• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

HPros
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:46:19 PM(UTC)
HPros

I've often wondered why some pages will be picked up by the search engines while others will not? This seems to be an increasingly fickle situation.

As an example, the PolyPro Big Grocery Tote has been up for weeks, is part of the sitemap, is no different than any other product page and yet it's not indexed. I can see in the logs Google visits the page frequently, but it's nowhere to be found? Content is custom etc. Yet another incomplete product page - an orphan someone started and forgot about was actually indexed with no picture (red x), bad html and the rest. What I wonder about is similar items - similar named items anyway causing problems. We have 3 or 4 of the products in that line, none of them are indexed PolyPro Box Deluxe Convention Tote

etc. Very frustrating as I see pages from competitors indexed with duplicate content galore, all of it pulled from the same XML file. So much for content is king.

Are there new tools available that makes it easier to flag potential problems in the content?
HPros
#2 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 7:36:37 AM(UTC)
HPros

UPDATE: Some of it may be the templates employed. I'm finding that G is pulling up at times the related proucts in lieu of the actual product page. IE, for a few days the Arches Recycled Poly Messenger Bag was pulling up the related product listed on the page, the Arches Recycled Poly Backpack Tote this seems to happen for tons of new product listings. When I switch back to the old template from 2004 this doesn't happen nearly as frequently so I'm thinking my custom template placement is confusing G into thinking the page name and title go with the description for the related item.

I'm going to add 5 and 5 today and will report back.
Omer
#3 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 10:37:34 AM(UTC)
Omer

Hello,

The problem is your sitewide link structure. PageRank is not equally distributed between your main category pages. For example; one of your products "Leeds Eco 100% Recycled Owl Deluxe Padfolio " has the same PageRank 3 as one of your category pages "Eco Friendly Promo Items", while your important category pages like "Auto Accessories" has no PageRank at all. Also you have 161 links on your home page and all the pages linking to all the category pages. You need to make sure your site structure follows a logical path from home page to your main category pages, then to the products.
HPros
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:35:26 AM(UTC)
HPros

Yep, totally understood. Part of this is arbitrary, Google seems to do what it wants to do. As an example Leeds PolyPro Cinch is indexed on the catalog page which is probably caused by the unequal promotion/distribution of importance you describe. Yet other products were just put up last night and were indexed an hour later. I think a lot of it depends on what G deems important relative to other sites. The Tempo 100% Recycled PET Carry-All Tote was up and then vanished, others never seem to get indexed at all like the Tempo 100% Recycled PET Zippered Padfolio and most of these variances seem to have little to do with placement within categories. I think a lot of it is offsite, when looking at percentages of indexed pages to total pages in most cases we seem to do okay. I'm beginning to think even if we did 100% of what G says we should do at best 50-70% of products would be indexed at any one time.

My thinking is that G tries to be fair as well and spread around some of the s erp performance.