• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

phillika
#1 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2010 5:23:50 PM(UTC)
phillika

I am a relative amateur at ASP.NET and I'm wondering if there a way to structure a URL for a product with choices such that when entered into the browser, the browser goes directly to product as if the user had selected the respective option?

For instance a product URL is (which is tied to the parent product) is: http://www.mystore.com/Products/Product-Number-One__SKU1234.aspx. When the user selects a product choice (e.g. black, white, etc.) the parent SKU still shows in the URL, but the SKU on the product page and the image changes to the specific child SKU that the user selected.

So, then is there a way to send a URL like: http://www.mystore.com/Products/Product-Number-One__SKU1234.aspx?choice=bvinforwhitechoice where the product with the white choice options already selected shows up?

Can anyone tell me how the URL should be formatted? I'm guessing that it's the parent URL, a question mark, then the variables.

Thanks!

Ken
Kman
#2 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2010 6:28:17 PM(UTC)
Kman

Never seen this before Ken so I am guessing not out of the box. Given the Ajax used it may be a challenge to accomplish. I was thinking of maybe using JQuery to read the url option parameter and set the proper selection. Given the wide range of attribute configurations though I am not sure of a direct approach.
Regards,
Kim(Kman) Rossey
www.toocoolwebs.com
BVSoftware - MerchantTribe Programming/Design, Database Programming and Business Applications
[email protected]
Marcus
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:41:56 PM(UTC)
Marcus

The default product page can accept a "lineitem" parameter which will pre-load selections from a line item in an order. You may be able to "trick" the page into pre-loading another set of information but it will require custom programming.
CFord
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2016 4:54:42 PM(UTC)
CFord

Has the status of this question changed since it was asked? Google recommends linking directly to an option/choice when submitting a product with choices to Google Shopping. Wondering if there's been any support added for this or if its still only possible with custom code.
Aaron
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 8:31:29 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CFord Go to Quoted Post
Has the status of this question changed since it was asked?
Wondering if there's been any support added for this or if its still only possible with custom code.

Currently it is not possible to link to a product with pre-selected choices, though this is a feature that we're considering for a future version. You could certainly custom develop this in the meantime if desired.

Originally Posted by: CFord Go to Quoted Post
Google recommends linking directly to an option/choice when submitting a product with choices to Google Shopping.

Fortunately this is a recommendation, not a requirement...yet. Note that in BVC 2015 we added support for choice products to the Google Shopping feed. To configure this you should check the "Include Choice Combination products (variants)" checkbox as shown in the attached screenshot. Typically you will want to uncheck the "Include parent of Choice Combinations" checkbox when doing this.
Aaron attached the following image(s):
Google Shopping settings.png (34kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
CFord
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:36:52 PM(UTC)
CFord

Ok, good to know. If/when this functionality gets worked on it would be nice if it tied into the faceted search system as well so that when a user is searching by a choice based facet they end up on product pages that have that choice pre-selected.