• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

daniel
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2008 6:28:37 PM(UTC)
daniel

A question to anyone who has come across this:

Am I able to use the same SSL certificate from BV4 for BV5? will there be a conflict? If so where would I get a SSL for BV5?

Thanks to anyone with knowledge or a suggestion for this.

Dan

***okay did some research on the SSL certificates...i know where to get them and from who and the costs; however does anyone know of a free SSL certificate that I can use just to test the SSL for BV5 (no trial version reccomendations unless that's all there is)?

thanks for any help with this,

Dan
Chris Dittmeier
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2008 11:59:44 AM(UTC)
Chris Dittmeier

The SSL cert is for the domain name, not the cart software. You can use the same one from a BVC2004 site when you upgrade it to BVC5 as long as you don't change the domain name. I'm not aware of a trial cert.
Chris
Sirius Programming

www.siriusprogramming.com
daniel
#3 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 3:49:06 PM(UTC)
daniel

Originally Posted by: "Chris Dittmeier" Go to Quoted Post

The SSL cert is for the domain name, not the cart software. You can use the same one from a BVC2004 site when you upgrade it to BVC5 as long as you don't change the domain name. I'm not aware of a trial cert.

Chris,

Thanks very much for this answer. I appreciate it very much and it does answer my question and help me to understand much better than before about SSL.

thanks,

Dan
daniel
#4 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 3:58:51 PM(UTC)
daniel

Originally Posted by: "Chris Dittmeier" Go to Quoted Post

Chris,

If time permits in your schedule, would you be able to clarify this question on the forum (see link below) that no one has answered:

http://forums.bvcommerce.com/default.aspx?f=89&m=54204

i ask you because you seem to give clear and concise answers to my questions and others regarding technical questions.

thank you once again.

Dan
Noah
#5 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2008 10:48:35 AM(UTC)
Noah

Dan,

An SSL certificate will work for the domain or "host record" for the domain that it was purchased for for the life of the certificate.

It can be moved between servers (same type of server, ie. Windows, or Apache, etc.) It's domain specific not page or application specific.

You generally get a certificate for the www. (the host record) record. You can get what is called a wildcard certificate (about 10 times the cost) that will take any host record inside your domain.

A couple of examples,

A standard "host record" certificate,
"www".yourdomain.com

This will enable https connections to www.yourdomain.com. The pages can be simple html, asp, aspx etc., it doesn't matter. It can be a BVC2, BVC2004, BVC5 site etc., it doesn't matter what the page is, it only matters what the domain is.

A wildcard SSL certificate,

www.
ftp.
mail.
shop.
store.
forum.

etc. etc. etc. Basically any host record for your domain. Your forum can be on a server in our Somerville facility, your FTP can be in the Manchester facility, and your www in our Bedford facility, the same wildcard certificate will work on all three servers at the same time.

Hope that helps.
Noah
daniel
#6 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2008 1:40:02 PM(UTC)
daniel

Originally Posted by: "Noah" Go to Quoted Post

Dan,

An SSL certificate will work for the domain or "host record" for the domain that it was purchased for for the life of the certificate.

It can be moved between servers (same type of server, ie. Windows, or Apache, etc.) It's domain specific not page or application specific.

You generally get a certificate for the www. (the host record) record. You can get what is called a wildcard certificate (about 10 times the cost) that will take any host record inside your domain.

A couple of examples,

A standard "host record" certificate,
"www".yourdomain.com

This will enable https connections to www.yourdomain.com. The pages can be simple html, asp, aspx etc., it doesn't matter. It can be a BVC2, BVC2004, BVC5 site etc., it doesn't matter what the page is, it only matters what the domain is.

A wildcard SSL certificate,

www.
ftp.
mail.
shop.
store.
forum.

etc. etc. etc. Basically any host record for your domain. Your forum can be on a server in our Somerville facility, your FTP can be in the Manchester facility, and your www in our Bedford facility, the same wildcard certificate will work on all three servers at the same time.

Hope that helps.

Noah,
thank you very much, that was a further and in depth amount of knowledge about SSL that I did not know before.
I appreciate that very much and am grateful for your time and example. It has helped me greatly.
However, just one more question, Is there some sort of free version of a standard or wildcard SSL just for testing purposes? Just curios about that.
Thanks again,
Dan.