• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Joel Gray
#1 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2014 5:06:06 PM(UTC)
Joel Gray

United States

Hello, we have a client using BV 2013 that has a few products that are shipped in separate packages due to their size. I found this thread from 4 years ago talking about the inability to have 1 product contain multiple packages. At the time it was not available but the comment was made that it was something that would be nice to add in a future version. Has there been any movement on making that a reality or is there already a way to do it that I cannot seem to find?

Thanks in advance
-Joel
Aaron
#2 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2014 6:00:25 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Joel,

I can't say that this is on our radar. If this is something that merchants struggle with we might pursue it, though. Out of curiosity, do you have a link to that old thread?

In the meantime you should make sure the item is set to "Ship Separately" and possibly make use of the "Extra Ship Fee". If you wanted to get fancy you could create a Packaging Rules shipping method using the Shipping Rate Rule Providers. Within that method you could have the packaging rules look for items with a certain Type Property value that you use to signify that the product ships in multiple packages. This will 'group' the packages for these items into a package group which you can then reference in the shipping cost rules of the method. You then look for that package name and apply a cost rule (e.g. Rates from UPS x 3). I think with some careful planning and crafty rule-creating you can probably cope with this complexity.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
Joel Gray
#3 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2014 7:02:20 PM(UTC)
Joel Gray

United States

I can't believe I forgot to past the link to the old thread. It was at http://www.bvcommerce.co...-Multiple-Packages.aspx.

Thanks for the response, I'll have to dig into the rule provider a bit more and go from there. Thanks!