• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Marcus
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:52:00 AM(UTC)
Marcus

BV Basic Theme - Part 1
==============================

I've evaluated hundreds of online stores including the top 50 retail stores to examine their layout. Almost all of the top 50 had extremely similar layouts and I would like the BV Basic theme to start with those ideas.

I'm attaching a picture of the basic homepage layout that I will be using unless anyone has feedback.

Questions for the Community

1) I propose that this theme does NOT use content columns. Instead the user controls will be fixed on each page. This will make it easier for designers because they will know for certain which controls are on which page. If the store owner wants a different set of controls they would need to have the designer directly edit the HTML of the theme to swap controls. Your thoughts?

2) I propose that the basic style sheet include one tag for every possible BV generated tag. Even if there is no style information this will serve as a guide to designers.

3) I propose that all CSS tags will have the first letter of each word capitalized. For example "adminpanel" would become "AdminPanel"

4) I propose the a new user control directory /controls/controls55/ will be built to contain controls that use the new style tags and rendering.

5) Where possible I will remove <asp:label> tags in favor of <asp:literal> tags so that there is no wrapping <span>,<div>, etc.

6) For content blocks, what style of tag do you prefer?

a) <div class="ContentBlock MailingListSignup"></div>

b) <div class="ContentBlock"><div class="MailingListSignup"></div></div>

7) Any other general suggestions that you have at this time.

Edited by user Thursday, April 23, 2015 12:30:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Marcus attached the following image(s):
Homepage.png (35kb) downloaded 381 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Matt@9BallDesign
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:43:31 AM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

"I propose that this theme does NOT use content columns. Instead the user controls will be fixed on each page. This will make it easier for designers because they will know for certain which controls are on which page. If the store owner wants a different set of controls they would need to have the designer directly edit the HTML of the theme to swap controls. Your thoughts?"

As long as this will be used for this theme only and not the application in it's entirety.

I suggest a &lt;span&gt;&lt;/span&gt; in between every heading tag. &lt;h1&gt;&lt;span&gt;LABEL&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/h1&gt;

More to come!
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative &amp; Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
Matt@9BallDesign
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:53:06 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

you also have discrepencies with formlabel &amp; FormLabel as classes in some ares.
Matt Martell

Matt@9BallDesign
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:12:15 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

I think it's ridiculous that I'm the only one that has responded to this.

Marcus, I vote you focus on the application.
Matt Martell

Dan Alustiza
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2008 4:34:57 PM(UTC)
Dan Alustiza

Matt,

What Marcus is proposing is a welcome, as the problem is that most people, even developers, do not have a clue as to develope a Master Page/Theme. With that in mind, I would place a high probability on the fact that most people don't know about themes, which is the reason why they have nothing to input. Marcus I would think a great deal of people would more than appreciate you doing what you propose.

Thanks
Matt@9BallDesign
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2008 4:41:58 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Dan, I can point out many threads with many merchants pointing out problems with the themes. All justified comments, all coming from merchants digging into the themes. I can point out many threads of developers pointing out problems with the themes.

Now's the chance for them to air it out.

So I hold true to my statement. It's ridiculous that no one is responding to the Questions that Marcus clearly states in his thread, which is clearly stated in his post "Questions for the Community"

I don't disagree with your response to mine, and I should take it into account that not all community members are seasoned. My generalization is off kilter and apologies if it offends anyone. It may at least get readers posting, and maybe within the posts.... some good theme ideas will generate.
Matt Martell

MitchA
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:33:51 PM(UTC)
MitchA

Matt, because you insist:

I like the overall concept...

1. HTML v Columns.... Seems like upscale (expensive) sites are moving towards tiles rather than columns. I like it.
2. 1 for 1 keeps things evened up.
3. MakesSenseToCapLikeThisForEasierReading and to more easily see the difference between Crosssells Crossells and CrossSells (an early BVC5 typo)
4. Dunno
5. Dunno
6. b. Separated, these are easier to see in an editor when highlighted, easier to see individual words

Shake off the dust, there's changes a'comin' and this noob is zazzed.

