• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Andy Miller
#1 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 4:16:57 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
After more than 4 years of development and refinement, I'm pleased to announce the first beta release of Shipper 3.0 for BV Commerce 5.

<LI>You wanted to print labels directly from Shipper. Now you can. Shipper 3.0 uses ShipRush by Z-Firm to print the labels. No more import/export. ShipRush is the same shipping component built into QuickBooks.
<LI>You wanted better support for multiple carriers. Shipper 3.0 no longer requires a separate program for each carrier. All you need is ShipRush (which you may already have). One program to learn instead of 4.
<LI>You wanted better reports, packing slips, and emails. Shipper 3.0 includes a powerful drag-and-drop report writer. Now you can easily build custom reports and emails and send them as plain text, HTML, or as an attached PDF.
<LI>You wanted faster performance with high volume websites. Shipper 3.0 downloads new orders almost instantly and uses paged downloading to eliminate errors even if there are 1000's of orders.
<LI>You wanted better control over which carrier services to use. Shipper 3.0 allows you to define custom rules based on any shipment field.
<LI>You wanted to control which fields were updated in the store. Shipper 3.0 allows you to pick the fields that are updated.
<LI>You wanted to automatically print reports or send emails when you printed a label. Now you can. Shipper 3.0 allows you to define actions to perform when the shipment is first downloaded or when the label is printed.
* You wanted support for more back-ends. The Shipper 3.0 Agent will be available for BV Commerce 5 and several other platforms. But the really big news is that the source code for Shipper 3.0 Agent will be <b>open sourced</b>. That means you will be free to modify the existing implementations to work with your customized backend, or even create an agent for any other backend.

Download
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
MitchA
#2 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 5:23:18 PM(UTC)
MitchA

Sounds like overkill.

Kidding. I have no doubts.....

I'm trying to take a few days off now and then for the next month or so. I look forward to kicking the tires when I get back to a reasonable schedule.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Stealthauto
#3 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 12:59:39 AM(UTC)
Stealthauto

Andy-

Sounds pretty cool!

Any idea when this will be a release version? Should we be installing this beta on a functioning store? Any major issues that we should be aware of?

Thanks.
Andy Miller
#4 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 4:05:36 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Here's the plan...

I am releasing a new build each week on Monday during the beta period. Once I go for 2 weeks without a needing to fix a bug or add an important feature, I will switch to release candidate mode. During RC mode, I will release a new build every 2 weeks or so until no changes are required for 2-3 weeks. At that point, I will release the final build for 3.0.

I would not install a beta on a live production site. I would be willing to install a release candidate.

I plan to include sample data soon so that you can test the software without installing anything on your site.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Andy Miller
#5 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 4:39:47 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

MitchA
#6 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 5:23:08 PM(UTC)
MitchA

In the event there's a problem getting this running, will Shipper still connect (still work) so Fed Ex Ship Mgr can still be used til the problem is worked out?
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Andy Miller
#7 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 9:56:46 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Yes, they can be installed side-by-side on both the desktop and the web server. They do not interfere with each other.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

birdsafe
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:33:52 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

Since the ShipRush for FedEx is $195 -- what is the advantage of using this system over FE ShipManager?
Andy Miller
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:51:52 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

I can deliver more advanced features in Shipper 3.0 + ShipRush than I could with Shipper 1.X + Ship Manager. I hope those features provide an excellent ROI to you. If you find yourself thinking, "if only Shipper 3 did X, it would really be worth it!", please let me know. My goal is to make this the best shipment processor on the market.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

JavaNut
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:37:23 PM(UTC)
JavaNut

Andy -

We are implenting BV5 soon, and I will definitely be interested in getting more info from you about your new product. We use ShipRush SDK today and it is interfaced with our current ecommerce platform (not BV). We are able to print our shipping label on the same sheet as our packing slip, and print all our paperwork (pick/pack/ship) in batch. It works beautifully, but ShipRush wants us to upgrade to current version and our existing ecommerce provider wants a ton of money to rewrite the interface . . . one of the reasons we are leaving our current provider.

After some research, I landed on BV as my new ecommerce provider, but am not satisified with how shipping works. We anticipate going live on BV in September and will utilize the UPS Shipping tools that come with the system in the interim. However, we need a better shipping solution before our high volume holiday season gets here. So phase 2 of this project involves looking more deeply into your product offerings. I noticed your import/export for batch printing, but prefer not to introduce extra processes like that it into our environment.

However, your Shipper 3.0 might be just what we are looking for. Based on what I've read in your posts, we would need to purchase both ShipRush 6.0 and Shipper 3.0. There are several flavors of ShipRush, and I was confused as to which we would need. We are strictly UPS today, but in future, we may want to add other carriers. We don't use any of the back-end accounting systems ShipRush integrates with. Does that make a difference? What ShipRush product should we be looking at?

Also, what do you anticipate your product charge will be? Do you have any additional product documentation available so I can learn more about what Shipper 3.0 will do?

Thanks in advance.
birdsafe
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:48:53 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

Well -- Shipper/ShipManager work pretty well for me now, but since I have been trying to figure out how to get my drop shippers to ship using FedEx and using our account (because UPS is charging them sometimes double what FE is charging us), and because the built-in vendor notification in BV5 doesn't quite work well, if you could create a package that sends a vendor both a packing slip and a shipping label in one email, so that all the vendor had to do was package up the order, insert the packing slip, and tape on the label, that might be worthwhile. But again, at $195 for the ShipRush and then another $100/year thereafter, I'm not sure that even that would make it worth the added expense, when what I'm using now is working so well.

The two things I need to configure Shipper to do -- and I think it wil do both -- is to 1) configure the order dollar amount to the Cost figure rather than the customer SubTotal, and secondly if each order number in turn was automatically pulled into ShipManager when the previous order was processed (with the ability to Clear the screen and stop the cycle) --- two minor issues, but would make it a bit easier to deal with.
Andy Miller
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:57:06 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

If you do not have ShipRush, then you would get ShipRush for UPS Standalone. It comes in 2 flavors: basic and pro. This document describes the differences: ShipRush UPS: Basic vs Pro. Z-Firm has not added the standalone SKU to their store yet, so you will need to call it in. I will also offer it for sale on my site...though orders placed through me will take slightly longer (z-firm has not automated their 3rd party order system).

Both basic and pro include support for UPS, FedEx, USPS, and DHL. So if you decide to expand, you will be covered. If you want to print USPS postage, you will also need an Endicia account.

I hope to publish pricing and more documentation over the next couple of weeks.

I'd love to get your feedback on Shipper 3.0 in comparison to your previous solution. Unfortunately Shipper 3.0 does not allow you to merge the label onto your packing slip, but I am working on that for a future release.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

JavaNut
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:38:24 AM(UTC)
JavaNut

Andy - Where did you see that ShipRush UPS supports FedEx, USPS and DHL? I skimmed through the info you linked to in your post, but didn't see where they discussed supporting anything except UPS.

Thanks for the info on Shipper 3.0 pricing and documentation. I will keep an eye on this thread for future updates.
Andy Miller
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:32:48 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Originally Posted by: "JavaNut" Go to Quoted Post

Andy - Where did you see that ShipRush UPS supports FedEx, USPS and DHL? I skimmed through the info you linked to in your post, but didn't see where they discussed supporting anything except UPS.
In a phone call. I'll double-check before I post my "official" documentation.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions