• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Noah
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2006 11:15:41 AM(UTC)
Noah

Here are the general steps involved in migrating your DATA from BV Commerce 2004 to the new BV Commerce 5

1. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING IN YOUR CURRENT STORE.

2. Make complete backups before starting. (this is precautionary - nothing in your BVC2004 installation will be changed during migration, we just don't like flying without a net.)

3. Be sure the user account you use to log into your BVC2004 store is assigned to the "WebServices" group in the people admin area.

4. Create a NEW (STAND ALONE) installation of BV Commerce 5 (it doesn't matter if it's local or on a remote server). Confirm that the new store operates as it should (no permission errors etc.) Having a backup of the new DB after it's created and confirmed to work is a good idea at this point.
NOTE: The new store requires .NET2 running and configured on the webserver. The new store requires MS SQL2005 for the DB server.

5. When creating your new admin user account in BV Commerce 5, make sure you add the user to the "WebServices" group.

6 Go here to install the latest copy of the migration tool,
www.bvsoftware.com/Downl...igrationTool/publish.htm
NOTE: You will need .NET2 running on the machine you plan to run the migration tool on.
NOTE: You can run the migration tool from any machine, it will run faster if it's run from the destination site's machine though.

7. Now you can run the migration tool.

NOTE: We have run into problems if you are migrating to a local copy of BV Commerce 5 using "localhost" in the address. In this case we configure the new store to use a static LAN IP address instead of "localhost" for the staging site and that fixes it.

After you have run the migration, you will need to COPY over all your images and other added content via FTP from your current 2004 store to the new BV Commerce 5 store.

If you see broken links to images after you copy them all over, a quick check in the new DB in the products table will show you where the store is looking for them.

PLEASE add additional issues or work-arounds you run into here for the "not so stock" migrations and it will help us all.
Noah
sternyy
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2006 5:29:50 PM(UTC)
sternyy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The only problem i have had so far is that my product choices did not copy over, but i wasnt around while the migartion tool was importing so i dont know if there were any errors. I am going to try to do another import next week to see if it happens again.

Otherwise i have had trouble free success in changing my bvc2004 store over to bvc5... only a lot of learning ;)
Marcus
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2006 7:32:58 PM(UTC)
Marcus

The migration tool creates a log file that you can check for any errors during the import.
Ebijs
#4 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2006 9:18:08 AM(UTC)
Ebijs

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">Has anyone in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Europe</st1:place> (non-us server settings) successfully migrated to the new BVC5?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
sternyy
#5 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2006 9:42:46 AM(UTC)
sternyy

hmmm... i did not find an error when importing everything in to my store, and my customer choices (product options) still did not get migrated.
Outdoor Ed
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2006 8:55:21 PM(UTC)
Outdoor Ed

Since the documentation for the Migration Tool is non-existent I need to find out a few things. I have BV 2004 already running on a SQL Server 2005 database at www.store1. I want create a new site at www.store2 and upgrade the same database. The way the Noah's description goes it sounds like the assumption is that BV 2004 is on a different database than the BV 2005 one and the dialog boxes in the Migration Tool refer to importing. From this I assume that I can't do an upgrade unless it is importing from OLDSQLDATABASE to NEWSQLDATABASE. Is that correct? If so, since there is no SQL Upgrade script it looks like I have to start from scratch by creating a new SQL Database and recreating everything from my 2004 store.

Rick
CodeSine
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2006 9:41:19 PM(UTC)
CodeSine

Rick, you must "migrate" your data from 2004 to BVC5 using this tool and other means, you can not just an update on your old database (even if it's on SQL 2005) and have BVC5 up and running.

BVC5 is not an upgrade to BVC2004, it is a entirely new package.
TIM

BVC Add-Ons and Development
Outdoor Ed
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2006 10:38:44 PM(UTC)
Outdoor Ed

Tim, I know that BVC5 is an entirely new package. My question was about SQL Server. From what you are saying there must be two different SQL Server Databases (regardless of what version of SQL Server each database is running). One has to hold the BV 2004 data/tables/stored procedures. The other has to hold the BV 2005 data/tables/stored procedures. Then the migration tool copies the data from the BV 2004 tables into the BV 2005 tables.

That was my question. Since there is no documentation on the Migration Tool I needed to get my answers here. In my case the BV data is part of a larger database for my site so I already have BV 2004 data/tables/stored procedures in that database. If two databases are required then I can't use the migration tool. In my case I will have to remove all the BV 2004 data/tables/stored procedures and run a fresh install of BV 2005 and rebuild my site.

Rick
Andy Miller
#9 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2006 12:17:47 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Yes you need a second database for BVC5. The biggest problem is that they share several table names such as bvc_Category (though the fields are different). The other problem is that most sites have installed BVC2004 on SQL2000 while BVC5 requires SQL2005.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing