• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>>>
Marcus
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2006 4:27:25 PM(UTC)
Marcus

The BV Commerce 5 Flat File Import/Export tool is designed to let store owners easily import new item, update existing items and export current items. The tool currently supports working with Categories, Products and Users. The program will ready tab delimited text files for imports and updates and will generate tab delimited text files for export.

Requirements
• Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or later must be installed on your computer
• Windows Operating System (XP, 2003 Server, Vista, etc.)
• Internet Access to your store’s web site

Installation
1) Download the BVC5-ImportTool-Version1.zip file from the user forums at http://www.bvsoftware.com/forums/
2) Unzip the downloaded file into any folder on your computer. If you need an unzip program you can try www.winzip.com or www.7-zip.com
3) That’s it!
*** IMPORTANT ***
You should always make a full and complete backup of your database before running any import/update operations. There is no "undo" feature for an import or update.
File Attachment(s):
BV Commerce 5 Flat File Import Tool Manual.pdf (336kb) downloaded 1,365 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Dan Cassidy
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2006 11:13:46 AM(UTC)
Dan Cassidy

Marcus,

Does this also work for csv files. I tried to import and it tells me the first column needs to be named "bvin", which it was, then I converted the csv to a tab delimited and it tells me that it cannot determine the type. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dan
Marcus
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2006 11:15:28 AM(UTC)
Marcus

Dan,

I'd suggest reading the full user manual before using this tool.

1) The input files must be tab delimited
2) Depending on the import there are a couple of required fields. For products they are "bvin","parentid" and "sku"
Dan Cassidy
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2006 12:52:38 PM(UTC)
Dan Cassidy

Sorry, it was a bit late when I was trying to do this. I get it now. Thanks.

Dan
Dan Cassidy
#5 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2006 9:58:42 AM(UTC)
Dan Cassidy

Marcus,

It worked great! Imported 4,617 products without a glitch.
svtechmall
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2006 11:20:34 AM(UTC)
svtechmall

is the import field template the same as BV4? If not do you have a sample available?
http://www.svtechmall.com
Buy computers, computer parts, laptops, laptop accessories, MP3 players, digital cameras, video games, dvds and much more!
Marcus
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2006 11:20:58 AM(UTC)
Marcus

The file format is different from BV4. You can "export" first to get a sample template.
Marcus
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2006 7:08:06 PM(UTC)
Marcus

NOTE: Version 1.0.1.1 of the import tool was just posted.

This update fixes a bug where end of line characters were not correctly scrubbed out of text during exports. This could lead to an incorrect tab delimited file.
svtechmall
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2006 8:50:39 PM(UTC)
svtechmall

Originally Posted by: "Marcus" Go to Quoted Post
Dan,

I'd suggest reading the full user manual before using this tool.

1) The input files must be tab delimited
2) Depending on the import there are a couple of required fields. For products they are "bvin","parentid" and "sku"

I just exported my data, the "parentid" field was blank. i'm assuming all three fields (product id in all 3) must be the same when i upload?
http://www.svtechmall.com
Buy computers, computer parts, laptops, laptop accessories, MP3 players, digital cameras, video games, dvds and much more!
Marcus
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2006 8:51:17 PM(UTC)
Marcus

The "parentid" field must exist in your import file. It is normally blank for products without choices.
Marcus
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2006 8:53:34 PM(UTC)
Marcus

bvin = a computer generated unique code that looks something like bbf32-a209f-ac44e-5289c-cdd21
sku = your stock keeping unit or item code (i.e. ABC123)
parentid = the bvin of another product if this is a choice that belongs to some other product
[email protected]
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2007 9:26:46 AM(UTC)
bobn@laurastamm.net

Couple questions.

Is this tool up to date? Have all the fixes been made?

When I export products, will it export the customer choices as well?

The product information I would like to see exported is:
All products sold for one individual product SKU (input) complete with customer choices made, email address and amount owed.

This would give me all the information I need to create a roster for each of our clinics (one at a time) and an email clinic reminder.

Can this tool be modified to do that?

Bob Noble

laurastamm.net
hyper
#13 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2007 11:59:08 AM(UTC)
hyper

I have been using the tool and I am experiencing an issue that could affect your data. I have found no problems with the tool when I upload a new product file with a Bvin value="new" - all fields in the file import to the database accurately.

If I export the product file using the tool and use the file with the Bvin values assigned by the database, then modify a field and import the data back into the store's database, it zeroes fields such as cost, price, weight/length/width/height, ship from location and a few others. The tool does not work when I try to modify a field using the import tool.

I have also tried using the minimum fields specified to modify the sku, where the file was limited to a Bvin, ParentId and Sku field. It modified the sku field and zeroed all other fields even though they were not included in the file import. It may be limited to a specific BV5 release or could be me.

I recommend you test the import tool on a couple of products or in a test environment.

I emailed Nick and believe they are looking at the issue.
Rich
#14 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2007 4:18:07 PM(UTC)
Rich

Just downloaded and setting up version 1.0.1.1 of the import tool and was able to download the users and categories but I'm getting an error when trying to download the products.

Server was unable to process request-problem generating the XML doc-object reference not set to an instance of an object at ...

Not sure how to copy and paste the error.

Rich
rwillhite
#15 Posted : Sunday, January 7, 2007 11:57:05 AM(UTC)
rwillhite

I am getting the following error when trying to log in for export:

Login failed for uers admin. I am using the same userid and password as for the bvadmin site

Attached is the text of the error
rwillhite attached the following image(s):
ImportExport Error.jpg (78kb) downloaded 437 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Marcus
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2007 2:58:36 PM(UTC)
Marcus

Note: I just upgraded to import tool to version 1.1 which corrects a problem where product updates could erase existing product information like prices and descriptions.
jbailey
#17 Posted : Friday, January 26, 2007 9:51:51 AM(UTC)
jbailey

I have downloaded and tried out your import/export tool for both products and categories. It works very well except for one thing - the sort order.

After importing categories, I found that I can no longer go into admin and change the sort order of the categories. When I went directly into the SQL database, I manually changed the sort order and that worked fine. However, when I reimported using the import tool, the sort order was reset again and I could no longer change it in admin again.

There seems to be no sort order field in the .txt file (I originally exported it to get the format correct).

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Jenny
Jenny Bailey
Discover IT (UK) Ltd
www.discoverit.co.uk
Funni
#18 Posted : Saturday, January 27, 2007 4:03:19 PM(UTC)
Funni

I have downloaded the latest import/update tool and have one problem. I can't import a SKU with "-" in the part number.
Example WH18-00-100 will not go. I get an error message.
If I change it to WH1800100 it will load fine.
Craig
hyper
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 28, 2007 1:06:14 PM(UTC)
hyper

I have unfortunately experienced the same fate as jbailey when trying to update several category fields. I have 360 categories that are now in a new order and I am unable to use the manual sort command (as painful as that will be) to move the categories back into the correct order.

I limited the file update to the following fields: Bvin, ParentId, Name, ShowInTopMenu, SourceType, TemplateName and MetaTitle. Everything updated okay except now the categories are all in different orders and the manual sort capability does not work in the admin menu.

Also, I have found that the product update does not work correctly for the categories field. Even if you place "empty" in the categories field it will not delete the existing category value. If you place a new category Bvin value in the field it adds it to the categories value.

If you have a large amount of categories or products in your store, be very careful with this tool when making updates. Export works great, but import/update requires extreme caution.
GG
#20 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2007 9:27:57 AM(UTC)
GG

The export part does not export categories for a product when exporting products... Is there an updated version for this. I have about 10,000 products I am trying to move for a client and this seemed to be the easiest way at first.
4 Pages123>>>