• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

bigheadrob
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2004 7:25:29 PM(UTC)
bigheadrob

I would like to hear from anyone that uses the Order Export for QuickBooks. Ive tried it and am currently trying to work it into my process. Currently, I use another accounting software so Im not really good with QuickBooks yet but it seems very similar to what I use. I dont invoice most customers. I do get 90% of my orders are via credit card, and 10% are by purchase order (where I ship the order, then email an invoice). So, just wondering who's using Order Exporter and how they like/use it, and if they had to adapt it to their business model and/or process.
rmiller
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2004 10:30:38 PM(UTC)
rmiller

I've been using it for some time now. I have to say it's actually a huge time saver!

I really only have one issue with it, which is probably not an issue for most people. Especially if they are brand new and setting up Quick Books from scratch. In Quick Books you can create categories to manage your items. Order Export does not recognize any items within a category. It only recognizes items in the root (outside of categories). I beleive Marcus said that he would look into this for a future patch. I imagine this wont come out until after most of the SP2 issues have been resolved.

Also, your Product Name in Quick Books needs to be an exact match to what the Product Name or SKU is on the website it is pulling the data from. I beleive Quick Books truncates characters after 31, so if you have any long product names this may be an issue. If you have long product names, you just need to make sure the different characters are recognized in the 1st part of the 31 characters. If I'm not making sense, just let me know ;).

One thing that's nice is that it imports all the order numbers and renames the automated invoice number that Quick Books generates to that of the BV order number. Some may not like this feature, but I think it's great for management.

Another nice feature is it will automatically create new products in Quick Books if they don't exist, but do exist in the store. You can flag the new products with a prefix so it is easy to find.

It would be great if there was a way to tell BV to show all imported orders as being shipped, so I have to click on every individual order to show it has been shipped. I'm sure this isn't a big deal to most users since they probably ship the order quite awhile after they create the invoice. My system is create the order, and then create the invoices...

Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. It's so nice to import 50 orders... walk away from your computer and then within 5 minutes it's done. That's pretty much the most important part of it! A couple of my clients have purchased their licesenses and really love it.

Russ Miller
bigheadrob
#3 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2005 9:43:08 AM(UTC)
bigheadrob

Russ,

I'm still using Peachtree for my accounting. But have been wondering if I should switch to QuickBooks just so I can use the order export. I dont know, just thinking at the moment and trying to decide on what to do.

I drop ship a fair amount of product and stock/ship some. If I were to use quickbooks and do the order export, then when an invoice comes in postal mail to me from the warehouse, how would I use quickbooks at that point (after doing the export from BV using order export software) ? Would I be able to open quickbooks and see that i need to apply the invoice to the order that BV has already put into quickbooks? How does this work?

Also, I bought a copy of quickbooks and have used it before for another company, but its not used very often so I'm not very good with quickbooks (I feel comfy in peachtree though). If I start a brand new company file in quickbooks, is there anything i need to do before I start using the orderexport software for BV ? Are there any accounts that I need to setup and configure before hand, any preliminary work to QB I guess is what I'm wondering if its required. If yes, what type of preliminary work. I mean, you cant just install QB and go to town right?

Thanks for any/all advice you can provide.