• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
sternyy
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 12:12:34 PM(UTC)
sternyy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I can't get BVC5 to display this feed:
http://blog.bryguydesign.com/index.php?/feeds/index.rss2

I am thinking it's because it is from a blog and the link.
Cliff
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 1:34:40 PM(UTC)
Cliff

That feed URL is either incorrect or empty. Looks like the other versions of feeds are working, but not the RSS 2.0 for some reason.

What blogging platform are you using?
sternyy
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 3:23:33 PM(UTC)
sternyy

the link works now... i had a few things that were incorrect. I pulled it up in every other reader but it doesnt work in bv. It's weird because only my Title and Description for the channel shows up in BV, nothing else. I am using Serendipity, which came with my p-o-s hosting plan. This is for my personal website... If i had some extra money to throw out to noah to host it and get a better blogging system i would, but funds are low. :)

I wanted to create a blog to help keep some of the people in the office up to date with things going on... haveing the rss viewer in the admin was a perfect match.

btw: here is the blog http://blog.bryguydesign.com/
Cliff
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 3:36:45 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Cool, glad you've got it working. I couldn't pull it up in the most recent Firefox 2 beta, but it seems to be coming through fine now.

Unfortunately, there isn't a decent ASP.Net-based blogging system available yet (until BV builds one ;-)). I'm in the process of moving my blogs to Mephisto, which is a Ruby on Rails app, great piece of software. Typo, also on RoR, is good, too. As far as the best available for the masses right now, Wordpress is it. It's what I currently use for freshstartcafe.com and others. PHP, though. :(
sternyy
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 3:50:51 PM(UTC)
sternyy

i'll try wordpress and see how that works... thanks
sternyy
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 4:06:53 PM(UTC)
sternyy

If only I would of asked this question this morning it would of saved me a few hours... wordpress works with BVC5. Thanks! Beers all around.
Cliff
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 4:32:59 PM(UTC)
Cliff

You probably can't host Wordpress along side a BVC5 store, since it's PHP, but I've found it a nice little package for it's purpose.
Andy Miller
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 5:10:56 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

There are several .NET blog servers including dasBlog, Subtext, and Community Server. They all have a web interface for creating blog entries (though probably not as fancy as WordPress) and they all support Windows blogging tools like BlogJet or Windows Live Writer.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
Cliff
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 5:18:31 PM(UTC)
Cliff

I believe Noah is currently using dasBlog. None of them are great, that I've seen so far, and Community Server is overkill and expensive for general publishing purposes. I hadn't seen Subtext, yet, thanks! That actually looks promising, I'll check into it.
sternyy
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 5:34:54 PM(UTC)
sternyy

yeah i am keeping my personal site and my two stores seperate. Noah hosts the 2 stores, and i have a cheap-o hosting my personal site (soon noah, soon i will have some more money to have you host my personal site ;) ). It will work great though, have my personal site host the blog and the two stores just receive the feed in the admin. Great for keeping staff informed on new products, promotions, sales etc.
Cliff
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 6:08:13 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Yeah, I keep my non-.net sites hosted elsewhere, just do I don't have to bug Noah for PHP/RoR support. ;)

Honestly, a dedicated store blog is one of the best promotional tools you can have, and I'm currently working on options to make this easier to do with BVC5. If done properly, and updated frequently, a blog's conversational (and SEO) benefits are second to none.

I'm working on a project that I hope to have launched by next year called bloggingforecommerce.com; sort of a resource site for getting started and making the most of it. Fingers crossed that I'll have the time. :)
sternyy
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 7:35:46 PM(UTC)
sternyy

thats why i started it... and keeping it seperate from my stores help that much more... building these type of links... well... is even better ;)
sternyy
#13 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2006 1:11:00 PM(UTC)
sternyy

Any good plugins to use with wordpress? I was looking for the tag or keyword plugin but i dont know which one to look at...
Cliff
#14 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2006 2:46:53 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Christine Davis has built an incredible plugin for tagging in Wordpress, tons of features.

http://www.neato.co.nz/ultimate-tag-warrior
jess
#15 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2006 9:51:12 PM(UTC)
jess

Wordpress runs like a champ on Windows, as pretty much every PHP & MySQL app does. PHP side by side with a .NET app is also not a problem (as I was using community server for over a year and recently dumped it for wordpress myself and ran both along side each other until the conversion was over).

Here's a few plug-ins, etc for you Bryan:

Windows Live Writer - http://windowslivewriter.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!D85741BB5E0BE8AA!174.entry
Windows Live Writer Plugins - http://wlwplugins.com
Check out the WLW article on how to use it with UTW for Wordpress to make tagging your posts easy
K2 - Pretty extended Wordpress Theme that supports UTW and Widgets: http://binarybonsai.com/wordpress/k2/

Without question wordpress is one of the most robust and easy to setup blogs available and there are a couple hundred plug-ins and themes for it already available to do just about everything you can think of for it.

Jess
CodeSine
#16 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2006 10:37:43 PM(UTC)
CodeSine

Just know that when you open up PHP on a Windows box you increase your potential for security risks so make sure you know how to lock it all down.
TIM

BVC Add-Ons and Development
jess
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:27:41 AM(UTC)
jess

As soon as you enable ASP.net, ASP, PHP, PERL any of them you're opening new security risks but that goes for any server not just windows. The most common issue with ASP.net apps is that developers write their code assuming Full Trust, which is insanely insecure.

I agree that the more things you open up on a server the more vulnerabilities you are exposed to (goes back to the KISS philosophy) but I wouldn't just say 'run PHP on your server and you're going to get hacked' that's just not correct. And it's been my experience that the PHP sites that get hacked aren't hacked because they are PHP sites but were hacked because they were insecure web applications, phpbb is one of the biggest security targets in the world and has been banned by many hosts but yet it remains still one of the most popular forum apps and still has new vulnerabilities pop up regularly.

Jess
Noah
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:05:02 AM(UTC)
Noah

Limit the attack surface. That's our general policy. PHP isn't inherently insecure, it's all the freeware and open source apps that open up the holes. It isn't just phpbb, there's at least a dozen apps that right out of the box is an invite to attack.

Jess is very right in that it's not usually the framework, but the applications using it. .NET is no different.

We don't allow ANY PHP on the shared servers. It isn't just security and lack of support, it also has to do with performance and resources. Why run the framework (taking up the resources) and take resources away from .NET? I guess in the hobby crowd there is a lot of reasons to support "all things free". For serious merchants there is no room for that, they demand performance, security, and support. When they stick with MS all things are not always rosey, or the least expensive, but there is always a support channel behind it because it's a business model based on money.

Pick any normal app there is out there and you'll find it offered in a .net flavor. I say stick with one technology for your site, it will save a lot of chasing around and allow maximum performance.
Noah
Cliff
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:23:48 AM(UTC)
Cliff

You could also translate K.I.S.S. to mean Keep It Separated, Stupid. ;-)
jess
#20 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:30:43 AM(UTC)
jess

The only problem with sticking to the one platform is that you're limited in using applications only built in that platform and thus may not have the best tool for the job. Sure you can drive a nail into a board with the backend of a wrench but if you had a hammer ... Security, stability, performance all comes back to system administration.

WOW, we're off-topic aren't we. Let me just add this http://www.secunia.com this is a great site. They provide updates for the newest web application vulnerabilities as they are released/announced.

Jess

PS, my personal blog is here: http://jesscoburn.com/ it's not the prettiest in the world but it's coming along and it's far from corporate.
2 Pages12>