• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Chris Dittmeier
#1 Posted : Friday, October 6, 2006 1:12:28 PM(UTC)
Chris Dittmeier

Does anyone have a cross reference of theme information (id tags, etc.) to help transfer a theme from BVC2004 to BVC5?

Updated: Even 2 lists of tags, one list for BVC5 and one for BVC2004 would help.
Chris
Sirius Programming

www.siriusprogramming.com
Dean
#2 Posted : Friday, October 6, 2006 7:23:17 PM(UTC)
Dean

Chris:

I want to give you some kind of response, because I have been trying to get a little feedback here in the forum, and its hard to come by. I am sure you would rather hear from a "CSS Expert".

Well, there is so many new ones, I don't see where a conversion table would help much. Seems that many of the old ones are the same... well kinda.

Just jump in there and get your ears wet.... you'll have a new ** GREAT THEME** in no time :)
Chris Dittmeier
#3 Posted : Friday, October 6, 2006 8:31:52 PM(UTC)
Chris Dittmeier

I'm comparing the BVC2004 and BVC5 themes using Excel to see if I can match any of the CSS, even if the name is totally different. I'm also looking at each BVC5 theme to see if I can get a good list of all items.
Chris
Sirius Programming

Cliff
#4 Posted : Friday, October 6, 2006 9:45:48 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Your stylesheet is really your list. There are a ton of options in BVC5, especially in the modules, that aren't really touched with the BVC5 themes at this point.

The best way to do the transition is by sight, honestly. Forget moving your CSS snippets over by looking at the stylesheets themselves, or at a list. Making changes by focusing on one section at a time and either moving those styles, or (preferably) creating new ones, is ideal; you're going to end up with a much better, and more solid result. There's really no way to effectively cross-reference using a list.
Chris Dittmeier
#5 Posted : Friday, October 6, 2006 10:36:15 PM(UTC)
Chris Dittmeier

As I create the list, I see that many do not match, as you pointed out.

So for BVC5 themes, I'm also taking the list of id and class tags from the style sheets and noting what pages they are used on. Once in Excel, it isn't very difficult to create a list of id and class tags on each page. This way, I can look at a page and know what tags need to be used to create the proper CSS theme file. I'm trying not to miss something that should be in the CSS and I want to know what CSS element changes what item on a page.

It's just the engineer in me wanting good documentation.
Chris
Sirius Programming

Dean
#6 Posted : Friday, October 6, 2006 10:41:47 PM(UTC)
Dean

I have my own method.. probably not the best... but it works for me. I just look at the pages source HTML in my html editor, without applying the link to the style sheet... this gives you a crude block diagram of the page without the theme applied.

Then I make adjustments and just look at the results.

I tried doing styles in VS, but didn't like it. I am old school... probably because I am old! :)
Cliff
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2006 9:26:31 AM(UTC)
Cliff

Right on. Chris, keep in mind that the right way not to miss something that should be in CSS is to see the issue on the page. Otherwise, you'll be covering things in the stylesheet that actually don't even need to be there, depending on the design, making the stylesheet much heavier than it should be.

But the engineer comment does make more sense to me now. ;-)