• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

bedek
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 3:02:23 PM(UTC)
bedek

How do I turn off the auto population of the Shipping Choices when the State and or ZIP code is selected. This of course happens during a customers checkout and when creating an order in the admin backend.

We are getting a lot of dropped carts when the customer is either booted out of the cart page or information they think they have typed in correctly is not. This problem happens due to the long delay in calling the real time shipping rates and then displaying them.

Our preference is that there is a button that the customer has to select that reads something like Click to see Shipping options. If the fields for Country, ZIP or State are not first entered then the user is prompted for them when the button is selected.

Its a huge annoyance in the back end when processing a New Order. Going to the phone number field and typing before the shipping options are filled kicks you right out of the order entry screen. You then have to to Reports - Shopping Cart to get back the order screen.

Edited by user Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:35:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Aaron
#2 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 9:32:59 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bedek Go to Quoted Post
How do I turn off the auto population of the Shipping Choices when the State and or ZIP code is selected. This of course happens during a customers checkout and when creating an order in the admin backend.
Our preference is that there is a button that the customer has to select that reads something like Click to see Shipping options. If the fields for Country, ZIP or State are not first entered then the user is prompted for them when the button is selected.

There is no setting to disable this functionality. You would need to alter it.

We are getting a lot of dropped carts when the customer is either booted out of the cart page...

What do you mean by "booted out"? We just had another merchant report this yesterday, and it is the first time (now second) that we've ever heard of this. Any details you can provide would be helpful (e.g. steps to reproduce, browser being used, user logged in or not, etc). Are you getting any error messages or seeing anything in the Audit Log?

...or information they think they have typed in correctly is not.

It sounds like you need to make the 'please wait' messaging larger and more prominent. You could even make it a full-screen overlay so the user can't miss it and is unable to type in any fields until the page updates.

This problem happens due to the long delay in calling the real time shipping rates and then displaying them.

There should not be a long delay unless you are retrieving a lot of real-time rates. Which carriers are you retrieving rates for and how many services for each carrier?

Its a huge annoyance in the back end when processing a New Order. Going to the phone number field and typing before the shipping options are filled kicks you right out of the order entry screen.

What do you mean by "kicks you right out of the order entry screen"? Any details you can provide would be helpful (e.g. steps to reproduce, browser being used, etc). Are you getting any error messages or seeing anything in the Audit Log?
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
Jeff R.
#3 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 11:30:50 AM(UTC)
Jeff R.

We have had similar issues. Trying to discover what is causing these problems is very hard to do. There are two separate issues here that could be connected but I am not sure.

1) We have had calls saying that when the customer tries to go to the cart, it takes them to "Your Shopping Cart is Empty" page even though they added an item or multiple items to the cart. I myself have seen this happen but I haven't been able to make it happen. It just happens randomly. This has happened to both of our websites that are on BV2015.

2) We have had customers call to say that they are trying to press "Place Order" but they don't know if it worked. The main thing I see happening is that it takes too long to finish loading and they get impatient. The load time is probably connected to the shipping rates it is trying to verify but we do not use a shipping program like that. We just have the shipping rate rules provider so that is an unnecessary feature currently. Customer Service Reps complain about the wait time on state and zip code as well.

On a separate note, I have started to realize an increase in phone calls from customers saying that their Paypal order is not going through and when I go look at their cart in Reports > Shopping Carts (One of my personal favorite features) it usually says "Paypal Payment Accepted" a few times in the private notes but the order # is never generated, the cart is left open and the customer never sees any order confirmation.

All in all, there are a few major issues that we can't pinpoint and really makes us wonder how many times this is happening to people that DON'T call us.
Aaron
#4 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 12:25:40 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Originally Posted by: Jeff R. Go to Quoted Post
1) We have had calls saying that when the customer tries to go to the cart, it takes them to "Your Shopping Cart is Empty" page even though they added an item or multiple items to the cart.

The only time we've seen this happen is when a customer is browsing a site no a non-www URL (e.g. example.com) and then when they click to go to the cart or checkout the site redirects them to the 'proper' URL for the site with the www (e.g. www.example.com). The "www" is technically a sub-domain and cookies are tied to a specific domain/sub-domain. Since a cookie is how we match up users with their cart we now no longer know who they are so they start over with a new cart.

The easy fix for this is to enable the redirector and the "redirect to primary domain" feature. This is done by going to Options >> Site Settings >> Redirector in the admin. This really should be enabled anyway for SEO as it will ensure that all traffic on your site goes through the main URL.

