• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

ktory
#1 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2006 6:19:38 PM(UTC)
ktory

Please verify that I am correct.

1. Nothing in my current BVC 2004 theme gets transferred over.
2. There is absolutely no documention on how to create a theme.

I used a lightly modified version of a free theme from Promotion Sickness on my 2004 site. I didn't really need to change much, so I didn't have to know much. Now I'm dead in the water and have to learn how to create a theme without a shred of documentation? Again, if I'm wrong please let me know.

Btw, where is all of the developer documentation that we were promised for BV 5? All I can find is the same user documentation - the one that tells you what you already know and doesn't ever help you with the things you don't know.
Cliff
#2 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2006 9:39:35 PM(UTC)
Cliff

1. Basically, yes. The theming system is completely different and takes advantage of a bunch of new features in ASP.Net 2.0. The new flexibility is amazing, couldn't be happier. BVC 2004 themes need to be migrated by hand, basically just duplicating the design into the new system.
2. No documentation that I've seen so far, but you could write a whole book. The best way is to get familiar with ASP.Net's new master pages and how they work, and start digging into the bundled themes, and the theme I posted here a few days ago. They're a bit rough, but should give you a good starting point.

To create a new theme, duplicate an existing theme and rename the folder. That will be your theme name. Then you will need to go into the .master and .master.vb files and change the class names to match. From there just select your new theme via the admin and start working with the CSS, controls, master pages, and modules (if needed).

The Fresh Start theme for BVC5 is currently in the works, but I don't have an ETA yet.

BVC5 is still very new, so I expect the developer documentation isn't ready yet. From what I've heard, BV is still working steadily on new docs. I'm sure they can answer that for you, though.
CodeSine
#3 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2006 10:18:47 PM(UTC)
CodeSine

To add to Cliffs great information - There will never be a document that explains how to make a theme for BVC5 as it would involve writing an entire book on .NET 2.0 Master pages, CSS Design and HTML. These books already exist.

As more base themes become available it will be easier to just swap out images and make some CSS changes to get a look that is close to something you might like but until then you can duplicate an existing theme and begin working with it. It's not as hard as it looks.
TIM

BVC Add-Ons and Development
Cliff
#4 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2006 10:26:34 PM(UTC)
Cliff

On the other hand, if anyone wants to offer a nice book deal... ;-)
ktory
#5 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2006 11:00:51 PM(UTC)
ktory

Thanks for the feedback. I'd love to get a BV5 Fresh Start - I would even pay money!

I don't agree with the comment about documentation. There should be documentation that describes how everything fits into the BV 5 world, not how CSS works. I sell a WinForms software package with source - I don't explain C#, but I sure explain what our classes do and why! The lack of developer documentation is the biggest hole in BV, and I am disappointed it has not been addressed yet. Someone should have been writing it during development, so it could be released at the same time as the software. If you sell a package to developers, the moment you are ready to take their money is the moment ALL of your documentation should be ready.
Scottne
#6 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2006 3:50:19 PM(UTC)
Scottne

You all know my feelings on the lack of migration of previous themes ;) It's going on 3 weeks now since release date and there is still not a shred of documentation. Heck there isn't even an official document that tells us how to create a working VS05 project out of the download "officially".

These things need to be addressed and promptly.
Nick Alberti
#7 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2006 4:04:24 PM(UTC)
Nick Alberti

I'm working on creating tutorials for these two items this week.
Victor1Smith
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:25:30 PM(UTC)
Victor1Smith

Do you have to have VS05 to compile?
All I have is VS03.

Thanks,
Victor
________________________________________________________________________________

Get Vic!

http://www.getvic.com

Claim your Victory on the World Wide Web!..... Get Vic
________________________________________________________________________________
ktory
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2006 12:50:15 AM(UTC)
ktory

It runs under the .net runtime version 2.0 - You must have VS 2005. The good news is, VS 2005 and asp.net 2.0 have all kinds of great new features, and BV was rewritten to use the advanced features, not just ported.
Victor1Smith
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2006 12:55:31 AM(UTC)
Victor1Smith

WOW Kevin,

Do you think I can use one of the free versions?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

Get Vic!

http://www.getvic.com

Claim your Victory on the World Wide Web!..... Get Vic
JohnRossey
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2006 5:32:22 AM(UTC)
JohnRossey

Yes, you can use the free versions...I have the Express and it's just fine unless you want to do serious development...then I'd buy a better version. For my needs as a designer, ythe Express version is just great.
John Rossey Productions
[color=gray>Flash,][/color]
[email protected]
http://www.johnrossey.com/
http://www.toocoolwebs.com
Cliff
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2006 11:44:43 AM(UTC)
Cliff

Yeah, Visual Web Developer 2005 Express should be all you need, even to compile, I think (if you ever need to). I have both, but I pretty much only use Express.