• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

bvcoder
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 3:26:52 AM(UTC)
bvcoder

Has anyone looked into localization yet? I am planning to go this route as a couple of folks are interested in it. However, before I jump into it, I wanted to get a general opinion from you all. Some of the basic questions:

<OL>
* What content do you really want to localize? Static content from aspx/ascx, Site terms, database content (products/categories)? Some or all of these?

* What kind of a solution you might prefer? Build language specific resources into Satellite assemblies OR store language specific info in database OR store language specific resources in xml files (not resource files). There are drawbacks for resource files because if you decide to make a change to one of the resource files, you will have to recompile the source and obtain new satellite assemblies. A hassle. XML/database are probably neater.

* Would you be interested at all in localizing your website? Do you think customers really mind if a site is in English only? Do anyone of you have any statistics on where your orders are coming from? I mean which geographic location? Well there goes another add-on idea. A report that shows orders from different geo-locations.
</OL>
Keep your ideas flowing. Let me know if you think its a waste of time and resources to build such a thing.

Thanks,

Satya Vani

support @ bayquel.com
Thanks,
Satya
support @ bayquel.net
Work: +1 803 883 3226
birdsafe
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 12:35:42 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

All that information I get from Google Analytics -- our orders are worldwide -- we have customers that use translations services and sites to succesfully order from us.
bvcoder
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:01:45 PM(UTC)
bvcoder

But the question is - would you want to localize your site? What added advantage would you have if you localized your site?

Thanks,
Satya
support @ bayquel.com
Thanks,
Satya
support @ bayquel.net
Work: +1 803 883 3226
Crawdad13
#4 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2009 5:39:40 PM(UTC)
Crawdad13

I have a problem that we are trying to figure out right now, and that is, how do we exclude certain locale's (countries mostly) from being able to order our products. there are export controls that we must adhere to and we want to proactively prohibit the completion of transactions to countries that we aren't supposed to sell certain things to. Even trickier is that we have to figure out a wayto configure this by product or, even better, by product variation.

any ideas?
Aaron
#5 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2009 9:30:55 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Satya,

I think localization would be great, but I'm not sure how you could offer that as an easy, drop-in add-on. As to your questions...

1. We would want to localize all content, because inevitably that's where you would end up.
2. I agree that storing the content in XML language files (a la Community Server) or in the database would be better.
3. In the end if you're serious about international sales, you will localize. Also, I agree with Joe that Google Analytics should easily show a merchant where their sales originate.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
Aaron
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 5, 2009 12:09:41 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Sounds interesting, John. Keep me posted as this is a project we will tackling in the near future.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
dcs68
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:10:52 PM(UTC)
dcs68

I would be very interested in the multi currency!!! How can I get in touch with you?

Thanks,
Derek

Derek Schaaf

http://www.yourticketzone.com

[url=http://www.cmcdds.com][/url]