2) We have had customers call to say that they are trying to press "Place Order" but they don't know if it worked. The main thing I see happening is that it takes too long to finish loading and they get impatient. The load time is probably connected to the shipping rates it is trying to verify but we do not use a shipping program like that. We just have the shipping rate rules provider so that is an unnecessary feature currently. Customer Service Reps complain about the wait time on state and zip code as well.

Submitting an order shouldn't take very long. How long does it take? Have you timed it?

I looked at your one site and don't see any slowness on the checkout page when entering an address. Since the page is updating when you change the state or zip there will be a delay, but I would not call it slow. Like I mentioned above to Bede, you may want to consider making the 'please wait' message larger, possibly cover the entire screen so the user cannot interact with the form until it goes away.

On a separate note, I have started to realize an increase in phone calls from customers saying that their Paypal order is not going through and when I go look at their cart in Reports > Shopping Carts (One of my personal favorite features) it usually says "Paypal Payment Accepted" a few times in the private notes but the order # is never generated, the cart is left open and the customer never sees any order confirmation.

Are you referring to the private note that says "Paypal Order Accepted With Paypal Order Number: EC-XXXXXXXXXXX"? If so, that is generated when a customer leaves your site to go to PayPal. To complete the order the customer must return to your site to complete the order. If the customer goes back and forth a few times you will see multiples of this message. If there was a problem you should see it in the private notes or possibly in the Audit Log.

Edited by user Monday, May 2, 2016 4:28:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Aaron
#5 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 12:27:14 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

One other thing about PayPal: if you're running the original 2015 release (2015.0.3.961) there is a bug that causes PayPal checkout to fail when using a shipping discount. This was fixed in 2015 SP1.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
bedek
#6 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 12:34:44 PM(UTC)
bedek

Originally Posted by: Aaron Go to Quoted Post

There is no setting to disable this functionality. You would need to alter it.

We are getting a lot of dropped carts when the customer is either booted out of the cart page...

What do you mean by "booted out"? We just had another merchant report this yesterday, and it is the first time (now second) that we've ever heard of this. Any details you can provide would be helpful (e.g. steps to reproduce, browser being used, user logged in or not, etc). Are you getting any error messages or seeing anything in the Audit Log?

Reply ** Booted out. Means dropped out of order entry screen. This happens every time when the State is entered and then Zip is entered or telephone, before the auto fill of real time shipping rates is completed. Aaron you have access to our backend and are welcome to try it.

...or information they think they have typed in correctly is not.

It sounds like you need to make the 'please wait' messaging larger and more prominent. You could even make it a full-screen overlay so the user can't miss it and is unable to type in any fields until the page updates.

Reply **Better as is suggested is a button that the customer has to select when they are ready to see the rates. The time it takes to pop up the Please Wait message is long enough that the user is already on to the next field. These are users that can thumb type sentences in a few seconds and jump from field to field, fast. Not like the old days of hitting a tab key or using a mouse and clicking in the next field.

This problem happens due to the long delay in calling the real time shipping rates and then displaying them.

There should not be a long delay unless you are retrieving a lot of real-time rates. Which carriers are you retrieving rates for and how many services for each carrier?

Reply ** We use USPS and UPS real-time rates, with a lot of volume based calculations.

Its a huge annoyance in the back end when processing a New Order. Going to the phone number field and typing before the shipping options are filled kicks you right out of the order entry screen.

What do you mean by "kicks you right out of the order entry screen"? Any details you can provide would be helpful (e.g. steps to reproduce, browser being used, etc). Are you getting any error messages or seeing anything in the Audit Log?

Edited by user Friday, April 29, 2016 12:35:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jeff R.
#7 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2016 10:37:10 AM(UTC)
Jeff R.

Submitting an order shouldn't take very long. How long does it take? Have you timed it?

I just timed it in Safari on www.UnoClean.com.

It took me 5 seconds to get from the cart page to the checkout page and 11.73 seconds to "Place Order" after I clicked the button. I also didn't see any "Please Wait", I was only able to watch the bar at the top of the browser.
Aaron
#8 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2016 4:38:42 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Booted out. Means dropped out of order entry screen. This happens every time when the State is entered and then Zip is entered or telephone, before the auto fill of real time shipping rates is completed. Aaron you have access to our backend and are welcome to try it.

I wasn't able to reproduce it in Chrome. The worst thing I saw is that the 'please wait' message didn't disappear; editing editing the zip field caused the page to update and hide the message.

What browser are you using?

We use USPS and UPS real-time rates, with a lot of volume based calculations.

Using multiple carriers will slow things down. How many USPS services/methods are you quoting? Each one of those is a separate API call. The UPS rating integration in 2015 SP2 makes a single API call for all services/rates so it's quicker than the rest.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Aaron
#9 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2016 4:43:52 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Submitting an order shouldn't take very long. How long does it take?

I just timed it in Safari on www.UnoClean.com.

It took me 5 seconds to get from the cart page to the checkout page...

That seems within the realm of 'normal' depending on the number of real-time rates.

...and 11.73 seconds to "Place Order" after I clicked the button.

That seems really slow. Do you have any custom workflow steps or customizations to the checkout or receipt pages?

I also didn't see any "Please Wait", I was only able to watch the bar at the top of the browser.

I see the 'please wait' message on your checkout page when entering my address.

You won't see it when you click the "Place Order" button since you're going to another page. Something you could do when clicked is disable the button (so it can't be clicked twice...which can sometimes cause problems) and/or replace the button image with a grayed-out one.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
bedek
#10 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2016 2:40:26 PM(UTC)
bedek

I do understand how shipping works, why it is done the way, that it is the way that it is designed to work. We can have a long dialog about browsers, that do work or might work now, but not later as "pop ups" are a problematic and seem to change with each browser release, real time shipping rate load times, how many rates are to be displayed, website performance etc etc etc.

The bottom line is that the way it works now, we are loosing sales. My guess is that others are as well.

When we look at the incomplete carts there are a large number that have all the information filled, but the phone number is missing.

Putting the phone number in is the next step after the customer has filled in State and ZIP. It is at that point that the software polls the real time ship rates. When that happens the customer user interaction changes. A "Please Wait " screen pops up ( or not ) unexpectedly and without explanation. Maybe their reaction is too paranoid, but some bail.

The other thing that we know happens is that the customer thinks that they have typed in the phone number but it is not. Simply because that is stopped from happening, due to the "please wait" popup and the temporary freezing of input. They continue on to the end of the page ( not seeing that the phone number is not actually filled in ) and hit process order. Of course that fails as the phone number is missing. Their thought, "I entered that info, this web site is making me nervous" They bail. Or they take the time to hunt around to find what the error is and start messing with creating an account, which causes more issues. etc etc. Still a lost sale as few call to say they have gotten stuck trying to complete an order.

The original question still holds. How do I turn off the auto populate the shipping rates. Instead put in a button that puts that function ("Click here to see shipping options") back into the hands of the customer. If there was a button all these issues would go away.

Edited by user Friday, May 6, 2016 4:26:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Aaron
#11 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2016 8:36:39 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Putting the phone number in is the next step after the customer has filled in State and ZIP. It is at that point that the software polls the real time ship rates.

If you're tabbing through the fields the phone number actually comes before the address information. Also, in the responsive version of the checkout, in addition to the phone number being before the address in tab order it is also positioned before the address.

The original question still holds. How do I turn off the auto populate the shipping rates. Instead put in a button that puts that function ("Click here to see shipping options") back into the hands of the customer. If there was a button all these issues would go away.

As I said, there is no setting to disable this functionality. You would need to alter it.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Jeff R.
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:44:18 AM(UTC)
Jeff R.

If you're tabbing through the fields the phone number actually comes before the address information. Also, in the responsive version of the checkout, in addition to the phone number being before the address in tab order it is also positioned before the address.

Aaron, on the front end the phone number comes first. On the back end the number comes second. The front end doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as the back end but is still a problem. Taking a phone order and putting it in on the back end from a customer service perspective is not smooth at all.

It seems to be a basic function that you can tab to the state field and then hit the first letter of the state abbreviation to select a state. If you want IL and you press I it'll take you to the I's but you then need to hit I again to get past IA. At this point it becomes a problem. Please try it for yourself. Every single one of our customer service representatives complains about the BV Admin checkout. BV5 did not have problems such as this.

Once you get the state you want, let it load the shipping rates that don't exist and you finally get your zip code and let it load the shipping rates that don't exist, it is then that the phone number field comes into play.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:45:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Aaron
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 5:01:56 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

The page updates as soon as the state dropdown is changed. From your messages it sounds like your page is updating very slowly so that compounds things. In that case I would recommend selecting the state with the mouse so that you don't have to wait for multiple page updates.

We may alter how this works in a future release. In the meantime, though, you can always customize it.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Jeff R.
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2016 1:49:50 PM(UTC)
Jeff R.

The page updates as soon as the state dropdown is changed. From your messages it sounds like your page is updating very slowly so that compounds things. In that case I would recommend selecting the state with the mouse so that you don't have to wait for multiple page updates.

We may alter how this works in a future release. In the meantime, though, you can always customize it.

I wish we could tell all of our customers to select the state with the mouse.

For now we moved Zip Code ahead of the state and phone number to avoid losing typed information while the customer is using the wacky state field.