• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

TKatch
#1 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 3:54:15 PM(UTC)
TKatch

I just set up a ShipStation account and connected to my BV site based on the blog instruction. Any idea why I'm getting this error as ShipStation tries to update the store?
TKatch attached the following image(s):
error.gif (146kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Aaron
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 9:42:08 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
We've seen this before. Unfortunately Shipstation's error message isn't always correct, meaning it could be a different field than the Country (e.g. State). In all cases, though, there was an order with some or all of the fields in the billing or shipping address that were blank. If you open a support ticket with Shipstation they will be able to tell you which order is causing the problem so you can correct it.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
TKatch
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 12:45:21 PM(UTC)
TKatch

I submitted a ticket with ShipStation and they have put it back on BV to figure it out. Here is what they say:

I took a look at your account and it does look like you have a Custom Store integration set up in your ShipStation account. This means that the integration and its parameters were built so that you can integrate it into ShipStation. We usually do not have much insight as to what you have to change or the limitations. However, it looks like in this case, the error we are getting is pretty self-explanatory.
In ShipStation, we do require a two-letter abbreviation for the country and the state codes that come in. In your case, it looks like the country codes are not coming in as two-letter abbreviations which are breaking the feed and causing you to see this error.
I would make sure that those are coming in as two-letter abbreviations by consulting with the team who built this custom store integration for you.

I don't think it's possible to have an order with a missing country code in BV, and so I would assume that it's trying to pull the country from the wrong location.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 2, 2018 12:53:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added comment

Aaron
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:28:13 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

It's almost certainly bad data. The problem is that their error message doesn't tell us which order number is causing the problem, so there's nothing that you can do. They need to inspect the XML response that they're getting and tell you what order is causing the problem. And, as I said, this same error message is used for fields other than the Country, so we can't trust that is where the problem lies (and we also don't know if it's billing or shipping address). Depending how you configured your order status mapping, ShipStation could be pulling some very old orders. One of the cases we saw was an old orders (years old) was updated which caused it to be pulled in to ShipStation. If it would help. you can CC our support email address (support@) on the support ticket.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
TKatch
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 5:19:53 PM(UTC)
TKatch

ShipStation is being hands-off with this issue and continually throwing in back in our court to figure out. ShipStation is still considered a BV Partner, right? Maybe they are more of an acquaintance than a partner, ha ha?

Here is what I have set up for statuses (attached). I'm open to suggestions. Also, I noticed that BV Commerce statuses are called different things in different locations. For instance, Pending Payment is also called Unpaid. I tried to cover all bases when mapping statuses in ShipStation.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 2, 2018 5:44:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added statuses screen shot attachment

TKatch attached the following image(s):
Statuses.gif (24kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Aaron
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 11:42:27 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Originally Posted by: TKatch Go to Quoted Post
ShipStation is being hands-off with this issue and continually throwing in back in our court to figure out. ShipStation is still considered a BV Partner, right? Maybe they are more of an acquaintance than a partner, ha ha?

I reached out to partner support and updated your support ticket with the information that they provided. That should get you going.

Also, I noticed that BV Commerce statuses are called different things in different locations. For instance, Pending Payment is also called Unpaid.

The ShipStation integration only uses the BVC order status (the overall status of the order); BVC also has payment and shipping statuses.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
TKatch
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 4:37:05 PM(UTC)
TKatch

Update: I changed my ShipStation Statuses mapping to exactly what is shown in the BVC Blog directions. Then I actually deleted the orders that ShipStation said were causing the problem, and still getting the error. But now if I filter orders by Unshipped I'm finding a ton of other orders with missing States as well as very old orders listed as Unshipped when they should be Shipped - too many to change manually. Actually, all orders from 2007 and older are coming up with missing 2-digit States. Is there a way to batch archive these?

Edited by user Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:26:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added info

Aaron
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 3:48:16 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

But now if I filter orders by Unshipped I'm finding a ton of other orders with missing States as well as very old orders listed as Unshipped when they should be Shipped - too many to change manually. Actually, all orders from 2007 and older are coming up with missing 2-digit States. Is there a way to batch archive these?

You would need to write SQL queries to do this.

To get around the bad data we temporarily modified BVC's ShipStation export to only pull orders that have been placed after 12/1/2017. This bypassed the old order data and allowed the the initial data to be imported into ShipStation. Going forward ShipStation will only pull in orders that were last modified after the last successful import.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
 1 user thanked Aaron for this useful post.
TKatch
#9 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 9:18:40 AM(UTC)
TKatch

So this error with Ship Station is occurring again. Isn't there a way to permanently fix this bad State Field data in BV so that Ship Station will function properly?
Aaron
#10 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 2:56:31 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Have you figured out how your old order data is being modified (which is what is causing it to be sent to ShipStation)?

