• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

jwilliams
#1 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2006 5:23:43 PM(UTC)
jwilliams

Are there any tutorials on how to create plugins for bvc5?
Nick Alberti
#2 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2006 5:48:32 PM(UTC)
Nick Alberti

What type of plugin are you looking to create?
jwilliams
#3 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2006 7:29:00 PM(UTC)
jwilliams

From what I have dug up so far, it seems I need to create a new offer. I have looked at some of the pre-existing offers and am totally clueless as to how to go about create one of my own.
jwilliams
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:20:20 PM(UTC)
jwilliams

Does anyone know where the logic for how an offer operates is? The edit.ascx and edit.ascx.vb files that are in all the specific offer folders don't seem to contain this logic.
ktam
#5 Posted : Monday, September 25, 2006 4:57:58 PM(UTC)
ktam

Yes, it would be nice if there were more (ANY!) documentation on how to create a plug-in. Am interested in creation of a customized, totally new plug in for the "Offers" area. This would give quantity discounts over a whole category of products, each of the products in this category is priced the same. We refer to it as a mix and match discount. There is no documentation on the class or methods.
ktam
#6 Posted : Monday, September 25, 2006 5:02:29 PM(UTC)
ktam

Also, wanted to note that the BOGO (Buy one Get one free) offer module supplied with BV5 does not seem to work in the way that you would want. Instead of Buy one, get one free it really is "Buy one, get something else free (or at a discount)". It doesn't allow you to offer the same SKU (the one you bought) as the free or discounted product - you have to offer a different SKU at the discount/free. Is anyone else having this same problem?
New2BV
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:28:23 PM(UTC)
New2BV

I am also looking for something like this. Documentation that is. I started going through each page until I found the info I was looking for. Very, very time consuming.
ChristianMoments
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 18, 2006 8:51:23 PM(UTC)
ChristianMoments

Where did you find the documentation on creating plug-ins?
ChristianMoments
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 18, 2006 8:52:44 PM(UTC)
ChristianMoments

I want to create a simple xml product export plugin that will only take me a day or so to write and debug at most but I most with a company that I rent the BVC5 liscence from so I don't get access to the source code. A plugin manual would be awesome!
Nick Alberti
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2006 10:17:33 AM(UTC)
Nick Alberti

The hard part about creating a plug-in tutorial is that almost all major items in BV Commerce 5 are plug-ins. Category Templates, Checkouts, Content Blocks, Credit Cared Gateways, WYSIWYG Editors, Offers, Workflows/Task, Product Choices, Payment Methods, Product Templates, Reports, Shipping Providers, Themes and more!
Cliff
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:19:23 AM(UTC)
Cliff

Yeah, I'm also having a difficult time envisioning docs for modules, since there are so many options. Perhaps just something basic, like the general structure and examples of how the modules and plugins interact with the store and admin sides?

I don't think you could create a very effective plugin without access to the software, though, Christian Moments. You're renting a BVC5 license?
Nick Alberti
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:21:10 AM(UTC)
Nick Alberti

Cool. I'll see what I can come up with.
New2BV
#13 Posted : Friday, October 20, 2006 9:24:20 AM(UTC)
New2BV

Christian moments, if you were asking me that question. I haven't found any documentation. I have been sitting here going through each page until i find what i have been looking for and then writing my code. Hopefully my eyes will uncross soon.
ktam
#14 Posted : Friday, October 20, 2006 3:08:50 PM(UTC)
ktam

Nick, the first plug in tutorials should focus on where the money is - discounts and offers. And of these two, probably the offers as those are more focused. This will help give your customers the most bang for the buck. Right now, BVC5 cannot provide mix and match offers and cannot provide "Buy One Get One Free" pricing (as referenced elsewhere in the forums, the supplied BOGO module is not useful/correct) and we don't know how to program these things to make it right. Even though the offer plug-ins was a key selling point of BVC5, (and the reason we bought it) there is no information on how to use it.

These things really need to be automated -- our staff having to manually review and re-price every order to get the correct discounted price (as we are forced to do now) is ridiculous. I do not look forward to the start of the holiday shopping season in a few weeks...
Nick Alberti
#15 Posted : Friday, October 20, 2006 3:25:53 PM(UTC)
Nick Alberti

The issue with BOGO on the same product will be fixed in SP1.

I think creating a tutorial on discounts or offers would probably be a little bit much for a general article. I think majority of the users are looking for general information on how plug-ins are created.

What specific issues are you having with sales or offers that requires your staff to re-price every order? If you’re having an issue with the current sales or offers, please let us know so we may include a fix in SP1.
ktam
#16 Posted : Friday, October 20, 2006 5:56:52 PM(UTC)
ktam

Nick, any information/documentation on plug-ins would be greatly appreciated.

As far as the operational problems we currently have with our BVC 2004 store, it is with offering the Mix and Match quantity discounts (example: buy 3 or more of any (flavor) of our 1.8 oz boxed products and get at $4.99 instead of at $5.49). Mix and Match for high variety, high volume sellers like us is not really practical with BVC, so what we do is manually review every order for Mix and Match and reprice the product, and then reprice the shipping if necessary.

1. The situation above is on our "test" site, which is live but with only a small amount of different products. However, this site has become more popular and busy than we anticipated.

2. We did purchase a BVC5 license with the hope that we could build a custom plug-in to allow mix and match quantity discount processing. Since we couldn't do that, we put together a work-around configuring six different products into one product, but with 6 variations thru customer choices. We don't want to go live with this as it definitely is less friendly to our users, not to mention it wreaks havoc with some of the neat features of BVC 5 such as URL rewriting.

3. Mix and Match is an important selling technique for us, so cancelling that is not an option for us. We want to expand to it to even more products so the workaround in 2 would not be practical.

Yes, this seems like this is our little problem but wouldn't customiizing offer plug-ins, a feature which already is in BV5 architecture, be a great solution for this as well as similar issues for e-merchants? We definitely thought so ... but we don't know how to use it.

That was the original point of this thread - documentation for customized plug ins. This is one of the most, if not the most, widely read BV5 thread so you know there is interest. Thank you for efforts - we definitely would appreciate any tutorial.
scott.mech
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2006 8:31:43 AM(UTC)
scott.mech

any documentation on plug-ins?

Scott Mech
Marcus
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2006 8:51:02 AM(UTC)
Marcus

There is a tutorial in the manual on how to create a content block plugin:

www.bvsoftware.com/BVCommerce5Manual/How To's/CreateAContentBlock.aspx
scott.mech
#19 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2006 8:00:08 AM(UTC)
scott.mech

thanks marcus.

Scott Mech