While you're at it.... if these new content 'panels' are to look upscale, some might be expected to do more than just sit with an image in them.. could we get flash to work ootb? Small slide shows are everywhere but here unless you can afford custom programming/de-bugging.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Matt@9BallDesign
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:37:34 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Marcus, I suggest that you use &lt;div class="ContentBlock MailingListSignup"&gt;&lt;/div&gt;. Slimmer code, easier inheritance, eliminates duplicate stylings to help create a thinner stylesheet to add a X percentage reduction to overall page load times.

Every little bit helps when traffic is through the roof.

Just thought about it though, some areas you're going to need the IE6 box model hack... so you should be picky on when and where you mix/match or seperate into &lt;div&gt; &lt;span&gt;
Matt Martell

HPros
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:21:33 PM(UTC)
HPros

I'd like to suggest leaving a placeholder in the header for ads/announcements etc.

Beyond that shop by brand is a huge feature of many sites, it would be nice to have that option anchored on the left side.

PromoManagers

Promo Items
Chris Dittmeier
#10 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2008 7:46:56 AM(UTC)
Chris Dittmeier

Since some developers have already figured out enough to tweak existing themes, any new direction in the app, other than adding tags where there were none before, would cause the exisiting ones to not work. As Matt said, if this only affects this new theme...

Issues I see are the tags that are not in the exisiting controls that probably should be, but those wouldn't be unique to the new theme.

Are the exisiting stock themes going to be fixed to be consistent with each other, as applicable?

Matt, it was only posted yesterday. Not everybody visits the forum every day. :smile:
Chris
Sirius Programming

www.siriusprogramming.com
Marcus
#11 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2008 8:26:54 AM(UTC)
Marcus

Chris,

That's why I suggest creating a new set of user controls in the /controls55 folder. The old controls will continue to be there and will be used by existing themes. The new controls will only be used by newer themes and are optional.
Matt@9BallDesign
#12 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2008 10:43:51 AM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Chris, yeah I know, I know.....foot in mouth.... :lol:
Matt Martell

Aaron
#13 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2008 4:32:00 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Marcus,

1) This is what we do with the sites we build.

2) Sounds good.

3) The naming convetion that our designers follow is lowercase first letter for CSS class names (e.g. myCssClass) and uppercase first letter for id's (e.g. MyId). This servers as one more visual indicator when you're scanning through a CSS file as to whether something is an id or a class (particularly helpful with more complex selectors like ".myCssClass #MyId span").

4) I guess that's OK, though I would prefer to just overwrite the old controls. I'm all for cleanliness, but I guess in the spirit of backwards compatibility this is neccessary.

5) Assuming it's valid XHTML already, having an extra &lt;span&gt; doesn't usually bother me as it provides one more potential styling hook. Our designers often make request to add additional styling hooks to various controls.

6) I don't feel that strongly about this one, but I think I'm with Matt on the double classing.

7) It's a Friday, and I'm drawing a blank...sorry

Aaron
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
Cliff
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2008 3:29:31 PM(UTC)
Cliff

1) Easier for the designer, though perhaps not for the merchant, in the common scenario that they are not the same person. Otherwise, I'm sure it's fine, but I have mixed feelings about this. Are these controls adminable, how is content changed by the merchant in the case of simple text, etc.? See #7.

(Mitch, not completely sure what you're referring to with #1, but columns are just a (relatively inaccurate) name; they can be stacked as what I think you're calling 'tiles'. It's all HTML in the end. Unless you're referring to the 'grid method' of interface design, which is also different.)

2) I propose that you can't really do that, but attempting it won't hurt. As long as they're easy for the designer to use.

3) If it makes it easier for your to keep things consistent, go for it. It should go beyond this, though, and also follow a better pattern of classes/IDs/tags, as currently there are so many inconsistencies beyond just casing.

