• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
matthewtlh
#1 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2008 9:14:35 AM(UTC)
matthewtlh

When adding a new product that I wanted to show at the top of a category the other day I had to click the little up arrow about 50 times to get it where I wanted it using manual placement.

Using AJAX to drag and drop these things right where you want them would be a great feature IMHO.

I'm using BV5 SP2, so maybe this has been addressed already.

UPDATE:

Here's and example of what I mean:

http://tool-man.org/examples/sorting.html
::matthew

ARCmotiv.com

MitchA
#2 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2008 10:26:43 AM(UTC)
MitchA

WOW! Can we have this instead of kitting??? This is an upgrade I'd pay for.

While we're at it, can we also have an option to place CrossSells at random - sim. to the way flash image rotator does it? New products are a pain to place onto older product's pages.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Matt@9BallDesign
#3 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2008 1:04:06 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

In my opinion it should be put in right along with kitting.
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative & Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
MitchA
#4 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2008 3:09:25 PM(UTC)
MitchA

Matt,

Well... I'm not inclined to keep asking for stuff that I didn't bargain for. You can't bring a car back and ask for an upgrade to GPS in the dash without expecting a bill. Kitting's been promised for over a year and we're due that because many laid their money down expecting it to be part of the package. No doubt lack of kitting is costing BVC sales.

Drag and drop sorting functionality is a big leap and likely to come in BV6 if at all, or, from BVC or an enterprising third party as an add-on.
Matt@9BallDesign
#5 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2008 4:08:21 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Maybe I misread your original post. Reads that you would prefer sorting over kitting.

I presented this type of category sorting to BV probably more than a year ago when 5 was in beginning stages. There are apps out already utilizing the feature and frankly, after building 2 BV5 stores of substantial size and 4 more in the works of equal or greater size, the current setup is time consuming, slow and prohibitive to realistic deadlines.

Sorry BV!!! I think you spoiled me with BV2004. There is a difference between the performance of both apps. Apples to Oranges I'm sure.
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative & Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
Cliff
#6 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2008 4:39:32 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Yeah, we talked about drag/drop sorting way back when. I don't know if it's because of limitations with the chosen ajax library - Anthem - or just time, but it didn't make it.

I think it'll take a lot more than draggable sorting to make the admin usable, but just that one feature would make a lot of merchants and service providers much more productive. But in truth, it's just one of the many things I, Matt, and others, bargained for but never got, and I think the lack of advancement in the time since just makes things worse. Matt hit the nail on the head. We've lost a lot and gained very little in return.
MitchA
#7 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2008 5:16:35 PM(UTC)
MitchA

Matt, I have little use for kitting. I'd trade that for easier sorting (all over the admin quite frankly) plus 3 or 4 'pebble in the shoe' things also at the top of my list.

Some major improvements I'll gladly pay for either in a BVC 5 and a half release (non-hotfix), or BVC 6. I signed up for BV4 in March '06 and was told to wait for BV5... In many ways, I'm still waiting. Some things are much better for the merchant in the control and look of the front end (customer-side) than where I came from. Some admin functions are there, just 'dated' in function and usability.

So much of what we see on the screen takes up way too much real estate and many pages culd be condensed into one or two. Five tabs on the order info page for instance. We can condense the screen and easily show everything at once. Admins lacking permission to see cc info would see ****. Etc.

Way too many controls are scattered around the admin. It's cluttered and confusing and tough to learn your way around. Even though everything works, you can tell that the designer doesn't use the software to set-up and run a store.
Cliff
#8 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2008 5:47:33 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Originally Posted by: "MitchA" Go to Quoted Post
Even though everything works, you can tell that the designer doesn't use the software to set-up and run a store.

I think the main issue is that BV doesn't actually have a "designer" on staff. Interfaces built by developers aren't often the most usable. Of course, a decent interface depends on a decent designer - one who considers workflow and constraints and can sacrifice things that only clutter - so even with one titled "designer" on board the boat may still be a bit leaky.
[email protected]
#9 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2008 8:24:49 PM(UTC)
sales@rudystoys.com

The drag and drop feature in admin would be awesome..
matthewtlh
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2008 12:43:40 AM(UTC)
matthewtlh

[color=red>Yeah,]</b> drag/drop sorting way back when. I don't know if it's because of limitations with the chosen ajax library - Anthem - or just time, but it didn't make it.
Cliff[/color]

Is changing to a more robust AJAX that big of a deal? At least for the admin pages. I know that Aram switched me to a different flavor for my product pages so we could do the material chooser. I'm not a programmer, so maybe I don't fully understand the size of the undertaking.

I've been working with Wordpress, a free blogging software, for a while now and every day I see new plug-ins that do the kinds of things I'd like to see in commercial software...this AJAX functionality and the sitemap generator are just a few.

Of course for me, one of the biggest features would be more advanced options pricing.

Almost all my products have multiple options that affect the price and availability of another option

having product modifiers within product options would go a long way!
::matthew

ARCmotiv.com

[email protected]
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2008 12:54:43 AM(UTC)
bobn@laurastamm.net

I agree with Rudy. Drag and Drop would be awesome. I put in a request (a year ago) for some admin user defined sort options for that exact problem. I think they were added but I don't know how to use them for our purposes.

