• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Cliff
#1 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2006 3:45:15 PM(UTC)
Cliff

As many of you who have been working with the BVC5 themes over the past several links, a few things have changed from BVC 2004. Designers and developers have a ton of new flexibility that didn't exist before ASP.Net 2.0 and the ingenuity of BV Software. But along with the flexibility comes some complexity, such as naming your theme. You can no long simply change the theme folder name, but each master page and control in a theme must have their class names changed as well, since you can now develop in code-behind pages in your theme which is compiled on the fly.

I just put up a little theme generator on promotionsickness.com which should take some of the pain out of creating a new theme for your BV Commerce 5 store. The BVC5 Theme Factory is the first part of some web-based tools and concepts currently in development. It works by copying an existing BVC5 theme, renaming it in all the right places, and zipping it up for you to download and drop into your store.

The Theme Factory modifies the following:
1. Theme folder name.
2. Theme info XML.
3. Classes in master pages, controls and associated code-behind pages (usually about 20).
4. The primary stylesheet.

Here's a rough visual overview:

Please post if you make use of this tool and find any issues.

[3]http://www.promotionsickness.co.../bvc5-theme-factory.aspx[/3]

Enjoy!
Cliff
Cliff attached the following image(s):
theme-factory-demo.gif (43kb) downloaded 470 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
przytula
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:03:08 PM(UTC)
przytula

Cliff, when do you sleep??

=)
[email protected]
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:04:28 PM(UTC)
info@cpapsupplyusa.com

Cliff... if this works like I have prayed to the gods, then I will be the happiest BVC5 admin in the world.

Updates to come.
M. Hall
CPAP Supply USA

http://www.cpapsupplyusa.com
[email protected]
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:12:46 PM(UTC)
info@cpapsupplyusa.com

Ok ok... So, it gave me a great place to start modifying. Thanks Cliff. I needed this too.
M. Hall
CPAP Supply USA

Matt@9BallDesign
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 1:00:55 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Cliff, I sent you a donation for your time & services!
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative & Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
Cliff
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 1:01:32 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Important to note that this isn't a wizard for building and recoloring simple themes (at least not yet, and will never be for these particular themes). This tool just allows you to quickly start a new theme by renaming everything. Mostly because I was sick of doing it by hand, or using crappy find/replace. :)
[email protected]
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 2:02:12 PM(UTC)
info@cpapsupplyusa.com

It's still a wonderful tool.... I look forward to more little utilities. I think I might throw a donation your way too!
M. Hall
CPAP Supply USA

carolh11
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2006 3:38:53 PM(UTC)
carolh11

We are having a heck of a time reworking a theme and then uploading it into the Themes folder. The theme was downloaded, renamed and is based on the BVc5 theme that was downloaded from the Factory, hardly anything has changed except replacing header file and background colors in the css and it won't read. see error log. Any thoughts?

See error log below...

Server Error in '/' Application.
Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>
Cliff
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2006 6:28:43 PM(UTC)
Cliff

That is a generic error telling you of the changes you'll need to make in your web.config file to disable custom errors so you can see the real error. Just follow the instructions and come back with the actual error. Also check your error log from the BV admin.