• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

jasolution
#1 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 12:00:15 PM(UTC)
jasolution

To simplify the Google Base Feed uploads for the BVCommerce sites we develop and host, we've written a Windows Service that automates the build & upload of the Google Base product feeds. This has worked very well for us over the past year since we can "set it and forget it" and not have to manually deal with uploading feeds.

I'm considering selling this as a low-cost "add-on" to BVCommerce (need to find out how to get in the Partner directory, too), but before I spend the effort to get it ready for public distribution, I want to find out if anyone else has a need or interest in this.

Here are the basic features:

<UL>
* Email notification each time the feed uploads

* Runs as a Windows Service and an XML configuration file allows one installation to build and upload feeds for multiple BVCommerce sites.

* Each instance can have its own SQL query, upload schedules (based on time of day, as many per day as you want), Google FTP logon credentials, e-mail notification address, etc.

* Multiple websites supported with a single installation file (good for hosting providers)
</UL>

The only catch is that you need to have console access to your server, or have a hosting provider that will install the service for you on their server. If you're a hosting provider, then you can provide this service to your customers who are using BVCommerce and manage all fields from one configuration file.

Does anyone else have a need/interest for this app?

Thanks,

Jason
[email protected]
#2 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2008 9:31:06 AM(UTC)
info@cpapsupplyusa.com

Very interested.

Would also like to similar access for other engines, like Shopping.com, Yahoo! Shopping, Price Grabber, etc. heheheh... Too much?
M. Hall
CPAP Supply USA

http://www.cpapsupplyusa.com
jonm
#3 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2008 12:57:15 PM(UTC)
jonm

Yeah this would be a seller in our minds. If you make it we will buy it! *grins*
-Jonathan Moore
www.tvps.com
birdsafe
#4 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2008 1:01:47 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

Yes -- the current built-in solution doesn't seem to work and I don't have time to manually upload the list
Surfscience
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 4:03:21 PM(UTC)
Surfscience

Hey Joe, in what way does the built-in solution not work for you? - I agree that you need to remember to click the 'Generate Feed and Upload to Google' once a month but apart from that it works well, doesn't it?

I did need to make a couple of changes some weeks ago because Google (UK anyway) have deprecated some of the attributes used in the feed generator so I just commented them out in the BVAdmin/Plugins/BV Froogle Feed/Default.aspx.vb page and it's worked fine since (if anyone has had the same problem give me a shout and I can post the changes here).

Jason, I like the idea of a set and forget but since for me it's just one click a month to remember it would need to be pocket money. Like the others say, a whole new system that supported some of the other price comparisson sites would be another story :D
birdsafe
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:08:43 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

Matt,

I do'nt know - but all I know is I do that and go to google a week later -- nothing. Only if I manually upload the feed does it "take"
Matt@9BallDesign
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:56:29 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

You guys can setup a scheduled download via the Googlebase dashboard. Place the link to the feed file, set your date and google will grab it.
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative &amp; Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
Aaron
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:57:48 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
There are also services like ChannelAdvisor and SingleFeed that help manage product catalogs across multiple shopping comparison sites. They provide some pretty slick functionality to save time.

Aaron
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
birdsafe
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2008 12:07:31 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

Pretty pricey too!
IceCactus
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:45:10 PM(UTC)
IceCactus

Originally Posted by: "Matt@surfscience" Go to Quoted Post

Hey Joe, in what way does the built-in solution not work for you? - I agree that you need to remember to click the 'Generate Feed and Upload to Google' once a month but apart from that it works well, doesn't it?

I did need to make a couple of changes some weeks ago because Google (UK anyway) have deprecated some of the attributes used in the feed generator so I just commented them out in the BVAdmin/Plugins/BV Froogle Feed/Default.aspx.vb page and it's worked fine since (if anyone has had the same problem give me a shout and I can post the changes here).

Jason, I like the idea of a set and forget but since for me it's just one click a month to remember it would need to be pocket money. Like the others say, a whole new system that supported some of the other price comparisson sites would be another story :D
with 60k products it fails miserably :)

Luckily only 4k of my stuff is actually categorized, so modded it to only spit out products that belong to a category.
Slagman42
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2009 7:56:09 AM(UTC)
Slagman42

Has anyone received an email from Google Products announcing that we will now have to have the condition attribute to have the products show up? I have looked through my admin area and I don't see how to add this. Does anyone know how to add this? Also, did the BV add on to automatically upload the products ever get built? I have to do it manually at least once a month to get it to work. The "create feed and send to Google" does not work for me.
Narrowpath
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:45:32 AM(UTC)
Narrowpath

Yes, Google has made several changes to the Googlebase requirements (ie. condition, brand name, etc). You would need to modify the code-behind of the GoogleBase Plug-In to add the new fields.

Feel free to contact us via phone or email if you need assistance.

Wallace Miller -- Narrowpath Design
Providing installation, custom development, and design services for BVC5 sites
24/7 tech support and consultation service available for BVSoftware E-Commerce
760.728.8679 (phone)
[email protected]
JavaNut
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:49:45 PM(UTC)
JavaNut

Slagman42 - I have not received the email you've referenced yet but my Data Quality page in Google base shows I am missing not only the Condition attribute but the Product Type as well. My items are still being published without these extra bits of data, but perhaps Google is in the midst of getting word out about the change to their requirements.

Having said that, I realize this is a free tool, but since BV provided it, shouldn't BV be responsible for the updates to it? I am not a coder so can't modify the code, and prefer not to pay someone else to modify what I thought was a free add-on.

Joe - I believe I have the same issue as you. I can generate a feed from BV and manually upload with success, but the generate feed/FTP doesn't work for me.