Our problem with clicking the buttons is we display the product in several different categories. Every time I add a product it goes in on the bottom and I have to click buttons in 3 or more categories. If I remove one, then subsequently add it back, I have to start over again. And we don't have that many products. It's got to be a real pita for those of you with decent sized catalogs.

Bob Noble

I do still like the software though.
lcasey
#12 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:06:22 PM(UTC)
lcasey

Here's another vote for drag &amp; drop. It would be very helpful.

Linette
Marcus
#13 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2008 7:46:08 PM(UTC)
Marcus

A major overhaul to the administration side is planned for BV Commerce 6. Yes, we do in fact use our own software at bvsoftware.com/store and are aware that some things could be better. I personally, was never happy with the way category and product sorting ended up in BV Commerce 5. I feel your pain in some areas of the software but I firmly believe that BV Commerce stands up extremely well to our similarly priced competitors at the moment. There are some great new innovations that we're watching closely in other web based software and experience over features will drive BV Commerce 6.

Kitting is scheduled for service pack 4 for BV Commerce 5 by the end of march. Our current development has most everything working from the admin and store side with a few select options being completed for kitting. Service pack 4 will also include an enhanced registry system capable of handling wishlists, baby registries and wedding registries.

We have evaluated switching from Anthem to another AJAX framework for BV Commerce 5. Our most likely candidate (and most requested) is the Microsoft Ajax library. At this time many of the major web hosting companies do not support the framework and that has limited our options for a BV Commerce 5 change up on Ajax.
MitchA
#14 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2008 9:17:28 PM(UTC)
MitchA

Thanks, Marcus. This helps set up our expectations.

When will you start soliciting wish-list items for 6? There are more than a few good ideas and solutions out here.
CorneliuTusnea
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:45:40 AM(UTC)
CorneliuTusnea

Marcus,
Can you please explain this "At this time many of the major web hosting companies do not support the framework".
MS Ajax is an extension to your site not to the web server so as long as a hosting company supports ASP.Net 2.0 (which is a minimum to run BVC) they support AJAX 1.0 as well they like it or not.
Adopting MS AJAX would be great. Maybe even implementing something like DevExpress or Infragistics for the grids and controls of the admin side could be considered. These controls are awesome with some great functionality from sorting, filtering, d&d. You would save lots of time and resources by implementing such controls.
Regards,
Corneliu.
http://www.bestgames.com.au
http://www.bestchess.com.au

BV Product Links, Details and Signatures: Improve your customer experience:

http://www.acorns.com.au/projects/bv/quicklink/

Marcus
#16 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:10:21 AM(UTC)
Marcus

We are accepting suggested for BV Commerce 6 all the time. This feature request thread is the best place to post ideas or you use the contact form on the web site to submit ideas.
Marcus
#17 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 9:55:59 AM(UTC)
Marcus

Corneliu,

Some of the Microsoft ASP.NET AJAX features won't work unless the DLL is installed in the GAC due to medium trust on some hosts. This means that until .Net 3.5 is more widely supported we may have to hold off on moving away from Anthem. Also, there is a serious risk of introducing bugs when we switch out javascript libraries and we would prefer to do this in a full version upgrade where we have more time for testing.
Andy Miller
#18 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 12:03:44 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I don't get the strong interest in MS Ajax. The base library is less functional than Anthem (e.g. validators have very poor support) and it is much harder to "ajaxify" any page.

Now that MS Ajax is baked into ASP.NET 3.5, it is easier to build a site using MS Ajax, but you still have the lack of functionality. Some of the controls in the Toolkit are cool, but there is nothing even remotely like drag and drop ordering in a GridView.

There are Ajax libraries that have more features than either MS Ajax or Anthem, but none that have everything. And very few that integrate with ASP.NET.

If I were designing BV6 and wanted to stick with ASP.NET WebForms, I would plan on using at least 2: MS Ajax to appease people that want to tinker with it, and one other for the visual components. The commercial libraries (Infragistics, DevExpress, ComponentOne, Telerik) have all done great things "ajaxifying" their control libraries, and they are extremely well integrated with ASP.NET. Any of them would be my first choice.

If I were willing to abandon ASP.NET WebForms (perhaps switching to ASP.NET MVC): Yahoo and Tibco are building some fantastic javascript libraries that do incredible things. Unfortunately it would require a major rewrite from scratch.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
Cliff
#19 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 12:37:43 PM(UTC)
Cliff

I have to agree, I don't really get MS Ajax and really don't like it either, just from my limited experience with the demos and looking at some of the docs. MS can be really sloppy when it comes to web stuff, and MS Ajax is a good example, from my point of view.

It's easy for me to say, as a designer, but I'd abandon WebForms in a heartbeat. If BVC6 went .Net MVC I'd be pretty happy, if just because I understand it better through my Rails work.

I have a difficult time working with/around Anthem, probably because I don't completely understand how to customize it in separate scripts. I'd love to fully take advantage of any of my favorite js libraries - like MooTools, jQuery, or even Yahoo's - without so much interference. It's all just so messy and heavy right now.
Marcus
#20 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 12:57:34 PM(UTC)
Marcus

We are considering MVC. We're meeting with some of the ASP.NET team in Vegas next month and I hope to get a better feel for the direction and timeline of the MVC project.
2 Pages12>