• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Jazzsingh
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2007 10:04:39 AM(UTC)
Jazzsingh

What do you guys think about ?

talking animated header: http://www.danceineducation.com/

and their talking part (site not done well design wise)

on ecommerce site: <SPAN class=spnMessageText id=msg>http://www.danceineducation.co.uk
Jazz Singh
SEO, Ecommerce, BVSoftware Development, Database Development, SQL Scripts,

www.DesignMarketSEO.com

www.sequent-tech.com
MitchA
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2007 10:31:38 AM(UTC)
MitchA

I NEVER stick around on a site that throws this at me. I'm 50 and my target audience isn't impressed with this kind of display either.

Any noise coming from a shopping site is annoying or worse - most of my orders come in the middle of the day when people shop at their desks at work. Music and noise = no sale.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Dan Alustiza
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2007 12:02:26 PM(UTC)
Dan Alustiza

Mitch is correct, People always told me that they liked my sites, as they were simple with no BS floating around. The flash thing was distracting to them, and the annoying sounds, which they encountered on many other sites. They also indicated too much stuff on a page was a turn off, as I will agree if I see too much stuff, I will leave the site, as is a good indication that the site is trying to sell something that I don't need. The entire object of ecommerce sites is to give people a place to buy what they are looking for, and no more. Contrary to what other people say, ecommerce web sites, are not like mall stores, as there are no other people to hang out with, and there are no movies to go to, or restaurants to go eat at. They are meant for one thing, and that is to get in, buy, and get out.
MitchA
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2007 1:04:30 PM(UTC)
MitchA

Dan, you hit the nail on the head. In, Buy, Out. No flashy eyeball grabbers, spinning logos, soothing music. I also HATE an endless stream of 'as long as you're here' junk presented to me to trip over on the way to the checkout page.

I've got a shopper's attention for maybe 90 seconds. If they aren't on the way to the checkout page by then, then they came to window shop. They will only come back and complete a purchase if the window shopping went well.
[email protected]
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2007 8:17:53 PM(UTC)
sales@rudystoys.com

Impressive talent behind the header...
Very Distracting to me as a buyer.
Does not impress me as a classy want to service
you as a customer site.
The site is geared to those that enjoy that kind
of animation.
If that is your goal you have done well.
My $.02
Jazzsingh
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2007 11:45:10 PM(UTC)
Jazzsingh

Thanks!

I didnt do these, but came across them while surfing.

I agree with most of what everyone has said! but if everyone thought the same and kept things they way they are, there would be no progress.

There has to be innovation, the future may well have talking helping technologies, we must have open mind to think outside the box. Imagine and create the future!

we all need to have an open mind. Andy, all didnt mean literal ALL - but for the comments from above.
Jazz Singh
SEO, Ecommerce, BVSoftware Development, Database Development, SQL Scripts,

www.DesignMarketSEO.com

www.sequent-tech.com
Andy Miller
#7 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2007 2:59:15 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Jazz,

The 3 people that responded all wrote of personal experiences and preferences. By what logic does that turn into everyone or even anyone having a closed mind?
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
[email protected]
#8 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2007 6:33:20 PM(UTC)
bobn@laurastamm.net

I think the talking header is a great idea, if your market is 3-5 year olds. I'm guessing 6 year olds are probably past that stage in their lives. Some people put music on their sites as well and it might work if your product and target market think it's cool.

In any new technology, you will find people that use it to extremes. Remember the talking cars (Your Door is Ajar, Fasten Your Seat Belt) and other talking appliances? They all have gone the way of the fancy but distracting backgrounds and flashing type fonts on web pages. After you are exposed to it a few times it gets old real quick.

When people visit your site, you don't want them to leave with a headache.

Bob Noble
MitchA
#9 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2007 7:12:29 PM(UTC)
MitchA

Bob!....What!?! No headache????? I've been working on a way for the music and flashy stuff to continue even AFTER they leave my site.

Why should I be the only one with a headache?
Marcus
#10 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 10:10:47 PM(UTC)
Marcus

I think the biggest problem with this type of animated header is that the user never asked to see it. Although many users may like at least some will NOT and you are ensuring that you will make some people leave no matter what. There is always a balance between not offensive and bland that takes some time to get right.

