• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
avmwebguy
#21 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:12:13 AM(UTC)
avmwebguy

As Matt asked, how would you handle Price Groups if the user didn't have an account.

We are mainly a wholesale website, and use a LOT of price groups depending on how much volume the customer does.
- Brian

Web Developer/IT Manager
Marcus
#22 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 8:12:18 PM(UTC)
Marcus

Price groups would require user accounts of some kind as would many other features. This discussion has been interesting. I'm leaning towards automatically creating an account with a random password upon purchase if the email address is unknown. On the receipt page the customer would have the option to set a new password. They would also receive an email with their auto-created password if they do not create one on the receipt page. I think that would cover almost every scenario but still reduce the checkout "burden" of creating an account.
Chris Dittmeier
#23 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:57:01 AM(UTC)
Chris Dittmeier

Originally Posted by: "Marcus" Go to Quoted Post

Price groups would require user accounts of some kind as would many other features. This discussion has been interesting. I'm leaning towards automatically creating an account with a random password upon purchase[color=red>] On the receipt page the customer would have the option to set a new password. <FONT color=red>They would also receive an email[/color] with their auto-created password if they do not create one on the receipt page. I think that would cover almost every scenario but still reduce the checkout "burden" of creating an account.

I'm confused as to how you would send an email if the email address is unknown.
Chris
Sirius Programming

www.siriusprogramming.com
Marcus
#24 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:27:08 PM(UTC)
Marcus

If the customer enters and email address that is already an account, prompt for a password. If the customer enters and email address that isn't already an account, create one and send them an email with their password.
Andy Miller
#25 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2009 12:27:00 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: "Marcus" Go to Quoted Post
If the customer enters and email address that is already an account, prompt for a password. If the customer enters and email address that isn't already an account, create one and send them an email with their password.

I've been wondering about this a bit for my site (I currently use the logic you just described).

Why force existing customers to login? If they enter an email address, I can search for an existing account and discounts that might apply to that account. If an account exists, but no discount applies, then I'm thinking of just attaching the new order to the existing account and send them the receipt (and possibly the password again).

The risk is that customer B accidentally entered the email address for customer A. So A gets both the receipt and the order confirmation. But that's also a danger the first time through. I have not increased the danger or risk...although I guess it gets more likely to make a typo error each time you place an order. For example, if customer B places 100 orders on 100 different days, it is probably getting likely there will be a typo in the email address if they never login. To avoid typos, I'm thinking of asking for the email address twice.

If there is a discount, I can display a message and then suggest they login. But they may decline (perhaps their time is worth more than the discount). In that case, I'll proceed as above...attach the order to the existing account that I found and go.

Am I missing something?
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
Marcus
#26 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2009 12:14:57 PM(UTC)
Marcus

Andy,

Good thoughts. I'm thinking that using an AJAX call you can check to see if they have an account right after they enter the email.

One reason to ask them to login would be to gain access to their address book and, as you suggested, discounts.
Andy Miller
#27 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2009 1:14:05 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
From the repeat customer's perspective, picking an address from a list may be worth the annoyance of login. So it makes sense to offer a login option. And I should not expose the address book without login, otherwise malicious people will enter random email addresses to discover mailing addresses and phone numbers.

However, I think I could offer discounts without logging in. In my business (downloads only), the worst thing that would happen is that someone will hunt around for an email that has a good discount attached. If they find one, they know that email address represents a customer, and they get a discount.

Although they now know the email address represents a customer, they don't know the name, phone number, etc. And it took quite a bit of work to find it (limiting the number of times it will happen). And if they use the email address to place the order, then they will end up sending their complete contact information to the email address (via the order confirmation). So they end up giving away much more information than they get.

And giving a discount to an anonymous customer does not bother me. In real life, that happens now at the grocery store. And if I forget my loyalty card or want to remain anonymous, the cashier will often use their own (Albertsons) or offer to give me an anonymous card (Safeway). The cashier may get credit for the sale (and perhaps some additional discount down the road), and I get the discount on the sale today. Everybody is happy.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
Aaron
#28 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 4:51:20 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Marcus,

I like what you're suggesting. We've had similar thoughts here but never actually developed anything.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
Aaron
#29 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 5:03:07 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
On a related note, do you have any ideas for dealing with duplicate accounts? The typical scenario is a customer that changes his email address and forgets his password. That customer cannot reset their password since their email address changed. This forces them to create another account, causing them to loose their address book and order history. For merchants that have a back end accounting system where tracking customers is important, duplicate accounts are a nightmare. Providing a way for merchants to merge duplicate accounts would be great.

A possible way to reduce duplicate accounts is to provide another way for a customer to reset their password and change their email address; this is often achieved by asking "secret questions" of the customer. The problem with this in light of our conversation is that the customer would have to enter the answers to these questions, providing a greater barrier to account creation. Perhaps you could ask a series of questions based on their order history and address book. For example, require the customer to enter their full name, the street number of their billing address, and a valid order number . I'm not sure that this would be secure enough, however.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
bvsupport
#30 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:39:21 PM(UTC)
bvsupport

Just make User Accounts an optional module that can be added to the store if needed. Of course how this would actually work requires some imagination.
BV Software Support - Kaleo
2 Pages<12