• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

TKatch
#1 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2014 11:49:28 AM(UTC)
TKatch

I thought I would start to offer gift certificates but I'm not familiar with the process. I added a gift certificate product with customer selected price and then ran a test order. How does the customer receive the GC number? If they call to ask for it, where do I find it? I see a GC email template, but that doesn't seem to automatically get sent to the customer. Also, any good website examples offering GC's?
Aaron
#2 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2014 5:56:41 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
To start, here's some basic information about gift certificates:

http://www.bvcommerce.co...e/gift-certificates.aspx

Originally Posted by: TKatch Go to Quoted Post
How does the customer receive the GC number?

When the order is marked 'paid' the gift certificate will be generated and the customer will receive an email with the gift certificate number (that's where the email template comes in).

If they call to ask for it, where do I find it?

You will see a list of generated gift certificates on the Catalog >> Gift Certificates page in the admin.

Also, any good website examples offering GC's?

I don't know any offhand. Sorry! You could browse through the showcase to see who else is using them.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
TKatch
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2014 7:24:32 AM(UTC)
TKatch

Thanks, Aaron that was very helpful. How about formatting the GC page? I don't seem to be able to do any formatting from the admin page since I can't use html coding. I'm using a modified Tek Gear theme and the page looks super generic - nothing like my product pages or other pages.
Aaron
#4 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 10:04:43 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

How about formatting the GC page? I don't seem to be able to do any formatting from the admin page since I can't use html coding.

Gifts certificates work just like product pages in that they use their own product templates. If you look in the /BVModules/Product Templates folder you'll see two gift certificate templates, one for fixed amount certificates and one for arbitrary gift certificates (i.e. where the customer defines the amount).
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
TKatch
#5 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 10:52:27 AM(UTC)
TKatch

Thanks Aaron, I was able to make some formatting changes. How can I format the Description text since the Admin page will not allow HTML?
Aaron
#6 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 11:30:27 AM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

How can I format the Description text since the Admin page will not allow HTML?

You will need to disable request validation for that page. To do this change the first line in the page to this:

Code:
<%@ Page ValidateRequest="false" Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/BVAdmin/BVAdmin.master" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="GiftCertificateEdit.aspx.vb" Inherits="BVAdmin_Catalog_GiftCertificateEdit" title="Edit Gift Certificate" %>

Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
TKatch
#7 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 3:39:36 PM(UTC)
TKatch

Excellent, I changed the first line of code in the bvadmin/Catalog/GiftCertificates.aspx page and all is working as I had hoped. Thanks, Aaron.
TKatch
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 1:45:13 PM(UTC)
TKatch

Why is the Gift Certificate notification going to the customer from [email protected]? The customer is going to have no idea who that is.
Aaron
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 1:54:17 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Why is the Gift Certificate notification going to the customer from [email protected]?

That's the default email address that's used. You will need to change this default by editing the email template.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
 1 user thanked Aaron for this useful post.
TKatch
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:43:50 PM(UTC)
TKatch

How about being able to include the Order Date in the GC email? I can't seem to get the tag [[Order.Timeoforder]] to work (I would prefer the date, without the time, if there is a tag for that). No matter what I try I get an error when I try to send the email from admin: "This Email Template Could Not Replace All Tags. E-mail Will Not Be Sent.". Is there something blocking this tag from working on this email in particular, since this tag seems to work for the New Order Receipt email?

Reason for order date: Since the GC has an expiration date, I need to reference the order date as a start date.
Aaron
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 4:11:55 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

I can't seem to get the tag [[Order.Timeoforder]] to work (I would prefer the date, without the time, if there is a tag for that). No matter what I try I get an error when I try to send the email from admin: "This Email Template Could Not Replace All Tags. E-mail Will Not Be Sent.". Is there something blocking this tag from working on this email in particular, since this tag seems to work for the New Order Receipt email?

Not all replacement tags work in all email templates. In the case of the gift certificate template, order tags (i.e. [[Order.X]]) do not work.

How about being able to include the Order Date in the GC email?...Reason for order date: Since the GC has an expiration date, I need to reference the order date as a start date.

This is a good point. We will make sure that we add the issue date as a replacement tag in the next release. Note that the issue date is more accurate than the order date since the gift certificate code is not created until the order is marked 'paid' (which could be a day or two after the order is placed).
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
 1 user thanked Aaron for this useful post.