• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

jhonrath
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2006 12:06:29 AM(UTC)
jhonrath

I have a customer that is a Festival and this year I implemented a new website for them.

They used a horrible ticketing service this year, but sold 28,000 tickets during the Festival. They asked me to write an online ticketing system by next year, including 2 terminals (can be web, but folks will show up there) as well as online sales.

I was thinking of either writing from scratch, or using BVC as a base.

I'm not worried about having my own 'software' per se, since i'm really providing a service, which is the ticket printing, reporting i'd have to create, and hosting.

But, alot of these festivals are non-profit. And, asking them to pay 1000 setup fee may be alot.

So, my question is, with BVC, if I was selling tickets for multiple festivals, from one interface, would I need multiple licenses, or simply one?

I would most likely have 2 dedicated servers. One for web, and one for SQL.

Any ideas or comments appreciated.
Marcus
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:28:37 AM(UTC)
Marcus

If you have one web site which is one application then you only need one license. As long as you are not reselling the ability for other people to login and create their own events you should be fine.
jhonrath
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:37:40 AM(UTC)
jhonrath

Ok, thanks. But, what if i'm letting my client log in to view reports?

I mean, at first there is only one client. But, eventually there will be many. And, again i'm not sure if i will try to use the affiliate system, or maybe modify the admin so they each have their own.

I'm simply asking if this goes against the license.

As a software developer myself, i know all of this is different by license terms per application, and everyone has different terms.

I'm assuming that i will eventually have to 'roll my own' but in the meantime, i'd love to get my first few clients on BVC, even if that means me purchasing each of them a license.

But, we shall see.

And, how would the branding work, per license. My service will be called festTix, but will it have to be festTix / powered by BVCommerce.

Anyway, we'll see. Maybe I could do one, and if it begins taking off we can talk about a 'hosting' type of license or something.

I have implemented, for clients, BVC4 before..... we have one running at www.ebnservices.com and it's pretty nice.

I've modified a few things programatically for him, and figured out how to add custom pages to the left menu!

Anyway, my rollout date for the Festival is not until August 2007, so I am in the preliminary 'Build vs Buy' Stages currently.

Atually, it's more complicated. There are other parts.

My front end for the website is being migrated to Sitefinity. This is a web CMS. I am ALSO having a custom applications / form engine built. Meaning, the festival can accept applications from volunteers, Artists, potential Staff members, etc.
I was HOPING to biuld the Forms Admin and Reporting into the back of BVC5. So, essentially, the backend of www.sitefinity.com would be their CMS backend / workflow admin, and the backend of BVC5 would be their single login for their data administration.

I hope this clarify's a bit why i'm wondering how the licensing will work!

THANKS
Noah
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2006 5:04:58 PM(UTC)
Noah

One site, one DB - 1 license.

Two sites, one DB - 2 licenses.

2 DB's (BV) one site - 2 licenses.

Branding, the only place you are required to keep the BV copyright is in the admin pages and anywhere it appears in the code. Nothing in the store front-end (what shoppers see in a browser) need any mention of BV.
Noah