• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

HPros
#1 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 5:17:58 PM(UTC)
HPros

Would like to see you charge a nominal fee for upgrades to help support the software. Nothing significant but a 30 or 50 dollar fee per major revision if it would help development would be warranted.
Marcus
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:49:31 AM(UTC)
Marcus

What would you expect from BV if you were paying for each update?
HPros
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2009 1:33:34 PM(UTC)
HPros

Nothing.

I think you should charge to help support your business. You've added major features and aren't charging for it. I don't think a single person here would object to you charging something nominal for major revisions (IE 5.2 to 5.3, 5.3 to 5.4 etc).

I'm not talking significant charges but 30-50 x all of your users cant hurt.
Marcus
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2009 7:28:09 PM(UTC)
Marcus

How frequently would you like to see updates if you were paying an annual maintenance fee? Once a year? Every 6 months? Every quarter?
eric
#5 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2009 7:35:05 AM(UTC)
eric

Quarterly upgrades to include all bug fixes/patches for the quarter, along with minor feature enhancements. I'd like to see Major feature enhancements (ie. Kitting) included in the 2nd and 4th quarter updates (ie. every 6 months) - that doesn't mean 20 new features every 6 months; rather a focused set of improvements that is doable in a 6 month period of time, so that the product is continuously evolving.

Included in the bux fixes/patches I'd like to see release notes. With major feature enhancements, I'd like end-user and developer documentation to support the changes. I'd also like to see a roadmap included in the 1st/3rd quarter updates outlining the feature enhancements planned for the 2nd/4th quarter release.
[email protected]
#6 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2009 6:43:33 PM(UTC)
bobn@laurastamm.net

I wouldn't put a timetable on any of the updates. That's only looking for more trouble. I suggest releasing an update when you have enough patches and new features to put in it. In other words when you have enough value added to charge for it. I also think a small charge for the update would be reasonable.

However the whole idea could open up a can of worms. What happens if I don't want SP2 or SP3 but do want SP4? Do you fix the broken stuff for free but charge for the new features? <shrug>

How about doing something like the mmorpg's do. Say $25 for each SP, but if you want to purchase SP4 in the example above you get SP4 plus all previous SP's for $50? Then at the same time offer the individual patches for free on the forums like you have been. That way people can select the fixes they need right now or wait until they are bundled in the next SP.

Bob Noble
Aaron
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:29:19 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
I'm not sure how I feel about it. Generally the service packs include a lot of bug fixes or changes needed to maintain compatibility. These are things that I don't think people would be willing to pay for. New features is a different story.

An artificial timetable for updates seems like a bad idea for the reasons that Bob mentions. Also, we don't want feature updates to the current version to impede progress to the next major release.

Honestly the biggest opportunity I see for BV is in the support department. People are clamoring for support. Offer it as a paid service or partner with another company that is willing to provide this service. Our customers are completely insulated from this because we fulfill all of their needs from design, development and support. However, for the smaller merchants and DIY-ers, I can definitely see this as something that they might want. Since I've started to post more actively on the board I've actually received a few support calls from forum members that just needed to have their questions answered in a timely manner.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
Marcus
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:15:46 PM(UTC)
Marcus

I justed the announcement that service pack 5.5 will be available on Thursday. This will be the last free service pack for BV Commerce 5. Customers who purchased recently will receive service packs free for 30 days after purchase.

I will be announcing more details about the annual maintenance plan on Thursday.

I can say that service packs will build on each other and if you decide that you want to install just a portion of a service pack to fix a specific bug you are responsible for the customization of your store. If you decided that you don't want the full service pack there is no guarantee that any future service pack will install or work correctly.

In the long run, the best bet is to provide feedback to me so that I can make the application more extensible in places where it might not be now. If you built a credit card plugin for BV Commerce 5.0 it should still work in 5.5 (maybe with minor tweaks). I'd like to improve the plugin model going forward so that there is less reason to customize the internal code.
HPros
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:33:46 PM(UTC)
HPros

Marcus I agree with Aaron, huge opportunity for support.

Please make sure all varieties of 5 are upgradeable to the newest pack 5.5. From that point I can see you not wanting to continue to carry all the options..make everyone responsible for getting to 5.5 first from here on out.

But, also, please keep some features available or at least make available the hack - such as pushing page state to the bottom of the page.

As far as a fee I think you should charge it, just make it nominal, 20,30,40 bucks.
Matt@9BallDesign
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:56:41 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

I just have to chime in and play the role. Shoot me for doing it...LOL..

Hopefully I'm not the only one. I dabble a little bit in the investment market and have literally no leg to stand on. But the keyword is dabble. I toss $100 here and pray for a 6% return. I buy a CD or two and get peanuts in 12 months. I'm not doing this for my retirement, I know enough to let the pro's handle it. And the Pro's get the real money. My dabbling provides something to talk about with my brother.

My client pays me $100 and makes $1,000. My client pays me $500 and makes $10,000. I'm not touting that I'm awesome, I can pull a few out of this forum, in this thread for that matter, that put me to absolute shame.

Pay BV dabble money and and that's what you're going to get. I know how much my client's are "investing" and I know how much they're getting in return.

To say that BV has gotten the correct amount of money out of myself and my client's is a bold faced lie.

This isn't dabbling in ecommerce. Thousands of transactions, thousands of dollars, thousands of visitors, thousands of listings, all thanks to BV providing the correct toolset for me to work with. At a mere $499. Are you serious?!?!?!?! At least the price is back up to a somewhat operable number.

Show me a $500 investment that returns $10,000 in 12 months and I'll cut you a check. Unless of course your name is charles ponzi or some derivative of madoff...

Again, I'm just playing the opposite role. I don't want to pay anybody more than I feel is necessary, but if BV isn't getting at least $150-$250 a quarter, we're staring at a BV6 release date of 2011 on outdated technology and we'll constantly be playing catch up to our competition.

Our proper investment in BV buys the necessary workforce to build us better solutions, faster, as close to bug free as possible and has it properly supported regardless of version.

Intuit wants to charge me $29 or something a month for support. They can get away with that number because they probably have 70% of the market using their product. Did I need their help this month? This year? No. So I'm not paying it.

I need BV's help on a hourly basis and I get it for Free. Rather than helping us count our money, BV is helping us make it. I'd rather feed that BV beast.
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative &amp; Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
MitchA
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:17:24 AM(UTC)
MitchA

Matt, I agree with your sentiment but the model you describe is weighted towards the pot instead of the cook. An ecomm platform is akin to the pots and pans in the kitchen, just tools. Whether the meal is worth eating isn't up to the quality of the pan or non-stick coating, it's the quality of the food that makes customers buy. A really great platform makes the goods look good and instills shoppers' confidence, that's it. Turned around, if my product line was a miserable failure, it wouldn't be the fault of the platforms that show my products. Therefore, examining an investment of a few thousand dollars in the site to make a million dollars in sales isn't a proper analogy.

After all, how many sites sell blister-packed products.. all the same - like walking into any Radio Shack. Does the code-behind sell the product on one site more or better than at another? Not really. I think Amazon is a horrible looking site. I got so lost and diverted there one time I forgot to go to the checkout and complete the purchase. That isn't successful marketing in my book.

One of the most successful sites in my market niche isn't an ecomm at all. This site sells almost the same volume of my products that I do and it's a MEEEESSSSS! Have a look:

www.crafthome.com

The real reason we all push Marcus towards improvement (and are even discussing product development funding) is that we'd all like to avoid jumping to another platform in order to get the next new "thing" in ecommerce that everyone else is working on or already offering. When Marcus stops working, developing, tweaking, we'll all have a tough decision to make.

