• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Stealthauto
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2008 10:59:31 PM(UTC)
Stealthauto

It seems that no matter what I do I cannot get my HTML code in the LonDescription field to import without adding borders to the tables.

Here are the steps I did:

1) Made a simple HTML template in Dreamweaver as follows:

<table width="650" border="0"> <tr> <td><strong><span class="style1">Product Description</span>

</strong></td> </tr> <tr> <td><table width="550" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="5">
<tr> <td><p>Here is the product description.Here is the product description.Here is the product description.Here is the product description.Here is the product description.Here is the product description.Here is the product description.Here is the product description.Here is the product description.</p> <p>Here is the product description.Here is the product description.Here is the product description.Here is the product description.Here is the product description.Here is the product description.

</p></td> </tr> </table></td> </tr> <tr> <td><strong><span class="style1">Key Features</span>

</strong></td> </tr> <tr> <td><table width="550" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="5">
<tr> <td><p>- Looks great

- OEM Fitment

- Lifetime Guarantee

</p> </td> </tr> </table></td> </tr> <tr> <td><strong><span class="style1">Product Fitment Details
</span>
<tr> <td>- BMW

- Mercedes

- Ford</td>
</tr> </table></td> </tr> </table>

2) Pasted this into the Long Description Field in the "Edit Product" page of my site.
3) Exported with the Export Tool 1.2.0.0
4) Re-import EXACT SAME product with Import tool

Result: I get this page here: http://www.stealthauto.c...ts/NEWSKU1__NEWSKU1.aspx

Note the unnecessary " mark and the borders around the tables.
I have tried adding code including border="0" and cellspacing="0" and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Any help will be AWESOME, I have spent HOURS AND HOURS trying to figure this out.

Thanks!
MitchA
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 6:49:22 AM(UTC)
MitchA

I don't know Dreamweaver, perhaps the code is not as clean as you think??? ... have you tried saving the code in Notepad then importing? In 'design view' on the product edit page, do you see the borders? If not, there may be something in your CSS.

Been looking... Any 'better than factory' headlights available for a 2005 Town and Country - y'know.... minivan???? (I think I know the answer)
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Stealthauto
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:13:37 PM(UTC)
Stealthauto

I think you may be right about the CSS issue, but I have no idea how to change it. Can you give me any tips?

Also, what is the "Design View" you are talking about? Do you mena when you click "View in store"

Here is the products in question:

http://www.stealthauto.c...ts/NEWSKU1__NEWSKU1.aspx

Thanks for the help!
MitchA
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2008 11:52:55 AM(UTC)
MitchA

No, 'design' view in the long description edit box, the tab on the bottom left.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Cliff
#5 Posted : Monday, July 7, 2008 3:31:00 AM(UTC)
Cliff

It isn't a CSS issue, and probably isn't an admin textarea or WYSIWYG bug. I'm seeing things like double quoting in your code -- i.e., "<table width=""650"" border=""0""> so it's definitely an issue with the HTML syntax being rendered onto the page, and it could be related to an issue in the importer that wraps everything in quotes. Looks like you're using BV Signature, which I'm not familiar with, so it's difficult to tell exactly from here. Check to see if there's a way to turn those quotes off and contact BV support, if not.

On a higher level, you're much, much better off not using tables for what you're doing. Headings and paragraphs/lists would be the correct method.
Stealthauto
#6 Posted : Monday, July 7, 2008 1:49:36 PM(UTC)
Stealthauto

Cliff-

Any way you can help me out with a BASIC version of this code without the tables? I am no HTML pro and just need something really simple to use for every product.

Thanks!
Matt@9BallDesign
#7 Posted : Monday, July 7, 2008 2:03:22 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

a quick solution, as I've had to tap Resposio to do this for me, is to run a SQL find &amp; Replace in the Long Description field. I'd ask your host to do this, backup before you do it!

Find: ""

Replace with: "

I cannot pinpoint what causes it but it's happened to me several times running an export/import via Excel. The HTML code is clean in the excel but it's imported with the double quotes. I'll run the import and then tap Reposio right after with the F&amp;R request.
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative &amp; Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
Cliff
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2008 1:26:02 AM(UTC)
Cliff

Originally Posted by: "Stealthauto" Go to Quoted Post
Cliff-

Any way you can help me out with a BASIC version of this code without the tables? I am no HTML pro and just need something really simple to use for every product.

Thanks!

Sure, as basic as:

Code:

<h3>Product Description</h3>
<p>Here is the product description.</p>

<h3>Key Features</h3>
<ul>
<li>Looks great</li>
<li>OEM Fitment</li>
<li>Lifetime Guarantee</li>
</ul>

<h3>Product Fitment Details</h3>
<ol>
<li>BMW</li>
<li>Mercedes</li>
<li>Ford</li>
</ol>

This is a much better way to present this information, especially since none of it is tabular data. You're using a lot less code, which decreases the overall bandwidth of your page, and it'll make more sense to your customers and search engines.
Stealthauto
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2008 4:44:41 PM(UTC)
Stealthauto

Cliff-

That HTML worked GREAT! Unfortunately I cant get it to left justify. Can you help me out?

Check it out here:

http://www.stealthauto.c...ts/NEWSKU3__NEWSKU3.aspx

Here is the HTML I tried:

<h3 align="left">Product Description</h3><p align="left">Here is the product description.</p><h3 align="left">Key Features</h3>
<div align="left">
<ul>
<li>Looks great</li>
<li>OEM Fitment</li>
<li>Lifetime Guarantee</li>
</ul>
</div>
<h3 align="left">Product Fitment Details</h3>
<div align="left">
<ol>
<li>BMW</li>
<li>Mercedes</li>
<li>Ford</li>
</ol>
</div>
Cliff
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2008 5:33:43 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Don't use attributes like align="left", it's deprecated in XHTML and your CSS will always override it.

Either way, this isn't an alignment or justification issue. It's actually a floating issue since your product image is too large for it's containing element and is throwing the floats out of order.