• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

agreenberg
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:56:43 AM(UTC)
agreenberg

I recently went to update content at both the category and product level and noticed the free text box editor is now in HTML format, not WYSIWYG. How can I get it to revert back to WYSIWYG??
Marcus
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:25:31 AM(UTC)
Marcus

Options->Display->WYSIWYG editor should be "Free Text Box"
birdsafe
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:16:09 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

Marcus -- it is -- I have the same problem -- HTML editing is no longer available -- I think it has to do with updating to IE8
Marcus
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:26:41 PM(UTC)
Marcus

Put this meta tag immediately after your <head> tag in your master pages for your site:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />

This will force IE8 to render your store in IE7 mode.
birdsafe
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:24:18 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

Well, there are dozens of masters -- I tried adding that code to the BVAdminPRoduct.master -- I assume that would be the master file for products in Admin, but it had no effect.
Marcus
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:49:40 PM(UTC)
Marcus

/BVAdmin/BVAdmin.master
/BVAdmin/BVAdminProduct.master

Are the two that need the update for the WYSIWYG editor. You should also add this to all of your .master pages in /BVModules/Themes/Your Theme Name so that the Anthem Javascript library will work correctly with IE8.
davidamoen
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:43:34 PM(UTC)
davidamoen

I've tried adding this code to the two master pages, plus I've followed this advice:

http://weblogs.asp.net/j...8-with-iis-settings.aspx

which seems equivalent.

Still no Free Text Box Editor in either IE8 or Chrome. Any suggestions?

Dave Moen
MitchA
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:48:32 PM(UTC)
MitchA

Originally Posted by: "Dave Moen" Go to Quoted Post
I've tried adding this code to the two master pages, plus I've followed this advice:

http://weblogs.asp.net/j...8-with-iis-settings.aspx

which seems equivalent.

Still no Free Text Box Editor in either IE8 or Chrome. Any suggestions?

Dave Moen

Use FF3, IE7 to edit your site????
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
birdsafe
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:24:08 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

Mitch -- is that what you tell your customers when they tell you that they can't shop at your store using IE8?

I don't know if this is still an issue with BV5 and IE8 using the fix or not, but it SHOULD work with what is going to be the most-used browser, and not told to use something else :-)
Matt@9BallDesign
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:10:40 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

I punched a hole in the wall about a week ago...well..not really...wanted too though..lol.

Using basic javascript, literally accepted by every browser in the world... google chrome decides to ignore it. GC has to get up to par.

Thankfully, when customers call when they're having a problem the first thing asked is what browser are you using and the subsequent solution is "how about we open up a different browser and give it a try"... :)
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative &amp; Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
Aaron
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:22:12 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Originally Posted by: "birdsafe" Go to Quoted Post
Mitch -- is that what you tell your customers when they tell you that they can't shop at your store using IE8?

I don't know if this is still an issue with BV5 and IE8 using the fix or not, but it SHOULD work with what is going to be the most-used browser, and not told to use something else :-)

Joe,

FreeTextBox isn't a very good RTE. It's also fairly old. Couple that with a new, and arguably lousy browser (IE8), and you have a recipe for disaster. I also suspect that FreeTextBox uses some IE-specific JavaScript based on things that I've seen, which would explain the issues with Chrome.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
MitchA
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 7:34:28 AM(UTC)
MitchA

Joe,

The original question pertains to using a WYSIWYG tool in the back-end with a specific browser. If IE8 doesn't run the tool well enough, use a different browser. Simple adjustment for the admin until the tool is fixed to run in IE8 properly, like using a truck to carry plywood instead of a sports car.

Buy now, anyone running various versions of Windows over many years should be used to making mid-course adjustments when programs don't play well together.

Frankly, I'm amazed any of this stuff works as well as it does.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
birdsafe
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:59:01 AM(UTC)
birdsafe

My point was that if you were still seeing issues with using IE8 on the backend you MUST assume that customers are seeing trouble on the front end with IE8 -- this is more than a matter of addressing the issue of whether I can edit my text or not, or what software or browser I use to do it.
Marcus
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:27:53 AM(UTC)
Marcus

Joe,

The WYSIWYG text editor isn't used anywhere on the front side of the store.

Service pack 5.5 added IE8 Meta tags to the builtin themes and you need to add them to your custom themes to ensure that your site is compatible with IE8.

The compatibility issues stem from the fact that the Anthem.net library (which we use for AJAX) is very old and no longer updated. When BV Commerce 5 was in development it was the best choice available but we had no way of knowing that 3 years in the future IE8 would break unless in compatibility mode.

I am working to eliminate the Anthem.net library and replace it with JQuery or another AJAX library in a future service pack. For now the IE8 Compatibility mode should resolve any client side issues.
birdsafe
#15 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:07:13 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

Well, perhaps my issue is something else then because I have added the tags to those master pages and, like the other user above, it had no effect for some reason. I'll have to visit again. Right now I'm having to deal with other problems that have popped up since going to 5.5
Andy Miller
#16 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:34:23 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: "Marcus" Go to Quoted Post

The compatibility issues stem from the fact that the Anthem.net library (which we use for AJAX) is very old and no longer updated.

The only incompatibility between Anthem.NET and IE8 is in the Anthem.js file. I posted the fix to CVS a few months ago, but have not built a new release. I think you were building your own release at one time. If you still are, then you could download the updated Anthem.js file to your source and build a release that is compatible with IE8. That would at least buy you some time to completely switch to an alternative.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing