• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

jjrjr
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:05:42 PM(UTC)
jjrjr

I'm wondering if there is a setting I can change so that the admin panel doesn't log me out after being inactive for 10min or so.

If anyone knows of a way to stay logged in, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
John
[email protected]
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:13:20 PM(UTC)
bobn@laurastamm.net

I'm not sure, but I think all you have to do is click the remember me check box when you sign in!

If thats not it I know there is a configuration someplace because I never get logged off. I just don't remember where it is.

Bob Noble
jjrjr
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:44:14 PM(UTC)
jjrjr

Thanks for your thought Bob but it I'm not sure that's it.
I'm using BVC5 SP3.1 and there isn't a "remember me" checkbox when I log in...just a white page with a username and pword fields and submit buttons.

I then checked in Options under users and saw that the remember users box was already checked so that can't be it either.

Anyone else know of a way to keep from being logged out of the admin panel?
[email protected]
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:11:59 PM(UTC)
sales@rudystoys.com

Which Browser are you using?
pread
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:02:26 PM(UTC)
pread

I've noticed that my partner never gets logged off. The only difference, that I can think of, is that I am using the original admin account, just renamed. She is a new user that I added to the "New administrator" group. This on a bv5 sp2 site. I haven't looked into this any further that that.

Paul
jjrjr
#6 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 1:48:24 PM(UTC)
jjrjr

Thanks Paul, I'll look into trying a new admin account.

Rudy: I'm using Firefox, but I just tried it in IE and the same thing happened. After maybe 15 min or so of inactivity, when I return to the panel and try to go to another page in the panel it forces me to re-login.

I've tried to attach a screenshot of the login page here just to show that there is no "remember me checkbox"

Anyone else have any tips for me?
John
jjrjr attached the following image(s):
BVC login page.png (4kb) downloaded 90 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Chris Dittmeier
#7 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 1:50:47 PM(UTC)
Chris Dittmeier

Typically, an inactive browser gets logged out around 20 minutes by default. There is a server setting or web.config setting, not a BVC admin setting, that can be adjusted, but I don't think you can do it only for the admin. Too high a setting will keep everybody's browser active, which isn't good. I know this has been discussed before somewhere in this forum, just haven't looked for a reference.
Chris
Sirius Programming

www.siriusprogramming.com
jjrjr
#8 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 2:12:38 PM(UTC)
jjrjr

Thanks Chris.
You're right, I wouldn't want to change my browser settings. But some online accounts leave you logged in while others kick you out. Banks and financial sites tend to log you out after being inactive which makes good sense. But I know my last shopping cart kept me logged in even after a full day of inactivity. I just figured there must be some way to fix BVC to keep an administrator logged in on his work computer.

John
MitchA
#9 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 2:25:45 PM(UTC)
MitchA

johnr1,

You can log in at your sites home page, just like any other user/shopper. There you WILL find the 'remember me' button. I've had my site open and I've been logged in for hours, sitting idle. It may be however that the next activity causes a new log in without me seeing it, because I've been remembered.
I log in by saving an active session in my browser's (IE6) favorites, and using that to get in in the morning. No log-in req'd. Might work for you.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Richard
#10 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 3:50:42 PM(UTC)
Richard

I'm not sure about this, but I do remember when we first upgraded to to Bvc5 from BV2004 that I was always logged on and never was booted off after the 20 minute limit. I then went into admin > options > users > and unchecked the remember user password checkbox. After that I always had to login and was kicked off after 15 - 20 minutes.

Richard
www.somethingmorestore.com
Andy Miller
#11 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 4:06:22 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
As a security precaution, the "Remember Me" feature does not work with the built-in administrator account. It does work with any other administrator account, so if you want to stay logged in...

1. Create a new adminstrator account.
2. Log out of the built-in adminstrator account.
3. Log in to the front of the store using your new administrator account and select Remember Me.

After this, your session will still be dropped after 20 minutes (or for any of the other dozens of reasons that sessions are dropped), but you will automatically be logged back in when you click on something.

Note: This is a pretty high security risk if your workstation is not physically protected.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
MitchA
#12 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 4:48:18 PM(UTC)
MitchA

Andy, that's exactly how I did it - new account. I'm the only one here so an open back door is OK.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Richard
#13 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 8:16:59 PM(UTC)
Richard

Good points Andy. Glad you posted this. As I said I really wasn't sure about why the checkbox was there, I just knew checking it would cause you to stay logged in all the time.

Thanks,

Richard
[email protected]
#14 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2008 1:01:31 AM(UTC)
bobn@laurastamm.net

Thats where I saw it. I knew it was out there somewhere.

My impression was the check box was universal. Everyone (including new admin) that clicks the Remember Me Button stays logged in when the box was checked. The problem is on most web sites the remember me box is checked by default. This means if the customer signs on a public computer and forgets to uncheck the box or anyone gets access to his computer, they are automatically logged into his account as soon as they click on his favorites menu. If the credit card information is encrypted (it is on BV) the customers name, address and phone are about all they can get at (in addition to the customers order history) most of which is available in TPB (The Phone Book).

Like Mitch, I like the convenience of just clicking the button and being logged into our site and access to my computer is limited to only a couple trusted individuals. I also think it can be a useful convenience for some of our computer challenged customers to do the same.

The real risk of compromise is if someone breaks in and steals my computer or my partners lap top. My partner does not use the remember me feature but if he accidentally did... The problem is BV admin has a little feature where you can display the customers Credit Card number --> Big Compromise. If you leave the default settings to a week or two, they will only be able to get at the last week or two's business which is still a compromise, just not as big.

So we use the little routine (I think it was Andy that came up with it) that converts the CC number to all zeros immediately after the customer clicks place order. We feel this reduces our potential for compromise to acceptable levels and still allows us the convenience we enjoy.

Bob Noble