area. Ship to his home address and the bill to the company
JavaNut
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:58:32 AM(UTC)
JavaNut

I like the idea of simplifying the process of making a purchase, but elmination of a true address book would hurt our business during 4th quarter when the majority of our B to C gifting activities occur. cookies might work to temporarily store addresses, but they routinely get deleted.

As a matter of fact, our customers are disappointed that we moved to a cart that doesn't have multi-ship to capabilities. They view the idea of creating a single order for every ship-to as a lot of work. And from a user perspective, I'd have to agree. Here's a quote from a customer email I received just this morning: "Just thought you'd like to know that sending nuts to multiple addresses on your website is EXTREMELY time consuming. I need to go through the entire process with each individual which is very cumbersome . . . " I guess we are all used to the convenience offered on sites such as amazon. They make it very easy to add all your selections up front and then pick your shipping address on the back-end. If I could pick only one thing to change about the BV cart, it would be to follow the amazon easy-order model. I guess whether you add a feature like that depends on who BV's ultimate target customer is.

I would also add that we are interested in implementing a cart solution for our B to B customers. Others have already made some great points about that so I don't really have anything to add. Just thought I'd thow my 2 cents in.
MitchA
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:20:18 AM(UTC)
MitchA

Originally Posted by: "JavaNut" Go to Quoted Post

I would also add that we are interested in implementing a cart solution for our B to B customers. Others have already made some great points about that so I don't really have anything to add. Just thought I'd thow my 2 cents in.
I'd like a separate (recipient's "ship to") email so a shopper (B2B or grandma sending a present) can enter his recipient's email so BVC and Fed Ex send tracking info to THEM instead of just to the purchaser.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
JavaNut
#17 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 2:16:36 PM(UTC)
JavaNut

Not sure how I forgot to mention this one . . . we would definitely miss the ability for customer's to track their shipments via their account. You would not believe the number of calls we used to get this time of year asking for status. Our old cart did not provide this data and that was one of my key requirements when I shopped carts this year. Emails with shipping status are great, but a lot of people claim not to get them, or probably just delete them figuring they can call in ask for status. PLEASE do not do away with this feature!
Chris Dittmeier
#18 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 6:24:53 PM(UTC)
Chris Dittmeier

I like the idea of having a choice to make an account or not. But for all of my clients that are using BV for annual membership registration or seminar/convention registration, it sure does help having an account.
Chris
Sirius Programming

www.siriusprogramming.com
birdsafe
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 3:56:37 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

I have to second what JavaNut said -- if there were not carts, we would be flooded asking for order status and tracking information. User accounts are a MUST.
[email protected]
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 25, 2008 8:37:42 AM(UTC)
sales@rudystoys.com

My vote is for accounts.
I use my sites for retail and B2B.
2 Pages12>