Spend a few dollars now to avoid spending much more and months in labor later on. THAT'S the return on investment that's in play here, and that's why we care.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Matt@9BallDesign
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:22:08 AM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Originally Posted by: "Mitch" Go to Quoted Post

Does the code-behind sell the product on one site more or better than at another?
The answer is YES..LOL.. in terms of speed, accessibility, Usability, scalability and how this affects engine results, a huge YES! Remember when Target got sued for their lack of accessibility?

Price the GPS at MSRP +50 and good luck...LOL.. I'm in your niche a little bit with a client and I've drawn the same conclusion, the entire craftsmen market is really weird in terms of web design presentation, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Print is by far more used than the web (better suited for different thread, interested in your thoughts though!). I watch my pops in his workshop and I don't see a computer monitor anywhere. I see grid paper with chicken scratch that only he can decipher.

A good nonstick pan makes a better omelette regardless if the egg is store bought, market bought or that fake liquid stuff we get at hotels.... doesn't stick, doesn't burn in certain areas, easy to flip, easy to slide off onto the plate and start up a new one. Now a copper pan, while used by most professionals, can eventually introduce metallic poisons into the omelette... wait... totally off subject...LOL

You're right man. Just playing around :)

I've been here for quite some time, I struggle daily for my clients. I care deeply about their success, my success and BV's success. I don't want BV to undersell the support. It's so heavy a burden and while the maintenance fee concept is brand new to the community, there needs to be an understanding that this fee still isn't covering it.

Does marcus use the maintenance fee as a loss-leader product or does it get priced correctly that all is covered and we see a drastic turnaround because the proper staff (at $75-$80K @ 4 people) is in place to support AND develop?
Matt Martell

sternyy
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:37:18 AM(UTC)
sternyy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Matt... I totally agree. Luckily for us, in the medical industry everyone else is so far behind BV2004 in terms of technology, we dont need to upgrade to see every new feature. However, im totally on board with what Matt was saying. At the same time i would like to see a list of hot fixes from BV 3 on up to 3.5. That way if i have anything custom that we created, i can go in "one by one" and change, test, go live accordingly. Paying for it is definitely a must. Its my fault i decided to change some code that wouldnt make an upgrade / patch easy. Like matt said: "I need BV's help on a hourly basis and I get it for Free. Rather than helping us count our money, BV is helping us make it. I'd rather feed that BV beast."
Matt@9BallDesign
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:47:07 AM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Proper working capital will allow for proper staff to provide all of the things we all so desperately need. Marcus is walking a thin line. I don't see a gray area, it's going to win or lose customers.
Matt Martell

HPros
#15 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:19:34 PM(UTC)
HPros

With all the costs associated with running a business today minimal upgrade fees aren't a huge deal. There's such a long period of time between releases of the full product there needs to be a bridge, I think most of us agree.

Take it easy on the amount, whether it is 40 or 60 for the update I don't think most will care, get to 99 or 150 and some may get upset.
Chris Dittmeier
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:40:58 PM(UTC)
Chris Dittmeier

I personally do not charge my customers for errors I make. New features and improvements are a different story than bug fixes. But I understand the need to be profitable also.
Chris
Sirius Programming

www.siriusprogramming.com
Marcus
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:41:56 AM(UTC)
Marcus

Chris,

If the service packs were just bug fixes I'd agree with you. They're not. Every month there is a new email from PayPal or Google or Amazon or UPS telling us that something needs to be changed. As the number of integrations has increased the work load to keep up with them has increased dramatically.

Yes, there are bug fixes in the service packs. That's a normal part of the software business. Only NASA and some flight control systems are bug free and they pay a huge price for that quality. I can guarantee bug free but you won't want to pay the price. Bugs are not just "errors that I make." Yes, some are mistakes but others are complex interactions between features. Unless you are willing to pay a much higher price for the software it is not feasible to test every single feature interaction in any large piece of software.