If not, you would probably need to write some kind of automated data cleanup script to go through your old orders.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
TKatch
#11 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 5:48:22 PM(UTC)
TKatch

I suspect that I made some changes to the Shipping methods, such as USPS Priority Mail, and that the modification is being pulled into ALL orders. Then SS reads the order as "modified" and tries to import them. And I suspect that SS is trying to bring in ALL old orders again since we surely are not going back by hand and modifying orders from 10+ years ago.

When I view older orders in Admin, I can see the State field as the full State name (eg. California). When I click "Edit" to edit the State field, the State field is actually empty. I would expect it to be empty, I suppose, since the full name does not exist any longer in the drop-down menu.

I'm looking for a permanent fix to this problem and I hope that between BV and SS, you guys can find it. If it's an SS issue, that it should not be updating old orders from a specified time period, then maybe SS fixes that since it is a needed system improvement. If there is residual State field information that needs cleaning up (eg. changing California to CA), then I would prefer BV fix this holistically, as a bug fix.
Aaron
#12 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 8:27:54 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

I suspect that I made some changes to the Shipping methods, such as USPS Priority Mail, and that the modification is being pulled into ALL orders.

Editing shipping method settings in the admin does not modify orders.

When I view older orders in Admin, I can see the State field as the full State name (eg. California). When I click "Edit" to edit the State field, the State field is actually empty. I would expect it to be empty, I suppose, since the full name does not exist any longer in the drop-down menu.

This is due to incomplete data in the address. Normally there is both the state/region name and abbreviation. In this case one of those pieces of data is missing.

I'm looking for a permanent fix to this problem and I hope that between BV and SS, you guys can find it. If it's an SS issue, that it should not be updating old orders from a specified time period, then maybe SS fixes that since it is a needed system improvement.

This is neither a BVC or ShipStation problem. Something, or someone, on your end is causing the last updated date of old orders to change which is why these orders are being sent to ShipStation. If it's not a person, then it's custom code, an integration, or something else that directly talks to your database.

Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
TKatch
#13 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 12:39:21 PM(UTC)
TKatch

So I was looking into writing a SQL script to fix the bad (or missing) data in the STATE field for old, old orders. If I look at a test case (eg. Order 605) in the dbo.bvc_Order table of the database, it shows the correct two-letter state (eg. FL) even though it is missing from the STATE field on that particular order on the website edit page. I'm not sure I understand how the field on the website can be blank but the database be populated correctly. Any insight?
Aaron
#14 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 1:27:16 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

RegionBvin needs to be populated as well.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
TKatch
#15 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 2:22:29 PM(UTC)
TKatch

Ah, okay. So RegionBvin values for orders up until Sept 1, 2007 are between 1 and about 50. I assume that represents the states some how. After this date the RegionBvin has a long character string for the values. Could I not just write a script to replace the old 1-50 characters with the value that is in the Region field for all orders before this date?
Aaron
#16 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 4:18:23 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Ah, okay. So RegionBvin values for orders up until Sept 1, 2007 are between 1 and about 50.

That sounds like data migrated from BVC 2004.

I assume that represents the states some how. After this date the RegionBvin has a long character string for the values.

Yes, this corresponds to the key field ("bvin") of the bvc_Region table.

Could I not just write a script to replace the old 1-50 characters with the value that is in the Region field for all orders before this date?

It's possible. Doing this via SQL will not be trivial; your other option is to script it in .NET.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
TKatch
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2019 3:46:57 PM(UTC)
TKatch

So I had sampled a few of my older orders as test cases for writing the script to insert the missing State/Region field. It appears that simply opening these specific orders in the Admin and clicking Edit to confirm the missing data triggers Ship Station to try to import that order again. Nothing actually gets edited, but apparently Ship Station views it as being edited or changed. That causes Ship Station to lock up again and not import orders, and of course not tell us why until we ask Ship Station to send us the error with list of order numbers affecting it.
Aaron
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2019 12:28:52 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

When you go to the Edit Order page the LastUpdatedDate on the order is updated which is what causes it to be pulled into ShipStation. However, since you're there, you should be able to correct the state data by either specifying the correct state (if one isn't selected) or by clicking the Save/Update button.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
TKatch
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:36:47 PM(UTC)
TKatch

Yes, I can go ahead and edit it. However it's more difficult that it would seem. Change the State in Shipping and Billing fields. Save. It's an old shipping method so I have to choose a new shipping method. I have to remember the old shipping cost because that is different, too. Save. The product is then updated to the current product price so it throws off the balance. I better have written down the item cost to type it in. Save.
Jamesmartin45
#20 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2021 2:26:48 AM(UTC)

Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: Not specified