• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Dan @ Wolfe
#1 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2007 11:27:44 PM(UTC)
Dan @ Wolfe

How does everyone check the look of thier websites in the different web browsers?

I have IE6 and Firefox, and i can see differences in the IE6 as compared to Firefox. IE6 isn't displaying some things correctly at this time. I'm woking on it, but it's a pain. I'm using TEKGear Redux as my theme and modifying it. Some things just are displaying correctly.

http://wolferacecraft.com.mytempweb.com/

Here is the site i'm working on. As you can see the Top Sellers box is missing the top border in IE6. In Firefox everything is good. i don't know about IE7 as i don't have that installed.

Thanks
Dan
MitchA
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2007 8:57:27 AM(UTC)
MitchA

Dan, Yes, I do.

I had a look on a brand new Vista machine (my wife's new laptop, of course my machine is 5yo in a month) running IE7. It looks about the same as it does on my IE6 browser. Tops are cut off in the same places. Also, note that the extra images of the squirrel are slid off the the left side in FF.

I noticed that my home page category grid looked off when my wife fired up her toy. The factory setting had the resolution high and the browser text size setting smooshed the text off of the 'background'.jpgs. Gotta get that fixed....

Nailing this stuff down is like chasing 50 chickens. Keep at it.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
scott.mech
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2007 10:32:24 AM(UTC)
scott.mech

Dan,
We use virtual machines running on a pair of computers to test against many different browsers. You may be better off styling the site without ever opening IE6, using FireFox2 to design against and using Firebug to increase your productivity. Once your done, go back and handle the exceptions in other browsers. You will likely find that IE6 seems to need the most cleanup here. You can deliver IE6 and earlier style rules in conditional comments to handle differences between browsers. Just so you know, your design breaks quickly on text resize in FireFox.

Scott Mech
[email protected]
Dan @ Wolfe
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2007 1:29:04 PM(UTC)
Dan @ Wolfe

Originally Posted by: "Scott" Go to Quoted Post

Dan,
We use virtual machines running on a pair of computers to test against many different browsers. You may be better off styling the site without ever opening IE6, using FireFox2 to design against and using Firebug to increase your productivity. Once your done, go back and handle the exceptions in other browsers. You will likely find that IE6 seems to need the most cleanup here. You can deliver IE6 and earlier style rules in conditional comments to handle differences between browsers. Just so you know, your design breaks quickly on text resize in FireFox.

Scott Mech
[email protected]
I have been using Firefox with Firebug to do the design changes and has worked well for me.

How do you do conditional comments specific to IE6? Also how is the best way to handle text resize? I have just been doing some basic CSS changes to the TEKGear Redux, which i used as my starting theme.

Thanks
Dan
Cliff
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2007 2:32:58 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Dan, quirksmode.com has a nice overview of conditional comments: http://www.quirksmode.org/css/condcom.html

I like to keep IE-specifics in a separate stylesheet, so in the head of your masterpages you can do this, for example:
Code:
<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<link href="styles/ie6.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<![endif]-->

That's basically saying if IE6 or lower, serve this stylesheet up.