• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Cliff
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2007 10:23:04 PM(UTC)
Cliff

The Fresh Start BVC5 theme is about halfway through development. This version will feature a new design and will maintain a strong focus on web standards, browser compatibility, and usability. It also may contain a few surprises.

What I Need:
I'd like to open up the floor for those of you who develop your own BVC5 themes by asking, "What would you like to see?" Feel free to post about anything from layout and other visual preferences to simple details that would make theme development easier for you.

Note:
Not every aspect of BVC5 can be taken into account in this theme due to the unfortunate lack of standardization between the default BVModules. Some basic controls will be included, but I can't touch the rest. Just try to keep that in mind when you post. Also, those of you who have emailed me about what you'd like to see in Fresh Start needn't bother posting here again.

What is Fresh Start?
For those of you who don't know what Fresh Start is, it was originally a free starter theme for BVC 2004 that focused on solid presentation throughout all modern browsers, though development was suspended before the theme could be completely optimized. http://www.freshstartbv.com
Chris Dittmeier
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2007 8:11:42 AM(UTC)
Chris Dittmeier

I think the most helpful aspect of this as a learning tool is to indicate how each CSS element affects what part of the presentation. Good comments in the CSS file can accomplish this. Screen shots in some form of documentation would be nice. The BV2004 version was a good tool. Looking forward to the BVC5 one.

And if you could list what modules are not "standard", maybe Marcus would update those for the next service pack and/or we could all look at them to see what needs to be standardized.
Chris
Sirius Programming

www.siriusprogramming.com
birdsafe
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2007 9:17:16 AM(UTC)
birdsafe

I would like to see a theme were all pages contain the same elements -- i.e., product pages, catalog pages, custom pages, cart.aspx, all contain, for example, content blocks in the left column area. I'm finding it difficult to add those blocks to pages like cart.aspx and custom pages, not being a developer and not being that adept in CSS or master pages.
Outdoor Ed
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2007 6:54:37 PM(UTC)
Outdoor Ed

Cliff, it sounds like a great idea. However, one problem with the proposed features is that BV5 doesn't support Ajax. I am running BV5 as part of a larger site. When I installed Ajax on the site I suddenly started serious errors in BV5 about globalization. I submitted a Support Ticket and was told that Ajax was the problem. The way they've compiled some of the DLL's are not compatible. Until BV issues a fix Ajax is not in the picture.

See http://forums.bvcommerce...46406&g=46416#m46416

As they instructed me I tried leaving Ajax settings in my main Web.config and removed them all in the BV5 Web.config but I still got the error. I think not being compatible with Ajax is a HUGE DRAWBACK for BV5 and hope that it is something that is addressed,

Rick
Cliff
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2007 8:23:27 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Thanks for the input so far.

Chris, the majority of the modules need a lot of work. As often as I've brought attention to the fact, there's only so much I have time for, or can afford to spend time on. It's on my list, though the real problem at this point is that if BV does begin to fix those modules - poof - themes to date no longer work properly. I generally make those changes as needed on a project-by-project basis.

Joe, that's a possibility I'll consider in master pages, except for pages where the individual templates actually decide whether the left column exists, such as product and category pages.

Rick, I assume you mean using ASP.Net's 'AJAX' framework instead of Anthem Ajax? That isn't something that will have anything to do with the theme itself. If there are any speicific javascript/ajax features built into Fresh Start, they will probably be independent of either of those frameworks, since most of the Anthem functionality is in specified in the app's modules.

The goal here isn't to modify BVC5; just to create a solid theme to make building unique presentation layers easier. The rest is up to BV and individual developers.
Andy Miller
#6 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2007 4:36:09 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: "Outdoor Ed" Go to Quoted Post

Cliff, it sounds like a great idea. However, one problem with the proposed features is that BV5 doesn't support Ajax. I am running BV5 as part of a larger site. When I installed Ajax on the site I suddenly started serious errors in BV5 about globalization. I submitted a Support Ticket and was told that Ajax was the problem. The way they've compiled some of the DLL's are not compatible. Until BV issues a fix Ajax is not in the picture.

