• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

pread
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 4:46:34 PM(UTC)
pread

Hello,

I am running BV2017.

Regarding the weighting on the admin>search page, what would be a good starting place for the search field weightings? Does each field have a range from 1-100 or should the sum of all fields be 1 to 100?

I have 4 products where the product name starts with 'Here and There' that are not returned in the search results even if I type in the exact product name, or just the word 'here' or just the word 'there'. The words 'here' and 'there' are interesting as they never seem to return any results. 'her' and 'ere' returns results, but not the 'Here and There' products.

Thank you for any assistance here.

Paul
Aaron
#2 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 9:56:26 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pread Go to Quoted Post
Regarding the weighting on the admin>search page, what would be a good starting place for the search field weightings? Does each field have a range from 1-100 or should the sum of all fields be 1 to 100?

Just to confirm, you have enabled the "advanced search", right? These settings are only applicable when using it.

The weighting is per field searched. The actual number doesn't matter; what matters is the relative difference between the weights. Meaning, weighting one field with a 1 and another with a 10 would be the same as weighting one field with a 10 and another with 100. In both cases the second field is weighted ten times more than the first field. Using higher numbers just gives you greater granularity in weighting.

Originally Posted by: pread Go to Quoted Post
I have 4 products where the product name starts with 'Here and There' that are not returned in the search results even if I type in the exact product name, or just the word 'here' or just the word 'there'. The words 'here' and 'there' are interesting as they never seem to return any results. 'her' and 'ere' returns results, but not the 'Here and There' products.

The advanced search uses SQL Server full text search. One of the things that it does when making a query is to strip stop words. Both "here" and "there" are default stop words so they are essentially ignored. You can view the default system stop words for English by running this query:

Code:
SELECT * 
FROM sys.fulltext_system_stopwords
WHERE language_id = 1033

To learn more about stop lists and how you can customize, refer to this article:

https://docs.microsoft.c...sts-for-full-text-search
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012