• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

HPros
#1 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 8:24:49 PM(UTC)
HPros

We have numerous products that are the third, second, fifth incarnation of a particular product. Promotional products manufacturers tend to go with names that have worked for them in the past even if the new product has very little to do with the old product. It's aggravating to some extent because it adds to the confusion, and it also creates some issues in creating the appropriate web address. How would you name this product and more importantly would you use II or 2 when you are doing up the URL? Also, are most of you putting the suffix for the page at the end of the product or are you leaving that out? In any case, the Port Authority All-Season II Jacket is a prime example. There is already an all-season "1" that has been on the market for several years. Now there's a 2. What I worry about is a dupe content penalty or filtering.

Do you use roman numerals or just basic numbers? Also, do you believe proper brand names should be in caps, or should it all be lower case in the address?
Matt@9BallDesign
#2 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 9:18:00 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

To be honest, I have no factual evidence behind my method. Duplicate content? I say no, given there is some differences between the content of the individual pages for I and II, spiders are smart... I assume...lol..

I've always operated, "If the Manufacturer names it so, I will follow suit", if the engine penalizes, submit a claim that it is not in everyway possible even if it's through a general support form.
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative & Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
Aaron
#3 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 10:11:22 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Originally Posted by: "HPros" Go to Quoted Post
How would you name this product and more importantly would you use II or 2 when you are doing up the URL?

I agree with Matt; name it the same way the manufacturer does (or the most common name if different than the way the manufacturer names it).

Also, are most of you putting the suffix for the page at the end of the product or are you leaving that out?

If you mean the SKU, I think this is only helpful if the SKU is actually something that people search for; otherwise it is just noise.

What I worry about is a dupe content penalty or filtering.

I wouldn't worry about it. You should not get into trouble for something like that. Matt's also right in that the page is still different.

Also, do you believe proper brand names should be in caps, or should it all be lower case in the address?

Title-case (proper case) brand names in text. For URL's, always go with lowercase if it's practical. If you find that you're getting link juice from different casing of your URL's, use the canonical link tag.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
Craig@Trinity
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:43:49 AM(UTC)
Craig@Trinity

I remember reading that you’re supposed to use roman numerals when creating pages for multi-generational products. If you use basic numbering, you run more of a risk of crawlers regarding the two as equivalent, and possibly be penalized for duplicate content. Have you thought about creating extensions for your product pages. Also, product names as well as brand names are supposed to be capitalized in an address.