See http://forums.bvcommerce...6&g=46416#m46416

As they instructed me I tried leaving Ajax settings in my main Web.config and removed them all in the BV5 Web.config but I still got the error. I think not being compatible with Ajax is a HUGE DRAWBACK for BV5 and hope that it is something that is addressed,

Rick
Rick,

Ajax is shorthand for a technology. There are many ways to incorporate Ajax into any web site. BVC5 ships with, and uses, Anthem.NET which is an open source Ajax library for ASP.NET. Microsoft also has an Ajax library called, generically, ASP.NET AJAX. Apparently there is a conflict if you try to use both libraries on the same web site.

Why are you trying to add MS's ASP.NET AJAX library when BVC5 already has Anthem.NET? Is there something in the MS ASP.NET AJAX library that is not available with Anthem.NET?
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
Outdoor Ed
#7 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2007 7:38:06 AM(UTC)
Outdoor Ed

Andy, I use Telerik Controls in other places in my site and want to use their new Prometheus Framework which is a much easier way of 'wiring up' Ajax-related behaviors. It's designed to work with Microsoft's Ajax.

Hope your summer is gong well.

Rick
Taylor
#8 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2007 3:06:30 PM(UTC)
Taylor

I know there's at least a couple places that have different capitalization for this element... and there are probably others out there.

.formlabel in the checkout

and

.FormLabel in the myaccount_ChangePassword.aspx and myaccount_ChangeEmail.aspx

Both ways should be used in the stylesheet or changed on the pages themselves.
BMFResposio
#9 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2007 8:18:18 PM(UTC)
BMFResposio

After conversing with Andy I ran a find and replace on the entire site files and changed any globalization that was present to system.globalization and my test site compiled fine with AJAX. But upon further research I am finding that Anthem can do almost anything that Ajax.net can do, so I am thinking with Anthem already incorporated into BV5, might as well dive in and start using it.

Personally I would like to see a plain white theme with all the css chiseled out, except for browser standard css. IMHO, blank templates are nice to start out with for a new project.
[email protected]
#10 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2007 10:46:01 PM(UTC)
bobn@laurastamm.net

From a none developers point of view, I like seeing the detail. I'm not very good at reading or writing css so I need all the help I can get.

For example using Cliffs TekGear theme as a template, I can poke around in the css and maybe change a color here and there. I am usually overjoyed when it actually works. If I want to change the background in his side nav menu from a light blue to a cream color, I find it is easier to change a hex number on a line that looks like it maybe what I'm looking for. If I had to create the syntax from scratch on something as simple as setting a background color I would probably freak out wondering if it would work where I wanted it to let alone comply with the current standard.

Maybe have 2 versions: One for the novice with everything typed in requiring few changes other then color and images to look good and one for the experienced developers that may be new to DotNet 2.0.

Bob Noble

Oh and thanks again Cliff for TekGear Redux.
CodeSine
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:51:29 PM(UTC)
CodeSine

I can see there be demand for integration of controls that rely on MS Ajax. It might be a good move for an update to BV to include support for MS Ajax without conflicting with Anthem.

Anthem might be great but it's not going to be a requirement like MS Ajax will.
TIM

BVC Add-Ons and Development
Jazzsingh
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2007 10:18:08 AM(UTC)
Jazzsingh

Cliff,

whats the ETA ?

I know you are busy with no sleep.

Thanks

Jazz
Jazz Singh
SEO, Ecommerce, BVSoftware Development, Database Development, SQL Scripts,

www.DesignMarketSEO.com

www.sequent-tech.com
Outdoor Ed
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2007 8:38:22 PM(UTC)
Outdoor Ed

Tim, I agree. Microsoft Ajax will continue to expand as a resource much faster than Anthem will. Also there are already connections between MS Ajax and Silverlight so MS Ajax support is going to be a 'must have' for ASP.NET 2.0 sites in general and BV5 in particular.

Rick
Cliff
#14 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 2:00:28 AM(UTC)
Cliff

Originally Posted by: "Jazz Singh" Go to Quoted Post
Cliff, whats the ETA ?

No ETA yet, just fitting it in where I can. Progress is slow, but it's getting closer.