• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

dan @ HYAS
#1 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 2:07:54 PM(UTC)
dan @ HYAS

United States

Curious if the selection of one Choice/Modifier be dependent on the selection of another Choice/Modifier

For instance. I'm offering some of my product to be prelit with wither M6 LED String Light or LED Rope Lights. Well the Colors that are available are different depending on if it s the M6 LED String light or the LED Rope Light.

So when the customer chooses what type of light they would like. I would then like the appropriate Light color options to be displayed.

Thanks
Aaron
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:13:08 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dan @ HYAS Go to Quoted Post
Curious if the selection of one Choice/Modifier be dependent on the selection of another Choice/Modifier

Yes and no. In the admin you can set which choice combinations are valid so you could, for example, set the color choice "green" as a valid option for only string lights. In that case if the use chose green rope lights a message would be displaying saying that this is an invalid combination.

You could probably create a new variant display control that would conditionally display only those choices options that were valid, but the UI would probably need to progressively reveal one choice at a time. Meaning, when the page loads only the light type, string or rope. Once a user makes a selection the next choice, color, would be displaying showing only those colors that are valid for the given light type.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
Aaron
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:14:04 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Originally Posted by: Aaron Go to Quoted Post
In the admin you can set which choice combinations are valid so you could, for example, set the color choice "green" as a valid option for only string lights. In that case if the use chose green rope lights a message would be displaying saying that this is an invalid combination.

Note that this functionality works for choices, not modifiers.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
dan @ HYAS
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 2:34:32 PM(UTC)
dan @ HYAS

United States

Yes and no. In the admin you can set which choice combinations are valid so you could, for example, set the color choice "green" as a valid option for only string lights. In that case if the use chose green rope lights a message would be displaying saying that this is an invalid combination.

You could probably create a new variant display control that would conditionally display only those choices options that were valid, but the UI would probably need to progressively reveal one choice at a time. Meaning, when the page loads only the light type, string or rope. Once a user makes a selection the next choice, color, would be displaying showing only those colors that are valid for the given light type.

Not sure how to go about that, but, does sound like it would work. I guess i will start doing tom playing around and see what i come up with.
Aaron
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:59:26 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Not sure how to go about that, but, does sound like it would work.

All you have to do is click the "Product Variations" link in the left column of a product page. Then click the "Save" button. This should then display a checkbox list of the choice combinations. Un-check the combinations that are not valid.

Edited by user Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:24:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
dan @ HYAS
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:28:41 PM(UTC)
dan @ HYAS

United States

How does that end up making it conditional dependent on string light or rope light is selected?

Say i want to have this option:

Choose Lighted or not:
Not Lighted (std)
M6 LED String Light
Rope Light LED

Then based on that choice could I then set it up to display either Sting Light Color Choices or Rope Light Color Choices.

Can i display this when M6 String Light is selected
M6 LED Light Choice
Red
Blue
White
Pink
Green

Or Display this if Rope Light LED is selected
Rope Light LED Choice
Red
Blue
White
Yellow
Purple
Aaron
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:32:01 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

How does that end up making it conditional dependent on string light or rope light is selected?

You would need to have a single color choice which contains all of the color options for your lights. It would look like this:

Light Choice
Red
Blue
White
Pink
Green
Yellow
Purple

Then when you are presented with the checkbox list of choice combinations in the admin you would un-check the combinations that aren't valid (e.g. yellow and purple M6 string lights, pink and green rope light LED, etc).
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
dan @ HYAS
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:48:05 PM(UTC)
dan @ HYAS

United States

Ok, Got that to work. That sure does expand the inventory list. That also requires quite a bit of manual editing for the price increases for the light add on option

I will play with it some more.

Also I seem to be missing it. Where in the CSS is the style for the message that would display to the customer if they choose an option that isn't valid.

As well as the notification of the inventory is out of stock

Want to make them more noticable for the customer
Aaron
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:36:12 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Ok, Got that to work. That sure does expand the inventory list. That also requires quite a bit of manual editing for the price increases for the light add on option

The import/export feature in 2013 will help with this.

Also I seem to be missing it. Where in the CSS is the style for the message that would display to the customer if they choose an option that isn't valid.

As well as the notification of the inventory is out of stock

Want to make them more noticable for the customer

There may not be a rule defined in the out-of-the-box stylesheets for this; you may need to create one. If there isn't enough specificity you may need to edit the HTML on the frontend to add a wrapper class or something. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, post a link to a page on your site with choices and we'll take a look.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
sternyy
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:30:12 PM(UTC)
sternyy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There may not be a rule defined in the out-of-the-box stylesheets for this; you may need to create one. If there isn't enough specificity you may need to edit the HTML on the frontend to add a wrapper class or something. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, post a link to a page on your site with choices and we'll take a look.

I tried this with my template (which is not stock) and I am not getting an error message, but it is removing the pnlPrices panel. Aaron, I also noticed in the new 2013 template it hides everything but the reviews when you select a choice that is not valid with another choice.

medsupplier.com/choice-test.aspx

Edited by user Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:34:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Aaron
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:23:33 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Originally Posted by: sternyy Go to Quoted Post
I tried this with my template (which is not stock) and I am not getting an error message, but it is removing the pnlPrices panel.

Hmm, maybe the 'invalid combination' message was a customization that we did for another merchant. We'll see if we can get that worked into the new product template included with 2013.

Originally Posted by: sternyy Go to Quoted Post
Aaron, I also noticed in the new 2013 template it hides everything but the reviews when you select a choice that is not valid with another choice.

This looks like an artifact of the altered markup. We'll see what we can do.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce