• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

MitchA
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2009 12:15:27 AM(UTC)
MitchA

I can often combine items in one box and edit the invoice to save a shopper some money on shipping. When I know that I can combine a few items in a box, it'd be nice to see the amount charged for the smaller items and refund this before capturing the charge. As it is, I have to create a cart or two and pretend to ship it to the shopper's zip code.

Most of my products have to ship separately because 2 of them would weigh 50 - 60 pounds. But often, a smaller item can go in the same box as a larger item. I don't have any problem with the store not knowing how to figure this out, but....

How about a [[Product.ShippingCost]] tag (including the 'extra ship fee') for admin emails/receipt or a break-out of individual costs on the invoice page?

Seems to me if I can have a vendor ship one box and also ship another from the store and get a total on the invoice, it shouldn't be too hard to obtain two separate ship costs for two separate boxes shipping from one location. I'd just like to see a little more of the back-office process at work so I can edit if needed.

Too much to ask for?
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Marcus
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:29:38 AM(UTC)
Marcus

Mitch,

There is no universal way to determine the shipping cost per product. We don't pass a list of products to UPS, we pass a virtual "box" that we built and they price it. With some shipping methods (like per-item) it would be easy to display this. With others (like per-order tables) it would be difficult. Do we price out the cost as a percentage of the price of the product? A percentage of the cost based on weight? There really isn't a single way to determine what the per-item cost of shipping is in a universal way.
MitchA
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2009 8:22:29 AM(UTC)
MitchA

Two boxes shipping from different zip codes (different manufacturers/vendors) must be quoted by UPS separately, then added together and displayed, right?

Two items shipping separately from the same zip code (same manufacturer/vendor) are also being added together before being displayed. Isn't that why we specify 'ship separately'? I'm sure these two shipping costs can be displayed. Somewhere, they're coming back separately to get added together on the checkout page.

I just want to see the various shipping quotes on the screen before being added together.

Box A - NJ to CA, $10.00
Box B - NJ to CA, $12.00
Box C - CA to CA, $8.00

Total - $30.00. How come I'm not allowed to see the math? If I can combine A and B, I can cut the bill by $10.00.

Tell me Paypal won't allow it and I'm spitting coffee on the screen.

Matt, the shipping can increase by 100% depending on the destination. Per item shipping is mot flexible enough for 40 pound, oversize 3 pieces.
MitchA
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2009 9:04:02 AM(UTC)
MitchA

Matt, the goal is to make it easy for the shopper, and to save the shopper money to remain competitive. The shopper is KING.

Shoppers don't read disclaimers, the just gasp at the shipping total and leave, or call for a human to check it for them if they think it's too high.
Andy Miller
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2009 11:04:06 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Mitch - Do you want to show the math to the customer also? If not, Marcus could record the interim results by creating suggested packages for each virtual box that is created and display the shipping cost with each. It would look very much like your sample.

As an aside, Google Checkout does not support multiple warehouses (aka ship from vendor, ship from manufacturer) or multiple shipments of any kind. 1 order == 1 shipment. I don't know what PayPal Express Checkout supports.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
MitchA
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2009 11:31:51 AM(UTC)
MitchA

Originally Posted by: "Andy Miller" Go to Quoted Post
Mitch - Do you want to show the math to the customer also? If not, Marcus could record the interim results by creating suggested packages for each virtual box that is created and display the shipping cost with each. It would look very much like your sample.

No, the shopper doesn't need to see the math, that might prompt a request to combine packages that can't be combined. I can do that on a cart edit before capturing the charge. Makes a shopper smile when I send an email telling someone I saved them $10.00, $15.00... on shipping.

In the example shown below, I now know that I can ship both for $28.00, not $34.00.

I don't need the software to do any extra math or eliminate the $6.00 ship charge, I can do that. BUT, I can only do that if I can see the $6.00 charge somewhere.

I can't imagine adding this information is that difficult.

You don't ask.... you don't get.
MitchA attached the following image(s):
Shipping breakout-3.jpg (52kb) downloaded 119 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Marcus
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:02:46 PM(UTC)
Marcus

Mitch,

I'll look into it. Remember that every shipping method in BV is not UPS or based on boxes. The software supports various shipping models that could be based on order total, customer's email address or just about anything else.
MitchA
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:24:14 PM(UTC)
MitchA

Thanks Marcus.

I cases of shipping based on order totals or other fixed calculations, the admin could know the figures. When based on outside 'real-time' quotes, we're in the dark unless the admin goes to the store, puts a product in a cart, fills in the zip code and obtains a quote and looks at the list of methods that the shopper saw and then selected from.