Musak is pretty bland and is designed so that a very, very small percentage of people (hopefully none) will be offended by it and stop shopping at a location using it. If you're going to present a spokesperson pay for a real live human being and put full motion video on the page. Also, you might try letting the customer decide to view the video if it might be loud, jarring or otherwise unlike the rest of the quiet web.
Dan Alustiza
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:51:22 AM(UTC)
Dan Alustiza

The concept of keeping something simple can be compared to a person walking into an actual store location. When I walk into a store, I don't want to have some salesperson walking with me the entire time just yapping away. This is exactly what a web site with flash, or speach coming out of your speakers can be compared to. I would deck that salesperson, as would annoy me to the point where I would just get fed up.
Dean
#12 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2008 8:41:49 PM(UTC)
Dean

Here is a talking character that I did. This character doesn't say anything until you interact. There is also a mute button so that the user can just view the visual presentation and leave the sound shut off.

This character is scheduled to move to a different url in the future, so this link may not be good too long.

http://www.cozyparts.com/lennox-parts/

Also, I wouild have preferred to use professional voice talent. Something that should be considered if you have a site that can justify the expense.
emunah
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:01:26 AM(UTC)
emunah

I really need help with BV. It is not running properly and bv wants 180/hr for support. Our test site created two databases instead of one with sample data and we have to run it in vb debug mode to get it to run. Any suggestions?
Cliff
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:28:02 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Off topic, emunah, try not to hijack threads; it makes searching more difficult than it already is, if that's possible.
Paul
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 6:07:59 PM(UTC)
Paul

Hi all,

The site at the centre of your topic is my wife's and mine. We run have run Dance In Education Services for the past 12 years (me helping out in my spare time).

The e-commerce site is aimed at School teachers and our e-resources are exclusively created for Teachers and pupils in the compulsory education sector in the United Kingdom and, thus, are tied to the subject of Dance Teaching and Learning in the UK National Curriculum 2000. This is why there is a very wide range of products all created with our own hands over many years and in response to the changing curriculum.

The site has been up for a couple of months and there is a mammoth amount of work to do...be assured.

I certainly do not think there is too much on our site...we currently host only a small fraction of our product range in our e-shop...there's a lot more for people to download, but time, as you all know, is a common enemy in website design/promotion/management! If too many items on the shopping site page are a turn-off, then keep away from Amazon and e-Bay...hardly a model of successful online trading, anyway!! You search on these sites for more relevant stuff and we offer this facility, too.

Also, how does our sitepal welcomer differ from the emoticons you get on this very forum?...if you have used one it is because you wanted to smile, groan, curse or cry and have someone realise that emotion in an alternative way. Was the manner in which you displayed your feelings superfluous? Did your reader regard your emotion as less valid or real? Your emoticons are my sitepals.

The sitepal in question talks when you first visit (for 10 seconds or so) and shuts up until you click the play button again...or until your next session. You can switch its volume down, too.

The vast majority of 'download this resource for use in schools' websites tend to be flat and functional, I make no apologies for wanting to present Dance resources in a dynamic and kinaesthetic manner. Despite what Mr Nielsen and other 'usability' experts might say, in our sector, that little bit of 'glitter' - the talking woman, is a consistent talking point among our customers when they pick up the phone, or compose an email/ letter to order.

The In, Buy, Out model is a great one...but every single one of you have visited an online shop to browse..you probably do this more than actually buying! Our customers can, indeed, browse, they can listen to excerpts of our music tracks in the shop itself before buying, they can comment on the resource for others to read, they can do many things, but they can also come in, buy and get out with the minimum fuss. Obviously, as we sell music, we have music which is 'click-to-play'able on our site. One would not consider the sample preview facility on iTunes a nuisance...indeed, how many of you get in, buy and get out of iTunes? Do you, perhaps, stay a while to listen...of course you do, which is why people who record songs in their bedrooms can get into the charts...your reluctance to get in and out quickly breeds creativity and promotes every philosophical stance upon which the Internet was built.

I don't think that brevity is what customers always want...sometimes they want you to hold their hand, enlighten them, encourage them and make them feel special. These are people visiting our shop, not robots. They are the same people that we interface with regularly in our on-site workshops and staff training events (another arm of the business) and our consultancy work...real feedback from real and actual customers, not generalisations, not anonymous feedback forms - just comments from people who trusted us enough to strike up a commercial relationship.