4) Could do that. I prefer to keep them in the theme itself to make them more portable, but either way works. You method would make the same controls more easily accessible via multiple themes, so it might be a better solution in this case.

5) You would officially be the man, yeah.

6) A: Single tag, double-classing. If the designer needs more tags to get crazy complicated with the design, they can do that, but I doubt most of those using the proposed theme would care. Most themes probably won't need the nested tags and it's just going to add extra markup weight, so I'd say option A.

7) I'm glad you're going to improve the markup substantially, but I'm concerned that it could turn into a pretty big mess if you aren't careful. If the goal is to eventually roll markup fixes and improvements into the core product, replacing the modules, I do think they should be kept completely separate until that time. This is what I planned to do with Fresh Start BVC5, but it turned into a much larger project than I had time for.

This should be about improvement, though, and not just making a separate theme with a completely different method that's easier for new designers and penny-pinching merchants to look like identical siblings of every other BVC5 store.

Oh, and maybe get rid of the 3-column layout, especially if it's just on the front page. The overly-popular standard 3-column layout is really one of the worst interface decisions in the history of the internet so far.
Matt@9BallDesign
#15 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:37:02 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Originally Posted by: "Cliff" Go to Quoted Post

(The overly-popular standard 3-column layout is really one of the worst interface decisions in the history of the internet so far.)
Agree &amp; Disagree ;)
Matt Martell

Marcus
#16 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:53:37 PM(UTC)
Marcus

3 columns on the hompage, 2 columns on other pages. I'm open to more creative solutions but I also recognize that 99% of stores are using this layout and familiarity can create sales.
[email protected]
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2008 8:15:21 PM(UTC)
bobn@laurastamm.net

Ok you guys got me confused now. (Thats not as hard as you might think.)

When I look at Marcus's diagram, I see a bunch of pretty pink blocks with different shading in the background. To me it looks almost exactly like our site which we stole from Cliff's TekGear Redux Theme.

The only difference I see is we have our mailing list sign up on the top right instead of the bottom right (we can move it!) and we have more pink boxes in the middle. However our middle pink boxes have one rotating picture and the rest have rotating info content in them, not product or category rotators.

Our major product is an intangible (hockey skating lessons). With few exceptions all our main products are similar. They differ by the geographic region they are offered in. So putting some of them on the home page would be pretty useless. Now they say a picture is worth a thousand words so I imagine a movie would be worth a thousand pictures. We actually have a 2 min movie that would very accurately show the visitor what we really do. All we would have to do is put a start button on the thing because I hate those auto run things with a passion.

New Theme questions:
1. Do our pictures and soon to be released movie need Content or Not Content columns? Is the welcome msg Content that can be rotated or Not Content? After all it says customizable html.
2. We have testimonials (Picture with Caption) in our right column (html). Is that Content or Not Content?
3. If you set the theme up so no content can be placed on the home page, will we be able to cheat the system by putting our content in a Category Description (with html) and Rotate the Categories on the home page? And still fit inside the dimensions of the pink box?
4. If 3 above fails how about putting our content in a Product (with html)?

For your 6 a. and b., Did I read somewhere that <div was being deprecated? Or am I confusing that with something else?

Bob Noble
www.laurastamm.net
HPros
#18 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2008 8:20:20 PM(UTC)
HPros

The basic 3 column format most of us use is inefficent and dated but until one of the big guys adapts something different most will stick with it. It's a space hog, inefficient in operation and in use. I'd love to see a new design but don't really know where to even begin.

PromoManagers
Marcus
#19 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:16:44 PM(UTC)
Marcus

If you've got suggestions for something more innovative than a 3 column layout I'd be happy to look them over. I see nothing wrong with evaluating other options although the 2/3 column is likely to stay for a while.
Chris Dittmeier
#20 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2008 7:37:43 AM(UTC)
Chris Dittmeier

Doesn't maintaining 2 sets of controls make it more difficult to implement code changes for both BV and developers?
Chris
Sirius Programming

www.siriusprogramming.com
2 Pages12>