• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
bvtester
#21 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2005 12:46:38 PM(UTC)
bvtester

hi, surely Cliff the whole point is that as you say there are two different types of links, both aspx and htm but they will have the same content as each other - that has got to be duplicated content imo,

I only add this comment here because I have had my own site go supplemental through messing up with duplicate content and I know for a fact that it really can screw up a website - all duplicate pages go to the supplemental index and are there basically forever.

There are so many competing sites now for google to index nowadays that they will happliy penalize a website and move on - they are really not that bothered about upsetting small fry - stay 100% right is the motto.

Perhaps a 301 or a 302 redirect would help in this case..
Noah
#22 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2005 1:47:21 PM(UTC)
Noah

I won't go into specifics here but man... you can lead a horse to water.......

We have BV sites using it with look-ups in the millions with top ten results. Feel free to contact me by phone and I'll provide ample proof.

We eat sleep and breath this stuff. I will repost my answer from above and leave it at that.

"unless you reinstall this several times with different settings (creating another set of links) you will have only benefits from using it"

Aside from being tested, used, abused etc etc etc... I don't know what to say.

Signing out on this thread.
Noah
Avecom
#23 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2005 1:47:26 PM(UTC)
Avecom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The robots.txt file that Cliff mentioned comes with SmartURL installation files.
Cliff
#24 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2005 4:03:48 PM(UTC)
Cliff

I meant that one type is static and linked internally the other is dynamic and not linked internally, so duplicate content on those types of links haven't been an issue. The sites that I've worked with that sport this add-on installed have only benefited and have not been penalized, sand-boxed or punished or whatever.

I don't think a redirect is the right direction to go in at all. You run the risk of breaking the back button or a search engine penalizing you for a site full of redirects. If you don't want the search engines to crawl your old links (which are no longer linked within the application itself, though they will still work if people have linked to them or bookmarked them) just use the included robots.txt.
ModernBath
#25 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2005 10:28:24 PM(UTC)
ModernBath

We use this addon currently on our site and love its application. My only minor problem is that it creates a numerical output for category names which hurts some flexability but overall its definetely an A add-on.

As far as duplicate content "penalty" discussion. Duplicate content is not a penalty, it is a filter placed on similar content. Since each web page has a unique individual authority, when multiple pages of similar content occupy the same search space, only the content from the highest authority page is displayed in the rankings. Most discussion of the term "penalty" fails to understand one of the basic fundamental concepts of the web is the mass publishing and distribution of content. If there was such a penalty, how could AP news articles ever get published on mutiple web sites and not "penalize" the publisher? Matt Cutts from Google has done ample amounts of work explaining this concept.

Overall, while I agree that dynamic pages are now indexed regularly by google, any sort of url rewrite to html and keyword rich urls will do nothing but help your site search rankings. Great job Aram.

Hank Azarian
Director, SEO Services
The Search Agency
lcasey
#26 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:03:02 PM(UTC)
lcasey

SmartURL works great!

Does anyone have a script to rewrite the IIS logs, replacing the querystring with the SmartURL page?

Or am I missing something?

I tried to contact Aram, but his mail server seems to be down.

Thanks,

Linette
kwallenbeck
#27 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:38:22 PM(UTC)
kwallenbeck

It wasn't my intention to 'open a rats nest with the whole duplicate content comment I made above. It was only to restate the fact that Aram said earlier in the post about updating any static links you have that use the 'dynamic' links (that bv has by default).

The duplicate content issue is real and should be avoided if possible. Which url would you rather have ranked, the standard bv one or the keyword rich one. And who is to say the SmartURL one would be the higher ranked one.

Point is ... just update the links:) You'll do better for it.
Cliff
#28 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:23:23 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Heheh, no rat's nest, no worries. You bring up good points. My comments were simply in defense of the product; the add-on shouldn't be dismissed based on the duplicate content issue.

The whole point to this add-on is contextual linking, so there is absolutely no argument that if you have static links you've created in your site you should update them to refer to the new contextual URLs. The rest of the links in BV will be updated by the add-on. :)
Noah
#29 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2006 11:06:10 PM(UTC)
Noah

Kevin, it just isn't an issue.

You said "Which url would you rather have ranked, the standard bv one or the keyword rich one"

For me it's the one that ranks better. You will find that each one will rank differently in different situations.

KEEP both. I have no idea the type of performanc you are used to achieving but I know full well what we have. Do you have any top 10 links on look-ups with over 200 Million returns? 20 Million returns? We do. And not just one or two but tons and tons of them.

Run your store the way you see fit. For others reading this whole thread DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE ADDITIONAL SET OF LINKS. You will benefit from them, we have seen it many many times.
Noah
2 Pages<12