If you walked into your local store and the shopkeeper told you that you could only get in, buy and get out, you'd be pretty disloyal next time you were wondering if a Snicker, Mars Bar or M&amp;Ms were going to be the best thing for your latest choco-craving!

We have a main website and a UK national award-winning portal site (subscription only) for teachers and pupils of Dance. They also make use of sitepals...the portal is used by thousands of schools and tens of thousands of users across England and Wales (the reach of the National Curriculum) and one person has yet to let us know that these characters do not add to their experience...indeed they create a level of expectation. Pupils relate to these sitepals very well because they usually access their portal site from home or in their school library, where bthe real educator/tutor, is not there to guide.

I agree wholeheartedly about the 'fake' voice problem, but that's more to do with our old friend Father Time than money or a willingness to improve the user experience.

It was Tim Berners-Lee himself that said..."web pages are designed for people"...and I would concur by saying that our web pages are designed for our people...not necessarily 'the' people. I believe that we honour our corner of the Internet the way the other 10 billion web pages represent their own corner in this multi-faceted, cyberspacial anomaly. Our site is part of the diversity of the web and if we do things differently, or are perceived as 'unmodern', I would like to appeal to your sense of righteousness by saying that this does not mean that we are backward, inaccessible, unhip, or failing our valued customers. The fact that they continue to come back to our corner is testament to the validity and sheer worth of all our sleepless nights/years of resource and web developments.

Thanks for this discussion thread...I certainly do not feel that the general negativity around my site design choices was a bad thing...talk is better than guns!

All the very best to you all.
Chris Dittmeier
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 9:02:57 PM(UTC)
Chris Dittmeier

I don't think the comments were directed at your site in particular, but were meant as a discussion on the pros and cons of this type of web device.

I personnally prefer version with the "click on the head" before it starts to talk. The head on the UK site could be improved by at least adding a "Stop" or "Mute" button.

On the one hand, a nice welcome with a soft voice is kind of like going into a store and having a sales person greet you. On the other side of the discussion is the salesman that hounds you as you browse through the store. The UK site doesn't hound you, but lets you know help is available. Yes it can be done with text. Sometimes a novel approach to doing things works better for some people.

It is far better than some sites that start blasting music at you while you rapidly scan the site looking for the player to hit the stop button.
Chris
Sirius Programming

www.siriusprogramming.com
Matt@9BallDesign
#17 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 10:53:19 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Originally Posted by: "Chris" Go to Quoted Post

(It is far better than some sites that start blasting music at you while you rapidly scan the site looking for the player to hit the stop button.)
That's the big issue with the whole thing, it can scare the hell out of you...spit your coffee...jump out of your seat...alert the boss or coworkers as too what you're doing.

I'm trying to dig it up, it was a college's technical department website. It was the best *sitepal* integration I've ever seen because it was a real human being that faded into the spotlight, you saw the shadow morph and you heard footsteps. A real actor/voice artist welcomed you to the site, explained how to use it, etc. I didn't feel interrupted. Father Time and a nice budget will get you that! LOL..

Whenever I hop over to a site like myspace, I instinctively know to turn the speakers down because it's 99.99% of the time about to blast the person's selected tune for the day.

Paulus, you carved your niche. Empathies on making the choice to find a way to stand out in the market. If it works for you, that's all that matters!
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative &amp; Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
Dean
#18 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 9:06:59 AM(UTC)
Dean

Hello all!

I have always found sites that have sound to be annoying and found myself torn when it came time to consider a "talking head" for any of our sites. The talking head I linked to in my former post in this thread was designed to address my concerns. I still wonder how many visitors quickly close the browser when they see the talking head loading, assuming that it will start blasting noise at any second.

There is good news for us though. We did get a big drop in the number of questions that people were asking. The talking head video was designed to answer a lot of the common questions that we get. So in that regard, we know people are watching it and that it is working.

We still may hire professional voice talent. While I think the voice we have is decent, nothing is as good as using professional voice talent. My feeling it that the talking head is impersonal, and the automated voice adds to that impersonal nature of this type of media.

On a technical note, the talking head that I linked to is a large Flash file. I first tried linking each scene so that they would load independently, making it more usable for those using a dial up connection. This strategy turned out to slow down the experience for broadband users. I finally elected to design for the broadband users, and leave dial up users to figure it out that they will have to wait 2 or 3 minutes to let the flash file load. I think most dial up users are used to that by now... the Internet world is designing more and more to cater to broadband users.